Which Control Device Do You Play Evochron With?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).

What controller do you use?

Keyboard and Mouse
No votes
Gamepad
No votes
Joystick (single stick)
No votes
HOTAS Joystick
100%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 1

Drake6430
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Drake6430 »

G11 Keyboard with a WOW Cataclysm gaming mouse.
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Plain ol' keyboard + Mouse.

Using a Joystick ought to be fun, though...
Viper
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Viper »

I use a Logitech MX5500 Revolution bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Never used a joystick before, although I imagine it should be pretty cool on Evochron.
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by sundalo »

anybody know whats the name of the cable that connects from the x52 throttle onto the stick itself? I'm thinking of buying a spare. Its not the cable that has a USB end.
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

As far as I know there is only a USB cable from the X52.
There is such a thing as a gaming port, but it is a 15 pin connector and is not available with the X52.
I think you can buy an adaptor, butt I don't see the point.
Perhaps I don't understand the question?
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by sundalo »

I believe its a serial cable like the ones used on older mouse controllers but this one connects to the serial port on the x52 throttle. I lost one and need to buy a spare

MMaggio
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by MMaggio »

Here we go, I have several X52's and none of them have a serial port. Just the USB.
I think the X45 comes with a serial port and I have a few of them. I will look and see. If it does, you are welcome to it.
I could be confused and wonder if you are referring to the serial port that connects the stick to the throttle, but that is built in and I don't see how you could lose that!
I have tto ask, are you sure you are talking about the Saitek X52 controller?
I don't think there is a USB to serial port convertor. I think one of us is confused.
Will you please dble ck what it is you need and let us know?
I thank you... MM

[Edited on 8-15-2011 by MMaggio]
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 112558, Topic: tid=847, author=sundalo wrote:anybody know whats the name of the cable that connects from the x52 throttle onto the stick itself? I'm thinking of buying a spare. Its not the cable that has a USB end.
Mini DIN 6 Male/Male 6.0 ft.
Check out: http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7276
;):cool:

I had to get one myself because one of the pins broke. I got mine from Cables to go. But they do not have them any more.

[Edited on 8-16-2011 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by sundalo »

thank you Maars, that sounds about right. Lol I'll be seeing you on multi soon after I format my pc lol

ECC01
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by ECC01 »

Using a cheapo (good once tweaked-in, not programmable)
Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X

Some deadzone in the stick, but using DXTweak from Logitech you can reduce sensitivity further to make it useable for most stuff.

Only 1 hatswitch :( so using JoyToKey to assign Y O P M to the hatswitch directions, and disabled in-game.
Small suggestion: Would be a useful addition to the configuration page of game to allow assignment of Hat directions as if they're buttons
max_load
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by max_load »

Started off using my Logitech Wingman Force, then MS Sidewinder Precision 2 because of the twist/rudder. I've recently rebuilt my rig into a HD media center after a catastophic Hard Drive failure so have no desk space as such so am now using Logitech Wireless Desktop MK250. Works a treat.
\"Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe. Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you. Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature. From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.\" - Marcus Aurelius, 121-180AD
Goffik
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Goffik »

Joysticks are a must for me in space sims. Anything else just doesn't feel right and reduces my immersion. I currently use a Thrustmaster T.16000M which is an excellent stick. It uses magnetic sensors which makes it very smooth and precise.
Image Image
Unknown
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Unknown »

I use a laptop and its attached keyboard, a 5 button gaming mouse, and 10 fingers! As my computer only allows for up to 2 buttons to be pressed at the same time, multiple keys are an issue.
shepard_3
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by shepard_3 »

I have a Logitech Extreme (I think thats the name). I would have bought a Saitek too, but its expensive as hell...
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by sundalo »

I was just wondering if a gaming mouse is a viable option for playing this game, I know there are some people here who use mouse and keyboard exclusively and I'm hoping to hear them share their thoughts and experiences playing this game whether pvp or not with this setup and what gaming mice they prefer.

shepard_3
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by shepard_3 »

Though I own a Logitech joystick (my previous post), I mostly play Evochron with Mouse and Keyboard. Don't know why, its just not that much of a flying sim for me. Probably because I play a lot of other Sim's (Space Shuttle Mission Sim, FSX) and in Evochron I prefer to be fast in the menu's and stuff...

[Edited on 4-11-2011 by shepard_3]
Dingo
Commander
Commander

joy

Post by Dingo »

From post: 118725, Topic: tid=847, author=shepard_3 wrote:Though I own a Logitech joystick (my previous post), I mostly play Evochron with Mouse and Keyboard. Don't know why, its just not that much of a flying sim for me. Probably because I play a lot of other Sim's (Space Shuttle Mission Sim, FSX) and in Evochron I prefer to be fast in the menues and stuff...
Hi Shep,

I have owned numerous saitek flight systems and a logitech, but i actually prefer mouse and KB for Evochron games as well. It is rather more "precise," at least for me.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Viper
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Viper »

From post: 118706, Topic: tid=847, author=sundalo wrote:I was just wondering if a gaming mouse is a viable option for playing this game, I know there are some people here who use mouse and keyboard exclusively and I'm hoping to hear them share their thoughts and experiences playing this game whether pvp or not with this setup and what gaming mice they prefer.
I use a keyboard and mouse, and frankly haven't ever felt the need to go get a joystick. Before EM I played Freelancer, and it was the same story there.

I don't know a lot about specific gaming mice. All I can tell you is that I use the Logitech MX5500 Revolution Bluetooth Keyboard / Mouse combo. It's not specifically designed for games, I use it mainly for the quality of the (soft touch) keyboard and its handy shortcut keys, and because of the fact that the mouse is extremely precise, which proves its benefits in graphical design. It's a pretty expensive combo though, but perfect for the purpose I use it for.
For playing games (well EM is the only one I play nowadays, if at all) it does the job perfectly fine for me. But if you're looking for a real gaming mouse, I bet there are other mice that have more features specifically tailored to that purpose.

~ Viper.
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

joy

Post by DaveK »

From post: 112874, Topic: tid=847, author=ECC01 wrote:Would be a useful addition to the configuration page of game to allow assignment of Hat directions as if they're buttons
I use a Saitek X45. It has several hats - 2 on the stick and 2 on the throttle. There are also three modes so that three different sets of buttons/hats can be programmed - nore than I need or can handle :P

I use the two throttle hats for the views (programmed from keys) and roll + next hostile + target ship in gunsight (also programmed from keys)

The stick hats are (precision) pitch and yaw controls (programmed from keys) and strafe (set as the joystick HAT default)

You can switch the main HAT as ON - OFF - VIEWS or STRAFE; If it's ON then all your HAT buttons can be programmed from keys. If it's allocated to ,say, strafe then any extra HATs can be programmed as keys. The only issue is if you use an 8-way HAT, it's probably worth only using the NESW positions unless you want to bemuse opponents!

hope this helps :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Angitherias
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

joy

Post by Angitherias »

HI all, I'm trying the demo with a Logitech dual action gamepad, but thinking mouse and keyboard would be better as the throttle always wants to reset to 320? when I let got of the thumb stick.
Rubber Chicken
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Rubber Chicken »

From post: 119320, Topic: tid=847, author=Angitherias wrote:HI all, I'm trying the demo with a Logitech dual action gamepad, but thinking mouse and keyboard would be better as the throttle always wants to reset to 320? when I let got of the thumb stick.
When the thumbstick centers, it basicaly sets the throttle to 50%
You may want to use keyboard control, or assign a couple of the buttons on the pad to control throttle. You can then assign the free thumbstick to other axes you might find useful like u/d/l/r strafe.;) (Setting the stick axis to "Energy Control" however basically does what throttle does - returns to center position when released. I would say use the keyboard for your shield/weapon energy balance.)
Support National Take Your Chicken to Work Day!
-------------------
100% Organic, free-range and zero-antibiotics. STILL the toughest bird in the Evoverse.
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

joy

Post by sundalo »

Well I stopped using my x52 and switched to keyboard and mouse, much more comfortable and less hassle than memorizing the keybinds on the stick and throttle plus the precision is awesome especially coming from fps shooters, so this feels right at home lol.

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL....Sundalo. Memorizing the X52 Keybinds is like learning the controls of your Car, GPS System, Radio/XM System, and how to do Grocery shopping, but ofcourse it all depends on what kind of Car your driving and for what purpose!.....;):P:P:P:P:P:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

joy

Post by SeeJay »

Actually it's not that hard to memorize what you need on a X52.

I put all stuff I need quick access to for combat and a few other stuff.
All else I use the kayboard to. That takes it down to slightly more than 1 mode only.;)

For other games or if you put everything on the X52 I do agree! Vey much to memorize!:P
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Reaver 1
Ensign
Ensign

joy

Post by Reaver 1 »

I use the Logitech X3D. I also play on a laptop, so I have had to remap all of the default numpad features since the laptop doesn't have a numpad.
Don\'t hate me because I am beautiful!