[EM] Resolution problems, 'cannot detect/activate compatible screen resolution' *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Solokaldaka
Ensign
Ensign

[EM] Resolution problems, 'cannot detect/activate compatible screen resolution' *FIXED*

Post by Solokaldaka »

Hello, I just downloaded the game today and I'm getting an error message with no error number and this is the full text of the error "Video error: cannot detect/activate compatible screen resolution" I don't know how to fix it nore do I know why it cant detect the screen resolutions I have

PC rig can be viewed at this link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4928
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: resolution probs (fixed)

Post by Vice »

It's possible something blocked the game from being allowed to save configuration data for the game. Check to make sure the game has permission to write such data to your hard drive and that a file named sw.cfg exists in the default save data folder of c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary. If that file isn't there, then something on your system blocked the game from saving the configuration data.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
OtherGuy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by OtherGuy »

From post: 125013, Topic: tid=8457, author=Solokaldaka wrote:Hello, I just downloaded the game today and I'm getting an error message with no error number and this is the full text of the error "Video error: cannot detect/activate compatible screen resolution" I don't know how to fix it nore do I know why it cant detect the screen resolutions I have
I had the same problem, got around it by setting the desktop resolution to 1024x768, however now the graphics in the game a pretty chunky at such a low resolution.
It still won't run at 1920x1024, the ingame options only show up to 1024x768 (not sure if that's normal), and if i set it manually in the sw.cfg file it comes up with the attached pic.

[file]533[/file]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The game will generally pick up resolutions DirectX reports are available. So if it can't find a resolution on your system above 1024X768, the game won't be able to either. If you are certain that you have a particular resolution available on your system that just isn't being detected, you can apply the desired setting in the first line of the sw.cfg file (make sure to include a capital X, ie 1920X1024), then right click on the game's desktop icon (or create one if needed), then click on Properties, then in the 'Target' field, add the text -forceres to the end of the value there (make sure to include a space between the end of the '.exe' and '-forceres'). This will force the game use whatever resolution setting you specify in the sw.cfg, which if not available, may just crash the game.

This error occurs when DirectX is unable to detect the current default desktop or specified selected display resolution as an available mode for playing 3D games in. When DirectX reports to the game the mode is not available, you'll see the error message. It can be caused by:

1 - Having an incorrect driver installed for your monitor. Make sure your monitor has the correct driver installed for it and not just a 'generic' mode driver. You often need to have both the correct display driver -and- monitor driver installed in order for DirectX to detect and enable some resolutions for 3D games. Otherwise, the resolution your desktop is set to or that you've selected may not be available for 3D games.

2 - Damaged/corrupt sw.cfg file in the save data folder (default location is c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary). This file may have been harmed due to external interference from an outside program and/or security settings interfering with the game's read/write operations. You can optionally rename the file to something like sw-bak.cfg or delete and relaunch the game to allow it to try and recreate the file.

3 - A resolution value specified in the settings menu is not compatible with your current display device/driver and monitor/driver setup. You can optionally delete the sw.cfg file mentioned above to allow the game to apply automatic/optimized settings. You can also edit the first line in this file to direct the game to try and enable a specific resolution that is compatible with your current display device/driver and monitor/driver setup. For example, enter 1024X768 to specify that resolution and make sure to include a capital X between the horizontal and vertical pixel values.

Edit: Another option, if you don't want to use the -forceres desktop icon target option is to just include a (blank) text file with the game's EXE file named forceres.txt and the game will do the same thing.
StarWraith 3D Games
OtherGuy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by OtherGuy »

Tried that, comes up with Runtime Error 1507 - Display using 32 bit is not supported by available hardware at line 595.
However, I see what you are saying about DX not reporting the resolutions that the graphics card supports.
Seems odd, will investigate further.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for the update. It could just be the monitor. If it has the wrong driver installed or some other setting not applied, it may be telling the rest of your system it can only display up to 1024X768. So it could be an easy fix.
StarWraith 3D Games
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Solokaldaka, welcome to the game and forum...Hope to see you out there some time!...:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi OtherGuy, welcome to the game and forum...Hope to see you out there some time!...:cool:

Now we have SomeGuy and the OtherGuy!......;):P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

OtherGuy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by OtherGuy »

From post: 125074, Topic: tid=8457, author=Vice wrote:Thanks for the update. It could just be the monitor. If it has the wrong driver installed or some other setting not applied, it may be telling the rest of your system it can only display up to 1024X768. So it could be an easy fix.
Hit the nail on the head mate, got onto the LG website and installed the monitor properly, instead of having it as a Generic .. makes sense.
Sorry, Thanks for all your help Vice.

Hi Maarschalk, soon you might get a SomeOtherGuy .... :P
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

I would prefer to get MyGirl instead of SomeOtherGuy or MyGuy!.......;):P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Kraylis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kraylis »

I am having the same issues. After looking over the recommendations here None of them worked for my computer. I dont see a way to attach my system information here. My current desktop resolution is 1680X1050. I have an Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 graphics card. My monitor is an Acer AL2223W. Windows Vista 32 bit 4gb of ram.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Couple of suggestions:

1 - Try launching the game with 'Run as adminstrator', test for changes.
2 - Install the independent build from the game's official website, make sure to use the default installation settings so all files are in the same folder, then launch and test for changes.
3 - Verify you have the correct driver installed for your monitor.
4 - Make sure your desktop is set to 32-bit color depth and update the driver for your video card.
StarWraith 3D Games
Kraylis
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kraylis »

Thanks Vice for the reply. I have done the above information and I am still having the issue. I do not recall if i mentioned it before but I have the steam version of the game. If you would like my MSInfo32 file to help you better understand my system I will be happy to provide it to you. Just point me to an email address :) cheers.
smifster
Ensign
Ensign

Post by smifster »

Hi guys i'm having the above issue but am using a laptop details are:

Processor: Quad-core 2.5GHz Intel Core i7-4710MQ, RAM: 16GB, Screen size: 15.6in, Screen resolution: 1920x1080, Graphics adaptor: 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M, Total storage: 1TB hard disk.

hope you can help
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

First, run the DirectX web installer to make sure you have the required modules installed on your system:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... layLang=en...

Once that's done, you can run this test program which will display what your system reports are available 3D resolutions on your system:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmerce ... onTest.zip

Simply extract the file from the zip and run the program. If the problem continues, it may reveal why your system is telling the game no compatible resolutions are available.

Also verify your desktop is set to 32-bit color depth.
StarWraith 3D Games
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

I don't know if it could relate but back inthe CRT days you often had choice of setting the monitor frequency, 60Hz 70Hz 75Hz etc.

Make sure you are using the Hz recommened for your monitor.
On some LCD monitors I think you can use like 60 or 75 HZ but some you can not or are not supposed to change them.
Probably not it but at least worth considering.

And you should try to find a driver for you monitor although I think all it does is put information inthe system for App use since there is really no "driver" for a monitor.
smifster
Ensign
Ensign

Post by smifster »

Hi guys i think i fixed it well for me anyway i R/click desktop icon then click on troubleshoot compatibility, then Troubleshoot program, Then ticked the box with :the program opens but doesn't display correctly,click next, save, done.