Another AMD HD6970 user

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
tlolell
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by tlolell »

sigh it still freezes.. it worked for half an hour last night when i put resolution to 640X400 or what eva it is... it just irritates me that that i spent so much on this high end graphics card nd the game still doesnt work:(
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Vice »

Has anyone tried the steps at the AMD website link I posted? Also, please post the driver version you are using with your 6900 series card. And if you do try different (older) driver version, please post those as well along with the results. In particular, I'd like to know of results using driver versions older than 11.12 released on 12-16-2011.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Vice »

In addition to my post above, AMD just released new drivers today (12.1), so I'd be interested to know if they improve things for the 6900 series of video cards:

32-bit Vista and 7:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... n7-32.aspx

64-bit Vista and 7:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... n7-64.aspx
StarWraith 3D Games
tlolell
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by tlolell »

sweet i did the roll back vice. nd i got about half an hour more game time before it froze. i tried the amd steps still no luck. so far what has worked better than nothing is pumping graphics super low plus the driver change( cud be coincidence). will let u know how new drivers work out
Bordet
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Bordet »

Hi!

I just registered to announce that I am experiencing the same problem as described by Korimaru.

I tested the new 64-bit drivers Vice mentioned but without any success, still experiencing the same problems. Then I tried to turn of v-sync as suggested by mattbazz and this improved my game time from 6 min to ~60 min.

My specifications:
Win7 x64
AMD Radeon HD6950
4GB RAM
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
750W PSU
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Vice »

Thanks for the update on what drivers you've tried. This appears to be a specific problem with the 6900 series of video cards as anything from the 6800 series on down does fine. So it's likely specific to those video cards and something related to drivers. I would suggest submitting the issue to AMD at the 'Windows Vista/Windows 7 Driver Feedback' link at the bottom of that driver page, or if the link works, here it is directly: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3
StarWraith 3D Games
Bordet
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Bordet »

Thanks, I just submitted the report to AMD. To bad I can't play the game for a while now. :'(
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Tlolell, welcome to the game and forum!...Hope to see you out there some time!...;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Bordet, welcome to the game and forum!...Hope to see you out there some time!...;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Al Rascala
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Al Rascala »

Hi guys, I've had the same issue and after emailing AMD tech support, they suggested I try the beta 12.2 drivers, which seem to have fixed the problem for me.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Vice »

Great, thanks for posting the info. Are you also running a 6900 series 3D card?
StarWraith 3D Games
Al Rascala
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Al Rascala »

Yep, Radeon HD 6970
Bordet
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Bordet »

I just tested the 12.2 beta drivers but without any improvement... Still crashes after about 30 min of game play. But nice if the bug is fixed for the 6970 cards.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 129617, Topic: tid=8351, author=Bordet wrote:I just tested the 12.2 beta drivers but without any improvement... Still crashes after about 30 min of game play. But nice if the bug is fixed for the 6970 cards.
You might have a different problem. Make sure you have enough consecutive memmory to run the game. Also there might be some processes running in the background interfering with the game. Sytems with 4GB of memory can have resource problems like this! Try setting Planet detail to low and see if the crashing after 30 minutes stops. Also the temprature of your graphics card might be running to high after 30 minutes and making the game crash!....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Maalek
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Maalek »

Dear friends,

I also own a Radeon 6970 ATI graphic card and getting game-freezes. I got one with catalyst 12.1, 12.2 and with 11.2. This really give me the creeps, after buying a game, which I am now unable to play and enjoy until a catalyst version will be developed which "might" solve the problem. But I won´t give up, as next I will try downgrading with 11.6 version or maybe another driver like those mentioned above... this aero-thing maybe.

Please post it here if you guys found a final solution for this problem, Thx very much!
Nova_Solo
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Nova_Solo »

Hey Maalek and welcome to Evochron!

Check out Maarschalks post above. If you have over 4GB or more of RAM, then you can use the minor fix located here http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... p?t=112556 to make the .exe Large Address Aware. I had a similar issue until I used this program. I use a Radeon Mobilty 3400 set in crossfire for a whopping 512MB of video mem, and I can practically run the game on maximum video settings without any loss of performance. The laptop gets hotter than a fresh pancake, but I can go for hours!

Lt. Junior Grade
Star Wolves Clan
Call sign: [SW]Nova
IceCold
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by IceCold »

Evening Ladies and Gents,
. Just wanted to report in. I suffer from the same freezes and sound stutters. I'm also using a 6970 2GB.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Vice »

For anyone else encountering the problem, please be sure to report it to AMD here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EAC

Edit: Updated the reporting form link.

[Edited on 7-27-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
Buckaroo
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Buckaroo »

Just wanted to add to this- I have the same problem on a 6950 runnin Catalyst 12.1. I can do multi-hour sessions with other games I'm playing right now (Skyrim, Portal 2, DiRT 3), but I get a hard system hang consistently after 20-40 minutes of Evochron Mercenary. I filled in the survey recommended above, FWIW.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Vice »

One possible solution that may help (as reported by players of a few other games such as BF3 and MW3 who encountered the same kind of freezing issue with 6900 series cards) is increasing the voltage to the card via ATI overdrive or other manufacturer tweaking utilities. If you decide to try this, please post what voltage settings you tried and what your results were.
StarWraith 3D Games
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Maarschalk »

Also something to look into is PCI-Express 2.1 backwards compatability issues. All Radeon HD 6950 are PCI-Express 2.1 and my understanding is these cards are not backwards compatible wit motherboards with older PCI-Express slots and can make some graphics taxing games cause to crash!

Read the "History and revisions" of the below link!.....;):cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Bordet
Ensign
Ensign

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Bordet »

Hi, I just tried to run the game with Catalyst 12.3 drivers for windows 7 x64. The sound stuttering is now gone, but the game still freezes after about 40 min.

This time, I just left the game running in the starting area in single player without doing anything to see if it would help. The result was as described above.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Vice »

Thanks for the update. Have you tried changing the voltage settings at all? If so, what values have you tried?
StarWraith 3D Games
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Maarschalk »

Another suggestion is to check your power management/sleep/hybernate settings if any of them is set for 30/40 minutes. Also if you have a Terabyte Hard Drive which requires 10 seconds or longer to wake up from hybernate or sleep and can cause the game to crash. Some of your Computer Hard Ware(1TB or bigger Hard Drive for example) could be going in a sleep/hybernate mode while playing the game because once the game is up and running everything is loaded in to memory and running from memory! Then when for some reason the game or other application needs acces to the hard drive it can not acces the 1TB or bigger hard drive fast enough and the game crashes or freezez. Happened on my sons 1 TB hard Drive computer! I have set all Power Management/sleep/hybernate settings on his computer to never sleep or hybernate and no problem since! Found out about this on Techforums while searching for solutions!......;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Another AMD HD6970 user

Post by Capt_Caveman »

good tip, I have always disabled them for same reason regardless of hdd size.