Getting better frames (or: how I'm pimping my ride)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Hey it's me again with plenty of noobish questions.

1) I'm kinda baffled with the ship frames, are they seriously unbalanced or am I missing something?
For instance, I'm able to get Mammoth and Centurion frames, but as I compare the stats in the docks, it looks like I'd be really silly to get centurion since it seems to have worse stats on every category, but it looks waaaay cooler.
Are there some hidden features to these or is it just looks vs. performance?
I mean, the Centurion flavortext promises me of prominent combat vehicle and all, but Mammoth has more armor, is more nimble, fits more toys etc. What am I missing? o_O

2) Since I truly dislike the look of my current Mammoth -frame, where can I get my hands on Leviathan? I've been scouting throughout the known space and can't find a single station/planet which would sell those. Do I need to rank up my fame with certain faction before they are willing to take my money? :)

(Yes, I'd fancy a starmaster, but can't be bothered to start guessing where to find this "secret location" which the flavor text implies).

3) weapon heatsinks. I've been lead to believe they are available on the "green economy" areas, I've wasted around 1M on docking fees now and they aren't available frigging anywhere. Are the items vendor inventories related to my reputation in the system?

also: oh man I wish the docks would have some kind of indicator on the frame stats of the difference to the current frame, I always end up writing my current frame stats on paper and comparing them to the one I'm looking at the moment.
I mean like, portion of the statbars as red for negative and blue for positive difference.
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

1. They are unbalanced a bit. Mammoth will far outperform a Centurion in combat roles.
2. In MP you can find a Levi in both Atlas and the pearl Warzone.
3. You can find one in MP in the pearl warzone.

Where to find the best items in SP is semi-secret. I can u2u them if you like.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Err.. am I to take that some items are available in MP only? Why? o_O

Aaand about u2u, I'm kinda against spoilers, but it doesn't seem like evochron is much of a game with a plot so.. why not. :P
Are the items in question usually found by dumb luck or are there some kinds of hints to those?
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

From post: 114458, Topic: tid=7966, author=Malix wrote:Err.. am I to take that some items are available in MP only? Why? o_O
All items are available in both SP and MP. The difference is that since player stations can affect the economy of systems, some systems that already have a high economy level have been boosted to hidden planet levels.

Completing the IMG quest will reveal the locations of areas where the better equipment can be purchased.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You don't pay docking fees at player-built stations ... so, if you're in hostile space, seek out a player station. And all the specifications are available at SeeJay's website, here:

http://evochron.junholt.se/objectdescri ... object.htm
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

MMaggio has persuaded me that a lower rated Levi is a better combat frame than a StarMaster to the extent that I'm going to have a play! :)

Similarly I'm finding that a C2 particle cannon (IceSpear) out performs my previous favourite C8 Maxim

Bigger engines just give you a higher top speed, no improvement in acceleration.

If you use a stealth generator, you get the same total hidden time regardless, but the recharge time varies with several factors

It's proving to be an unexpected fun activity i the Evochron Universe - finding out the truth rather than beleiving the advertising blurb! :P

It would seem that experimentation is worthwhile!
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

A Levi will take more hits regardless of how the game has it rated vis a vis the starmaster, but the turn radius, even with maximum wings, is truly brutal. I used one in TWZ yesterday, but it really cramped my style. Takes a nice beating, but the chim takes a better one if you want to drive a truck, and doesn't require paying a crew.

It was fun to have a levi on my vonarion, andromeda, riftspace, road trip last night though.

[Edited on 9-6-2011 by Dingo]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I prefer the Mammoth. Used it in the Quest for Peace and, thanks to my science officer, we found the wormhole (in about ... oh, say two seconds) Wavey searched for but never found. Never underestimate the value of a good crew.
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

From post: 114469, Topic: tid=7966, author=Dingo wrote:A Levi will take more hits regardless of how the game has it rated vis a vis the starmaster, but the turn radius, even with maximum wings, is truly brutal.[Edited on 9-6-2011 by Dingo]
tbh, I seemed to perform way better with the centurion when I had it. The slow turning rate made me do less radical manouvers thus keeping my speed from stalling :D
Atleast I seem to get killed WAY more often with mammoth even with small groups of enemies, and with centurion I took 6-8 baddies at the same time with ease.

So that does it, I'm coming to multiplayer to get my feet wet and to get me some Leviathan-lovin'. Hope it's not too cumbersome

Edit:
From post: 114467, Topic: tid=7966, author=DaveK wrote:Similarly I'm finding that a C2 particle cannon (IceSpear) out performs my previous favourite C8 Maxim
Wait.. what? How does this make any sense, unless the indicated yield/cycle/range stats are completely off o_O

[Edited on 9-7-2011 by Malix]
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

Icespear is more energy efficient, allowing you to fire off more shots without cooldown despite the lower damage.

[Edited on 9-7-2011 by sundalo]

\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

From post: 114499, Topic: tid=7966, author=sundalo wrote:Icespear is more energy efficient, allowing you to fire off more shots without without cooldown despite the lower damage.

so, so true.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 114499, Topic: tid=7966, author=sundalo wrote:Icespear is more energy efficient, allowing you to fire off more shots without cooldown despite the lower damage.
:cool: When you're jousting via inertial, more shots you don't get. So, with fewer shots per pass, power is everything.
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

I respectfully disagree with marvin on the power v speed and range of cannons. Icespear all the way. The point is not to make passes anyway, which can take forever PvP. The point is to take your agile ship, and turn it at rough angles your opponent's over-hyped dump truck cant keep up with, and then blind them with a vicious rate of fire until they explode.

if you are flying said dumptruck, as most do, a more powerful weapon may well be in order however.

also against ai, i find the ice kills vonari much, much quicker, with the bonus of being able to keep your weapon energy nearly maxed, and thus available for the shield recharger if you use one.

I will admit though, that there are a number of effective winning strategies in both PvP and PvE, and finding what works for a player's given style is probably more important that pure loadout efficiency. But the endless cannon and frame debates are fun :D
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

For getting better Frames you need to upgrade your System and Graphics Card......;):P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

LOL maars, the tireless comedian! :P
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Thanks a bunch all, I did finally visit the MP!

As instructed in the first reply, Atlas catered to my Leviathan needs (feels more suited to my way of flying than starmaster)! So yay!

Also pearl seems to be the place to be, the WZ had the heatsinks & some unmentionable engine to sell! My ship is beyond amazing!

Also seems like every other bad guy around Ruckus carries a nice pile of antimatter. It seems money is not a concern anymore as selling manufactured fuel converters make insane $$$.

Have to give a try to the ice spear cannons still, I have hard time removing Maxim-R from the slot :D
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

All of the 120 cyclic-rate cannons seem to put just a tad more "hardware" down-range, comparatively. Their "effective" ranges differ, as well as power draws, per usual. You might jist test-fly each of 'em, if'n ye haven't already. :) Congratz on the trade route. Insane $$$ is right! :P:P:P:P :cool::cool:
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

oooh, the higher cycle value, the faster it shoots? Oh boy do I feel silly now, I thought it meant the interval between shots, ie: higher value means longer intervals -> shoots slower...

Live and learn, huh. :)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Try to install a fancy horn, depending on the way it blows you might go faster.......;):P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

Ya Malix, the higher the cyclic-rate-of-fire = the-faster-it-shoots = a "hail-of-lead" down-range, hopefully on target. :) Weapon cyclic rates of fire are fairly well understood by those who REALLY LIKE auto or semi-auto guns, and things that go BOOM in the night. The only "intervals", per se, are those when you remove your finger from the trigger, run out of ammo, run out of supplied power, or the barrell melts down. (Both here in the Evochron Universe and in what passes for the real world). Burst and/or trigger control usually helps with ammo and power supply issues. And, as your ammo is "crafted" from your fuel bunkers/energy supplies, it'd be a good idea to have an adequate capacity to supply all of your weapons' needs. Good luck and good hunting! :P:P :cool::cool:
Commander
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Isn't that called, "accuracy by saturation" or something like that?
I used to use the maxim and I have tried most of the others.
I like the hard hitting Banshee, but am willing to try the vaunted "Icespear" when I get a chance.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

or "Peace through superior firepower". :P:P:P
Commander
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL Busch!....;):P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats: