Gas giants

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

Hi everyone, this is my first post here although I've browsed the forum a bit already and found useful info, such as a map of the universe in Evochron (and the Solar System is really far...). BTW, amazing game, actually a dream come true :) . I've played quite a bit but due to lack of time haven't explored it as much as I'd like. Only today I've gone to another solar system, Olympus and I saw on the nav map 2 planets very close and went there. It seems to be a gas giant Olympus Omicron and its moon.

Now, my question may seem a bit strange... but gas giants both fascinate me and also terrorize me to the point that if I think too much of their atmosphere or simulate it with a game I start feeling a bit of panic and unwell, maybe like a phobia, but not so intense, I don't know. I already did it in Universal Combat and Battlecruiser Millenium and after getting in I had to get out ASAP, and that game already caused a sensation of disorientation and the graphics aren't even half as good or realistic. :P

With that said my question is: can anyone show screenshots and/or a video of going to a gas giant atmosphere in Evochron? I can't find anything... I know it may sound silly, but I'd like to see it before venturing myself. My last savegame is my ship with Olympus Omicron at my front trying to get courage to go there because I know I'm going to feel unwell and some panic as usual. But... like I said, I also find those planets... fascinating, as Spock says.

BTW, another question I have: stars in solar systems. I see their gravity field starts to attract us torward it. Are those stars actually "touchable" as planets? If we don't "fight" the gravity pull will the ship crash with the star?

Thanks.
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Gas giants

Post by Malix »

Heh, why not, I think I can get you a video of that when I get off from work :P

Though I can't quite fathom why, you have your game saved at the orbit, just dive in and if you get lost, just exit without saving and when you load the game next time, you're still at the orbit.

Will deliver anyway, just because. :P

(ETA around 8-9 hours)

Edit: about stars, I think you will be destroyed quite a way before touching the star, due to heat or sheer amount of gravity. Not quite sure which.

[Edited on 8-30-2011 by Malix]
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Gas giants

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome capella.

Stars will kill you if you get to close.

Some Gas giants have really violent "weather" and will bounce you around a lot and
might even kill you.

I don't have a video of it, but I'm sure someone will create one for you shortly.

Also keep your eyes open for BlackHoles and WormHoles.

If you "feel unwell" when flying in a Gas Giant, you can always self-destruct to respawn at
your last save point.

Hope to see you in MP sometime.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
mikeuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Gas giants

Post by mikeuk »

Welcome capellamusic just dive into a gas giant, make sure you save your game frequently and back up frequently.

See you out there ;)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gas giants

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Stars and gas giants are two different in-game type objects. Some gas giants have a solid core and you can land on them ... others, no. Stars, on the other hand, are as you would expect a star to be. Very hot, very gravitational, and very deadly if you get to close.
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Gas giants

Post by Malix »

Aight, video soon-ish available, only uploading and some youtube annotating to be done (that means there is spoken explanation of anything, didn't feel like butchering english pronounciation with my scandinavian accent :P)

EDIT: Done! Youtube: Evochron Mercenary: Gas giant (Atlas Prime)

[Edited on 8-30-2011 by Malix]
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

Thank you everyone for the answers and tips, and thank you for the nice welcome! :) And thank you very much Malix for taking the time to make that awesome video, really appreciated! :D Been wanting to see that for quite some time, and it really looks awesome and realistic in Evochron Mercenary!

Now I gotta make my dive too... and try to lose that unconfortable feeling. I guess my problem is that I tend to live too much these simulation games, as if it was actually happening, and it gets quite terrifying, but... fascinating. :)

Maybe I'll give it a try online some times (still checked just once that way) when I get a bit more experienced in Evochron. This game amazes me so much, it's more like a work of art, and with so much to explore. The people behind it really did an outstading job.

Thanks again! :)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Gas giants

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Capellamusic, welcome to the game and forum. See you out there some time...;):cool:
@Malix, Nice video and nice explosion...;):P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

From post: 113972, Topic: tid=7939, author=Maarschalk wrote:Hi Capellamusic, welcome to the game and forum. See you out there some time...;):cool:
@Malix, Nice video and nice explosion...;):P:P:P:P:P

BTW, after checking Malix's video and the answers in this thread I took the dive into Olympus Omicron gas giant last night :) . Before doing it I marked my nav point at the position I was outside the planet to have as a reference to get out :P . It worked out well. I guess this may not be one of with the most violent atmospheres, but it did shake me a lot. I didn't get too deep, it was just a quick dive. It was cool but that "uneasy" feeling I always get with the inside of these planets was there as usual. But it won't keep me from doing it :) . I wonder how a fight within a gas giant would be like with a few ships, lol.

I also did my first kill on this game, pretty cool, but the fighting in space seems hard. I entered another solar system from a warp gate, with IDS turned off and there was a hostile ship close to the gate. Fortunately just one. I started as miner/explorer BTW, but already did some upgrades while exploring Sapphire.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Gas giants

Post by BraveHart »

"Welcome Aboard Capellamusic" Congrats on your 1st kill Olympus is a Good place to cut your teeth on fighting Hostiles and with a little practice you'll be ready for some great fighting in the War Zones. ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Shieldwolf
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Gas giants

Post by Shieldwolf »

woof Welcome to the interstellar medium of Evochron. :)
capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

From post: 114007, Topic: tid=7939, author=BraveHart wrote:"Welcome Aboard Capellamusic" Congrats on your 1st kill Olympus is a Good place to cut your teeth on fighting Hostiles and with a little practice you'll be ready for some great fighting in the War Zones. ;)
From post: 114029, Topic: tid=7939, author=Shieldwolf wrote:woof Welcome to the interstellar medium of Evochron. :)
Thanks :) . My kill count is now on 9 . I'm getting the hang of it, but I tried some contracts with combat that were very hard and those I didn't succeed. Been on Wolfzone too and tried the black hole in Sapphire, but the 2 ways I tried didn't work out, but I saw the wormhole inside. I didn't find them though, I used http://mercenary.junholt.se/ to see if I missed anythng on those 2 systems :P . Not sure why I always get destroyed when I try to land on a city on the Wolfzone planet. The atmosphere was pretty violent too, like a gas giant.

Anyway, one thing I'd like to do is get to Sol, but something tells me it won't be easy. I don't even know where to start. I have to explore a lot more. :)

[Edited on 2-9-2011 by capellamusic]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Gas giants

Post by Maarschalk »

It takes some practice and a certain trick to get through the wormhole inside a blackhole. And yes the atmosphere on Wolf Planet is very, very violent you need a strong heavy ship and engine with highest class shield and dock and do bussiness very quickly and pull up anker and leave very quickly you have about 5 to 10 seconds....LOL....;):P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

I'll have to find out how to do it sooner or later :) .

So, it was due to the atmosphere my ship exploded?... I thought I was attacked from the city. But if it's due to the atmosphere why does it happen only when I get really close to the ground (only tried above the city)? Weird planet, huh? :P Anyway, my ship, although already upgrade a few times, is still very puny :) . Still, if it will be 5-10 seconds that will be kinda like "buy first, think later" :) .

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by capellamusic]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gas giants

Post by Marvin »

:cool: At least, if you manage to dock at the city on Wolf, you can come back to MP and read in Chat the welcome you got before you blew up.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Gas giants

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 114285, Topic: tid=7939, author=capellamusic wrote:I'll have to find out how to do it sooner or later :) .

So, it was due to the atmosphere my ship exploded?... I thought I was attacked from the city. But if it's due to the atmosphere why does it happen only when I get really close to the ground (only tried above the city)? Weird planet, huh? :P Anyway, my ship, although already upgrade a few times, is still very puny :) . Still, if it will be 5-10 seconds that will be kinda like "buy first, think later" :) .

Yes, when you get close to the ground or City you get smashed against the ground and buildings or city objects by the turbulent weather so you die instantly if you are not carefull.....;):D:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gas giants

Post by DaveK »

From post: 114285, Topic: tid=7939, author=capellamusic wrote:Still, if it will be 5-10 seconds that will be kinda like "buy first, think later" :)
Bit like the Christmas sales! :P:P:P:P
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

So, it really was the weather... that is one aggressive planet...

BTW, I'm currently on Mars on Sol :) . Yes, I checked for a route on that site with the map, I went from Sapphire to Thuban (just got in kept flying very fast to avoid hostiles missiles, and went to my destination) then to Orion, and then from Orion I marked the coordinates of the gate to Riftspace and made the travel with auto pilot making a lot of fulcrum jumps. Then on Riftspace I refueled on the star with the fuel converter, then went to the Sol WH. Once on Sol of course I had to try to go to Earth, and surprise... ship blown as expected :) . So I reloaded, went to the Moon and now Mars. Is it really possible to get into Earth? I've seen there's a contest and everything lol...

BTW, the gate to Pearl is a bit too close to the Sun... haven't gone there yet, but it seems way to close... is it easy to use it?

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gas giants

Post by Marvin »

:o Not easy. You need to use afterburner right away, after you come out of hyperspace, or you'll get sucked into Sol.
capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

Oh man, what have I gotten my ship into by going to the Sol system...? lol :P But if I place myself so that I get out of hyperdrive facing the wormhole and Sol, I would get into the wormhole while being sucked to Sol, or maybe I would be blinded by the sun and crash anyway. So, maybe it's better to go from a side and activate the afterburner, right? I hope it's not as hard as getting into a wormhole on a blackhole :| .
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gas giants

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Wormholes can be entered from any angle. Ergo, the best way to approach it is by exiting hyperspace with the sun at your back. If you do it from the side, then you'll need to compensate for lateral drift ... possible but difficult. If you decide to take the long way home, head for Sirius. It's closer.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Gas giants

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL.....the Gate to Pearl near SOL is easier than using the worm hole in the black hole.....;):P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

Thanks for the tips! :) And... good! Because I still haven't been able to use that black hole with worm hole in Sapphire... :P Going directly to Sirius would definitely leave me in the middle of the trip without fuel... My ship is like a Smart car compared to a Lamborghini, lol :P

The game author is kinda like an evil genius isn't he? :cool: He made it hard to find the way to Sol (without that site with the Evochron universe I would have a terrible time to get there...), hard to get to Earth (no idea yet, but a few things I want to try out) and then hard to get out of Sol. I wonder what will be there on Pearl :P . Well, at least the wormhole is next to Sol and not on a black hole. This forum should have a few more smilies, like roll eyes, etc. :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gas giants

Post by Marvin »

From post: 114397, Topic: tid=7939, author=capellamusic wrote:This forum should have a few more smilies, like roll eyes, etc. :)
:cool: I agree. I came here from years posting at subsim.com and nearly went into panic mode. Luckily, I have my "Don't Panic" button left over from a Commodore 64 version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game.
capellamusic
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Gas giants

Post by capellamusic »

I did it! I got through the wormhole in Sol in one piece :) . I tried another way, it worked, but I almost fell into the sun as marked the wormhole coordinates and traveled to that direction refueling with the tractor beam. Everything seemed good but when I started to see the wormhole I started loosing control due to the gravity and passed it, turned to it while being sucked to Sol and punched the afterburner like there was no tomorrow! And went through :) This was just to try though, I'll be in Sol a few more time. Tried a few things to get to Earth, none was successful.

Anyway, thanks for the tips people! Sorry to bother so much and I'm always probably sounding like a real noob, but this game is a dream and gets me excited to see more and more :) .