Just ordered Evochron Mercenary, few questions

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

hello,
Just ordered the game, and I figured while I wait the few days it takes paypal to do a bank transfer, I'd ask a few things.

looking at what's said about the activation/copy protection, it looks alot like tages/securom in some ways. am I able to install it on my laptop and desktop, and not have to worry about being able to reactivate later on? (my laptop gets formatted at least twice a year, for instance. its not usually on purpose, but due to an OS failure, or a bootloader problem).

is the server software availible for linux? I see you need to be a registered user to access that file. I have a linux machine that I host various game servers on for me and friends (such as minecraft, counterstrike, etc). I was curious if i would be able to add evochron to the list for that machine.

I've really liked what I've played so far in the demo (especially going in and out of the atmosphere of planets! awesome!), and it seems that even on all settings maxed, the game runs really smooth (even on my laptop). I'm looking forward to really getting into this.

[Edited on 6-19-2011 by d3drocks]
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Welcome to the game, and the forum.

Surprised that it takes Paypal days to implement your payment. Any time I use Paypal it's instant!

I don't believe that the game plays on Linux systems.

Vice, the game developer, will be able to advise you on installing on different machines.

Warning: Once you start playing EM you lose all of your social life. :)
Image And mad cat
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

Welcome to the sim.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

am I able to install it on my laptop and desktop, and not have to worry about being able to reactivate later on? (my laptop gets formatted at least twice a year, for instance. its not usually on purpose, but due to an OS failure, or a bootloader problem).
Yes and yes. Follow the steps in the registration e-mail to install the game on both systems and you can use the same key(s) to install the game on the reformat twice a year as needed.
is the server software availible for linux? I see you need to be a registered user to access that file. I have a linux machine that I host various game servers on for me and friends (such as minecraft, counterstrike, etc). I was curious if i would be able to add evochron to the list for that machine.
No. The development platform used for the game and server program is not compatible with Linux and probably won't be. Windows and DirectX is required (although just basic support for Direct3D).
I've really liked what I've played so far in the demo (especially going in and out of the atmosphere of planets! awesome!), and it seems that even on all settings maxed, the game runs really smooth (even on my laptop). I'm looking forward to really getting into this.
Excellent, welcome.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 108822, Topic: tid=7677, author=Ravenfeeder wrote:Welcome to the game, and the forum.

Surprised that it takes Paypal days to implement your payment. Any time I use Paypal it's instant!

I don't believe that the game plays on Linux systems.

Vice, the game developer, will be able to advise you on installing on different machines.

Warning: Once you start playing EM you lose all of your social life. :)
yeah, I dont have a credit card to attach to my paypal to make it instant. in my country, it can take a week for paypal to transfer. I'll have the game by the 27th (long ass time).
while it may not work on linux natively, I'll see what i can do to get the demo running in crossover or wine. same with the server software. worst comes to worst, I'll run windows in a VM on my desktop to run a server.

@vice: thanks for that. very reassuring :) I usually ask this stuff cause I've had companies deny me installs after I had a hard disk failure (I'll never go to ableton again).
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi D3drocks, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello d3drocks, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 109002, Topic: tid=7677, author=Maarschalk wrote:Hi D3drocks, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time....;):cool:
From post: 109032, Topic: tid=7677, author=thetiebers wrote:Hello d3drocks, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
hey, thanks guys :)
my paypal transfer finished on monday, so I'll see you guys online most likely a day or 2 afterwards (after I've redone all the tutorials and watched all the videos i can find on tips and tricks).

wonder why paypal takes so long, the money left my account days ago lol. ahh well, I havn't completely used up every drop of demotime yet :p
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

"Welcome Aboard d3drocks"...Looking forward to seeing you in MP ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 109047, Topic: tid=7677, author=d3drocks wrote:
From post: 109002, Topic: tid=7677, author=Maarschalk wrote:Hi D3drocks, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time....;):cool:
From post: 109032, Topic: tid=7677, author=thetiebers wrote:Hello d3drocks, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
my paypal transfer finished on monday, so I'll see you guys online most likely a day or 2 afterwards (after I've redone all the tutorials and watched all the videos i can find on tips and tricks).

wonder why paypal takes so long, the money left my account days ago lol. ahh well, I havn't completely used up every drop of demotime yet :p
You can go into a training section and ignore the instructions but can play still with some limitations if your demo time runs out till you can join us.
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

something I've noticed so far that i really appreciate about evochron is that there are no DLCs.
I'm really sick of the DLC gimmick these days. stuff that should have been in a patch, or should have been in the game in the first palce.
its a really nice change to see a game like this not impliment that sort of tactic. lots of respect to the devs for that one :)
From post: 109049, Topic: tid=7677, author=thetiebers wrote:
From post: 109047, Topic: tid=7677, author=d3drocks wrote:

You can go into a training section and ignore the instructions but can play still with some limitations if your demo time runs out till you can join us.
thanks for that. I'll try doing that next time (I just reinstalled the game :p)
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

literally hours b4 paypal clears for me now. feels like years :p first thing I'm gunna do is connect to a multiplayer server. anyone have suggestions? or is there only 1?
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

out of all possible choices, i think you should pick Remula1. You should be able to find it on the first page of the list.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 109285, Topic: tid=7677, author=Dingo79 wrote:out of all possible choices, i think you should pick Remula1. You should be able to find it on the first page of the list.
alright, I'll try that. is it possible to use a single player profile on that server? I read somewhere that its possible to do it, but some servers dissable that function.
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

all profiles can be seemlessly exchanged between SP and MP. Pretty cool, huh? see you out there.

[Edited on 6-27-2011 by Dingo79]
Dengar
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Dengar »

What the hell is a DLC?

I know what a DLG is but this one has me beat!!!

\"Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war\"

BA TeamSpeak Details
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

downloadable content. micro purchases a lot of console gaming companies use to gouge you.
Dengar
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Dengar »

Cheers Dingo.

DLG _ Destroyer, Light Guided aka GMD - Guided Missile Destroyer. RN haven't got any now, I was on the last one in the late 70's.

Come to think of it the RN hasn't got many ships anyway. Got more Admirals than ships!!!!

\"Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war\"

BA TeamSpeak Details
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

From post: 109294, Topic: tid=7677, author=Dengar wrote: Got more Admirals than ships!!!!
This is how I feel about MP actually.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 109292, Topic: tid=7677, author=Dengar wrote:What the hell is a DLC?

I know what a DLG is but this one has me beat!!!
DLC stands for DownLoad Content.
its usually paid additions to a game that should have been in there in the first place. take call of duty for example. the latest call of duty games ship with less maps for multiplayer than some games have in their demos. they then go to charge you 9.99 or 14.99 for 3 or 4 new maps, and they do this repeatedly, effectively bumping up the price of the game to well past what you wanted to pay for it. its not just console games that do this now, lots of others on PC do it too. its really sad.
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Dandy »

Personally, I think DLC is a disease on gaming.

I'm glad there's still some shining examples of gaming decency and passion like Starwraith and some other indie titles.

"edited due to language"

[Edited on 6-27-2011 by thetiebers]
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

From post: 109321, Topic: tid=7677, author=Jack Dandy wrote:Personally, I think DLC is a disease on gaming.

I'm glad there's still some shining examples of gaming decency and passion like Starwraith and some other indie titles.

"edited due to language"

[Edited on 6-27-2011 by thetiebers]
cheers to that.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

another quick question. so you need multiple keys to install on 2 computers at the same time, correct? what if i want to remove the game from one computer (such as having the computer replaced) and install on a new one. is it possible without requiring a new key?

PS: learn from my mistakes please. paypal STILL hasn't cleared my bank transfer, and now they say it could take a day or 2 more. I just picked up evochron renegades to hold me over till the money goes through. if you have the choice, avoid paypal and use a credit card :(

[Edited on 6-28-2011 by d3drocks]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You can use the same game key as long as you don't try playing the game on two computers at one time.