Newbie tries to win a race

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Hi

First of all, I'm a completely newbie in this game, and it seems I fail to grasp few fundamentals..

I've done ridiculous amounts of mining to get a sizeable ship (panther frame) and engine, but the IMG contract -quest racing, or racing in general is still way beyond me.

Through trial and error I gathered I can't miss a single ring, gotcha. But now that I finally got past the opponent... is he.. SHOOTING me? WTH!?
I don't get this, is this supposed to be a race or a mauling? I came prepared with missiles to the last race and it seems I was disqualified for decimating my opponent

_what_are_the_rules_ to this? I am completely baffled here

Edit: The game is Evochron Mercenaries, forgot to clarify that in original post.

[Edited on 5-27-2011 by Malix]
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome Malix.

You can't shoot in races. He probably got to close. The shields touching sounds the same.

To win, simply ignore him. In the key setup page 3, set bindings for IDS + and IDS -
Then when racing, set IDS x2 and use full throttle on the straights and about 50% in the turns.
Focus on staying on track and don't use afterburner. That will do the trick.

Hopw to see you in MP.;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Hi - welcome to Evochron! :)

I've just got the hang of racing (literally this week! :D) - after giving up for several months and dropping out of the IMG Quest becaue I couldn't win the race no matter how hard I tried. Here is a summary of the advice I was given, which now lets me win races! :P

Accept the race - set your compass direction at zero degrees and set your ship at dead level (zero degrees). Jump to the start of the race. This will point you directly into the tube. Set your speed at about 700 - 800 (I suggest that you use the IDS multiplier to make this your max speed to that you don't go too fast in the excitement and spin out of the tube.)

This is the important bit! When you finish jumping, accelerate with after burner to reach 1500 -2000 until you are near the start of the tube, then ease off. Ignore your opponent as you whizz by - once you are in the tube simply concentrate on staying there - Ignore your opponent, even if he rams you fron behind (this is the bit where you probably thought he was shooting at you - Just concentrate on staying in the tube. Don't look at the indicator that shows your progress - don't think about your opponent - just concentrate on staying in the tube. . . . you will win - honestly!

I really recommend that you do the IMG Quest (the race is contract 3 or 4). I bottled out after many many many failed attempts at the race (mainly through trying to go faster than the opponent). Marvin and SeeJay's advice (as above (speed 700-800 and ignore the b####r racing against you and I can now win every time in a StarMaster which has the turning circle of a supertanker (20th Century Old Earth oil carrier ship!)

Good Luck ;)

[Edited on 27-5-2011 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Ooooh, this makes so much more sense now. Thanks a bunch! :)

Only if all the forums on the internet were this helpful <3
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

"Welcome Aboard Malix"....See you in MP ;)

"Have Fun Racing"
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Heh, apparently the peer pressure to MP is quite strong here. I'll try to learn the ropes in SP first, and then, I'll be the blight of the galaxy in MP ;)

(...or the busy asteroid miner)
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MiaZ »

From post: 107835, Topic: tid=7617, author=Malix wrote:Heh, apparently the peer pressure to MP is quite strong here. I'll try to learn the ropes in SP first, and then, I'll be the blight of the galaxy in MP ;)

(...or the busy asteroid miner)
You might find some things are easier in MP for a fresh starting out pilot. I have just tried a new start myself and money can be hard at first.

There are useful player built stations you can dock at without paying docking fees and at good places to buy and trade. Places like in pearl : )

There also seems to be far less hostiles in systems like pearl when in MP compared to a fresh profile flying in Pearl SP.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Malix, please feel up to trying MP as it is a great place to learn. Some missions on the quest do have to be completed in SP tho such as the race. Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Okay, its official now, I love this forum. You guys rock! I just beat the race even after screwing it up around ~30 rings. yea, the IDS multiplier makes all the difference in the world...

Funny thing those multipliers, I've flown like ~20 hours before this and didn't even realize you could change those... I feel dumb now.
Now that I discovered those (thanks to you guys) the universe just got smaller, alot smaller. Thank you!

Currently boasting Panther -hull and class 6 engines and whatnot! Universe will not be the same again! :)
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

"Todays noob is tomorrows Ace"
Quote from the talking server... ;)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

We all feel stupid at first, Malix. I spent 5 months without an internet connection, and when I came back, Vice implemented the IDS change, and a bunch of new things, and I felt like a noob again. You never really learn it all in Evochron. Welcome to the sim.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Great Malix.

Happy we could help. Hop on in MP and you'll learn a lot. I still learn stuff out there.
Your ranks will increase fast as well since a lot of pilots do contracts together.
Great fun!;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Malix, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time...;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

One more question about racing, if you don't mind.

Are the races autobalanced? Ie, do the opponents always have roughly the same level of equipment compared to mine, or should I get the biggest and baddest engine, wings and agile frame I can afford?

edit: grammar and typing, I failed at both.

[Edited on 5-29-2011 by Malix]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Image I'm pretty sure you always fly against a navy pilot. Probably an ensign. With government issue equipment. ;)
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Now that I have a metric ton of races under my belt, I decided to share my way of winning :)

its actually pretty easy, I just run through the course with speed of 1000-1100, no need to do anything beside just steer along the tube. I assume that having high class wings helps alot.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 108358, Topic: tid=7617, author=Malix wrote:Now that I have a metric ton of races under my belt, I decided to share my way of winning :)

its actually pretty easy, I just run through the course with speed of 1000-1100, no need to do anything beside just steer along the tube. I assume that having high class wings helps alot.
And the experience of a metric ton of races to finaly be in control of flying your ship.....;):cool::P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
wallymountz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wallymountz »

Okay, I'm a brand new newbie. These timed races are KILLING me. I fly to the waypoint and jump, find the white box with green boxes behind it, and fly through them starting with the white box. There are only about 8 or 9 and then nothing. I've seen the box counter before, but now it never comes up. I can't seem to finish this. I saw that there were 99 boxes but I can't find them. What am I doing wrong?
From post: 108358, Topic: tid=7617, author=Malix wrote:Now that I have a metric ton of races under my belt, I decided to share my way of winning :)

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Are you flying near a planet or some other object that might be obscuring the boxes?
wallymountz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wallymountz »

No. There is nothing nearby like that. I thought maybe I was doing this backwards, but the waypoint is near the white box and just in case I flew them backwards with no change.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello wallymountz, the race is hard for most pilots. I can only suggest you keep trying. Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Well, all I can suggest is fly very slowly through the first box (the white one) and make sure that the next box changes from green to white. It should continue to do that (the next box changing from green to white) until you've finished the entire course.
wallymountz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wallymountz »

Thanks thetiebers. That makes me feel better.

And Marvin: This is a definite clue. The boxes after the first one are not changing colors. I must be doing something wrong. I'll try some more. Thanks for your suggestions.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Here's a tip I learned from the Master (Yoda). If you're facing north (heading 0) when you hyper-jump, the computer puts your ship slightly south of the the jump point. And most things (jumpgates, solar panels, racetracks, etc.) are oriented north-south. So, if your pitch is on the horizon when you jump, you'll be in a good position to do whatever it is you plan to do.
wallymountz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wallymountz »

Wow! I never would have figured that out on my own. Thanks tons!