I feel I'm missing something here. (Feedback thread!)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 107278, Topic: tid=7571, author=Marvin wrote::cool:Hey, DaveK ... you don't need to make up a story in your head. You can add it to the game, via a modded quest.
I really love reading :cool: - If there is nothing to read at breakfast I read the cereal packet. :P I'm a scientist by nature and by training but I have a good imagination - I really enjoy immersion in the game and enjoy creating my own story line. Books are great, but you go where the author wants at a pace the author sets. Creating the story in my head means that I can go where I want at the pace I choose. I get the satisfaction of completing the challenges I set myself within the challenges the environment Vice has created (like learning to get through a black hole).

So it's not a matter of having to imagine the story I'm living, it's a matter of really enjoying the game that way, especially since it can take full advantage of the freedom Vice has built in.

That is not to say that I wouldn't enjoy a good quest, though to work for me it would need to have a flexible route through it. The original IMF quest wasn't fun for me because when I got stuck, for example racing, I had to continue trying and failing beyond interesting and well into frustrating. I would have preferred to be able to bypass the race and do some other part of the quest for a while and then come back to it with a bit more experience and a few new skills. Each quest could be worth points and the rewards given after a certain number of points are amassed. Linear adventure games were happily repalced early on in gaming with multi pathways through the game as better programming on more capable systems were possible. Ultimately it has lead on the free form adventures with many quests and options built in that can be tackled (or not) in many ways or to the real pinnacle, a freeform sandbox in which your imagination really is the only limiting factor! :D

Even SeeJay's new quest that sounds like it will be really cool starts off by demanding that I fulfill all the tasks in the IMG quest, whether I want to or not. If quests could be more freeform and tackled in any order then having them available would be fun, but if quest "X" which I really fancy, requires completion of quests "U", "V" and "W" which I don't fancy or find too hard to complete before I'm allowed to try "X" then the joy is taken away . . . IMHO :D:D:D:D
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Answer again here. Sorry folks!
Ok, we might have to agree to disagree. You might think the less, the better. I think that having the least amount of something is the wrong way to go.
This is not an opinion thing, otherwise I'd agree to disagree. In design, less is always more.
no, I said 'it's not about perceived worth, it's about actual worth', but whatever. :P
Big shock, everything in the game is worth exactly nothing. There is no actual worth in the game - only perceived worth.
once again, agree to disagree on the first sentence. Making the current stuff better would also be very good, but I reckon new stuff could still be useful!
That is not an answer.
Well, atm, take wings. The higher up you go, the more expensive they are,the more assembly points they take up and the more they give you manoeuvrability. Changing this (e.g. making higher-up ones perhaps take up less resources for the same or greater manoeuvrability) would simply make things more interesting, less straightforward and change the dynamic of ship-building a bit - bigger might not always be better, it might depend on your ship for instance. It certainly wouldn't be bad. (Take this as an example, again using wings/manoeuvrability: atm, you use higher-level wings to offset the brick-like-ness of higher-end ships. The bigger the ship, the better the wings you need. End of, nothing to see here. If, perhaps, there was a high-end wing, perhaps not available in all systems, and quite expensive as well, then it might allow a sufficiently well-off mercenary to take a striker, slap on something the equivelant of nighthawk (which it couldn't normally fit) and make something more manoeuvrable than a Evoch-C.)
Okay, we can agree that there could be more interesting dynamics with the available items. However, if there were 'premium' items that would diminish dynamics.
Of course there would be differences... there already *are* differences, it's just that you can get both sets of frames everywhere (assuming sufficient tech level, obviously) o.O
So basically, no difference at all.
I'm just suggesting that some wormholes don't have a set destination - each time you go through them you could find something new and exciting, or you might be dumped back at sapphire, or even deep space or the inside of a sun! (obviously they won't just generate the coords randomly, you'd end up in deep space all the time otherwise! :P) Combined with the death-penalty some are suggesting, this would make it a lot more interesting.
Never, ever, ever punish an unwitting player.
y'know, places where you can can go and have a beer (or an evobeer as the case may be!) It could add a new dynamic to the game.
That fits so badly in the current design-vision I wouldn't feel that is a solution to anything but clutter.
atm, ore processers and research stations etc. do little except effect nearby station's inventories. Make, for instance, ore processers able to convert ore into components (the difference to constructors could be say, you could build some kind of 'ore miner', and link the two, supplying a continuous stream of components you can use. Maybe tech stations could allow you to upgrade components with nifty add-ons or something.) At the very least, they should do something more interesting than just sit there, look pretty and tell trade stations to sell something marginally different.
You mean making it able to earn money even a bit more easily?
Why not do both? Create some major money sinks that you really have to work hard to get to would make the game a lot more enjoyable, to have some long-term goals.
I disagree that the current items wouldn't suffice.
I'm just suggesting that say, you could only get some special frame that has something special (maybe it can have maxed out allocation points, or carry more than the usual number of missiles, or have very good shields, whatever), but you could only get say, Special Frame A from *those* specific hidden planets, Special Frame B from *those other* specific hidden planets etc. I'm suggesting adding some new frames that make the game more interesting. So you won't like this, 'cos 'less is better' ;)
If an addition serves the original design better than omitting it, by all means add it. Sadly, this does not.
Why wouldn't we want that? New alien races could be cool, perhaps they give some sort of special something-or-another. It might be interesting to play as a member of some minor race that comes from a semi-unknown backwater planet. Perhaps it could affect how bars work for you.
Could be cool isn't a design argument. A counter-argument that does fit the design is that the fiction does not allow for this.
Because having some vaguely realistic stars might go well with all the other more-complex-than-necessary stuff this game has. Plus, it would make direct-jumping from one place to another a little bit harder, and really, the stars are *so* much smaller than planets atm. That's just plain weird.
Vaguely realistic would mean the stars could stay the exact same as they are and kill you two sectors out. In this case, Vice went with simplification for both technical and design-related reasons. No use in sacrificing nine sectors for a star if one will do.
...you like that phrase don't you? Because it's INTERESTING. y'know, not boring just flying around. Perhaps there's some stations hidden inside these stars protected by many many shields, perhaps selling some of those unique items I've mentioned. This would go very well with the stars-actually-taking-up-space thing I've mentioned.
I like the phrase because it is the best way to consider an idea as a designer. If you can answer that with a valid design argument, it might be interesting to pursue. In this case, you've added not a single argument except for visual interest which, from a game design perspective, is not important.
Are you asking me to describe some of the stuff that the artifacts do, or what having them there would add to the universe? If the former, well, I've named a few, perhaps they could also do things as simple as acting as a gravity sink for you to be able to orbit round, perhaps they could provide wormholes to a secret place, perhaps they could allow you to activate an in-built weapon system when you're nearby. If the latter, then it's the same as many other things I've said. It's making the game more interesting by adding more features to it. If it didn't have any features all we'd have is a physics model with a rudimentary economic one tacked on the side, and that really would be boring.
Again, more isn't better. You're describing stuff that is already possible within the design and would only add additional content. From a game-design perspective, this isn't adding to the game. From a fiction-point of view, there are things that would add more.
What about single player? You can build up fleets for a reason y'know. If nothing else, you can't say that having a massive capital ship be able to be taken down by one pilot in a fighter, no matter how skilled, makes sense. That's like saying someone in a microlight weilding an AK47 ought to be able to take down an Apache gunship.
There's a really good reason why in most shooters, a microlight wielding an AK47 is able to take down an Apache gunship. It's unfair design towards the player to not allow that possibility - and in such cases, sense loses to good design.
-Customising ship to have two particle cannons, or 3 lasers (large frames have more options)
Could be interesting.
Yup, which is why I've suggested just about everything here - *because* it's interesting.
Major difference here being this actually is interesting as it expands on an existing design in a design-wise interesting way.
-Underwater cities, allow spaceships to go underwater with the right upgrade.
That is completely ridiculous in every interpretation.
A bit like the fighter-taking-down-capital-ship, or flying-through-gas-giants, or having fulcrum drives (that bend space) available for general use? There's plenty of wacky things that could be good (not all of them, obviously. Planet-size stars for example.), and underwater cities in and of themselves aren't that wacky. Perhaps flying spaceships down to them might be, but it's only an idea.
Not in a fiction-way, that might work. From a design point it is just odd to add underwater.
-different looking ciites, some with special interior areas to dock etc.
Which would all do the same, thus fix nothing.
Except make the game more interesting... ? Which is what we're trying to achieve here anyway, is it not?
I disagree that would add anything interesting.
-Mega-stations, which you can fly around in.
Great. But, uh, what would that add to the game?
See above.
See above.
-Rare ores and minerals hidden in the giant asteroids
How about moving certain minerals that already exist there?
Well, whatever. Maybe make diamonds not available in every asteroid, make the richest deposits in the mega-'roids, maybe add or change some resources, but make the mega-'roids more interesting to go mining in.
Agreed.
-More things to do with the backstory, hidden beacons that say stuff about it, stuff in the news.
That might help the believability of the universe.
Yay, we're agreeing! Not to mention the fact that yes, it will make the game more interesting.
You're mixing game and fiction again.
-More quests to follow
Examples?
Well, perhaps you could have a couple that take you to riftspace via different routes, showing you different cool things. Perhaps you could follow one that shows you some wormholes to cool places. Perhaps you have to work out where the Lost Rucker gate is so you can drop an item off there, whatever. Just some more storylines to follow that will show off more of the universe, hopefully going via several hidden planets en route.
Might conflict with sandbox principles, but I agree.
-Player-created quests (would be especially good in mp)
What kind of interface are you proposing and how would this integrate in SP?
Interface: From the build constructor, you can build beacons as well. When you build one, a little screen pops up asking for some text that will appear when you fly near it. Have another couple of boxes showing the requirements for the text to appear (e.g. rank admiral, 25 ore in cargo bay, stealth field active, etc.) Then a button saying 'place'.
Integration: same as stations atm, so you could place them in SP (perhaps you could get you friends to try them if you give them the right file), but also in MP, with the two not crossing over.
You can do exactly this through non-game-implemented methods which actually encourages personal communication. This change would be detrimental to the game.

-Stuff in the hollow planets (cities, containers, wormholes etc.)
The same stuff you find everywhere else? Why would I go there and why don't the asteroids suffice?
I was just pointing out these don't have to be big, boring, empty caverns, much like most mega-'roids are atm.
They're not.
-Giant living creatues, maybe some kind of alien skywhale or something living in gas giants (something anyway)
Maybe add something with a prince who needs to find the giant mythical sword?
Ok, so you don't like this idea. Sorry, whatever. I shall continue to dream about seeing giant whales swimming through gas giants :L
I am sincerely hoping that remains in your dream indeed. It's not that I am again flying whales - heck I use Twitter - but how would you mesh that with Evochron's fiction?
-Floating islands in gas giants - have the islands float around? (whilst staying facing outwards, of course)
So, basically, make gas giants like every other planet? Wouldn't hurt, now they're simply scenery and that's not really useful.
Not quite like every other planet, because you can fly completely around in gas giants. You could have multiple different layers of islands, orbit around inside the gas giant. This really would be interesting actually, you could fly from floating island to floating island etc.
Basically, asteroids within atmosphere. I like it.
-tunnels and stuff in said floating islands!
You have an odd obsession with tunnels.
Yup, 'cos they can be interesting! And concealing a wormhole at the end of a tunnel in a floating island in a gas giant *would* be interesting, and certainly make exploration more fun.
The fact that tunnels aren't interesting now doesn't bode well for even more tunnels.
-New ships, able to fly capital ships??
Why new ships and what would you suppose a capital ship do?
New ships, see all the other 'new stuff' from earlier which you don't like :P
Capital ships, well a mobile base is certainly one nice idea as others have said, perhaps you could control it, fly it into a warzone and then take control of one of its turrets, ai takes the rest, and you start shooting down those pesky fighters that dont bother you much because hopefully by now a capital-ship-buff has been implemented. And then you could come across another capital ship and start blowing each other to bits!
Yeaaah. No. See, this is dreaming and not design. You have this epic idea in your head but that's not how it'd be in game. You're changing the game into a MMORPG in structure, with buffs and all. That doesn't fit the current design.
-Diplomatic relations - have stuff in the news, which affects the universe, about e.g. tensions between different factions, war breaking out, espionage, perhaps you could become an official diplomat on one side's behalf!
Isn't that already in the game? If not, the tension could be useful. Then again, the safe zones in the game are there for a reason, so making that more dynamic might have a bad effect.
It's not really already in the game, I'm talking about say, federation-alliance relations, not navy-miners relations. This could start a war sometimes, perhaps a proxy war instead (actually, proxy wars are a nice idea considering you're a mercenary), perhaps the value of certain components is heightened, etc. etc. Like, a little more than just how many ships decide to take potshots at you.
You could still have safezones. Maybe make certain systems belong to neutral parties, perhaps make some systems fairly worthless so although they belong to one side, they're still safe, maybe have some not-so-hidden hidden-planets that would be safe, etc. etc.
Agree.
I don't think safe zones are that big a deal, you can always just hide in a station :P
Disagree. Opinions don't count in design ;).
-Make money not so easy to get hold of.
Good one!
Yay, we now agree on... two things! :D
Yay!
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Just a couple of things to add here.

You can always make the game harder. We have the freedom to make the game as hard on ourselves as we want.

If you think you should have to start over again every time you die, then DON'T SAVE. I guess it peeves me a little when someone wants to force their hardships on me.

If you want the battles to be harder, outfit a talon with the lowest shields and the lowest weapons and commence fighting. It's sure to be more challenging than getting that starmaster.

So, to recap: if you think the game is too easy, make it hard on yourself. You don't need to make it hard for the rest of us.

[Edited on 5-17-2011 by Nigel_Strange]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 107304, Topic: tid=7571, author=DaveK wrote:Even SeeJay's new quest that sounds like it will be really cool starts off by demanding that I fulfill all the tasks in the IMG quest, whether I want to or not. If quests could be more freeform and tackled in any order then having them available would be fun, but if quest "X" which I really fancy, requires completion of quests "U", "V" and "W" which I don't fancy or find too hard to complete before I'm allowed to try "X" then the joy is taken away . . . IMHO :D:D:D:D
I guess it's unfortunate, but SeeJay's quest is linear, working against a story line. In a sense, it's multimedia and done in a way I've never seen done before. It also works within the contraints of the quest scripting tool ... which doesn't allow for branching. But SeeJay's voodoo gives it a new twist, turning the restrictions of a linear quest from a negative to a positive.

Admittedly, SeeJay is a bit evil. Parts of his quest will be easy for just about everyone. Other parts ... well, if you're not as good a pilot as SeeJay, prepare to hire a squadron. Which is why he insists you do the default quest first. You'll probably need the practice. And bypassing any part of it would be like skipping a few chapters in the middle of a Discworld novel.

Btw, I've yet to read where anyone who has asked for advice on the race not get the help needed to finish it.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Marvin is absolutely right here. You do need the practice of the IMG to finish some of the contracts
in my (it's a team now) quest.

Also I did it this way since some pilots might not want to loose their progress in the IMG quest.

There are a lot of great pilots out there, even if they haven't done the IMG.
Therefor I have no problems to upload 2 versions when it's done.
One with the IMG included and one that it's not.

That way all can take what they want without having to do the IMG.

Thoughts on that?;)

Btw, thx for the compliment Marvin ;)

[Edited on 2011-5-17 by SeeJay]
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Dandy »

Now now, Nigel. I don't recall anyone saying in the topic permadeath should be implemented. We were only talking about a credit penalty.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Actually Jack it was mentioned but just in passing I think :D
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 107320, Topic: tid=7571, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 107304, Topic: tid=7571, author=DaveK wrote:Even SeeJay's new quest that sounds like it will be really cool starts off by demanding that I fulfill all the tasks in the IMG quest, whether I want to or not. If quests could be more freeform and tackled in any order then having them available would be fun, but if quest "X" which I really fancy, requires completion of quests "U", "V" and "W" which I don't fancy or find too hard to complete before I'm allowed to try "X" then the joy is taken away . . . IMHO :D:D:D:D
I guess it's unfortunate, but SeeJay's quest is linear, working against a story line. In a sense, it's multimedia and done in a way I've never seen done before. It also works within the contraints of the quest scripting tool ... which doesn't allow for branching. But SeeJay's voodoo gives it a new twist, turning the restrictions of a linear quest from a negative to a positive.

Admittedly, SeeJay is a bit evil. Parts of his quest will be easy for just about everyone. Other parts ... well, if you're not as good a pilot as SeeJay, prepare to hire a squadron. Which is why he insists you do the default quest first. You'll probably need the practice. And bypassing any part of it would be like skipping a few chapters in the middle of a Discworld novel.

Btw, I've yet to read where anyone who has asked for advice on the race not get the help needed to finish it.
I realise why the quests are set as they are. Once again, in the true spirit of the modding bods in this game, SeeJay has taken the system Vice created for a task (a great way to train new pilots) and has bent it as far as he can. If I was younger, had more time and wanted to complete linear tasks I would stick with it. I know that I can get help - I've read oodles of great advice (which in itself requires practice (applying it not reading it :P) - if there was a quick fix then we wouldn't need the training!) The people on this forum are amazingly generous and helpful. It's me, not the quests that cause the issue :D

I love the sandbox freedom - I would really enjoy quests that I could dip in an out of as mood, time and skills permit - it would add to (rather than replace) my own immersion in the Evoverse. In terms of improvement they are great of examples of what I agree with - improve the game for those who want to take part without making it more negative for those who aren't interested or capable. I would love to get involved in MP but with time differentials, a regular slot at a convenient time is hard to organise - I don't fancy being an erratic attendee to joint missions/clans/exploration or the rest - it would be frustrating for me and unfair to my team mates.
From post: 107321, Topic: tid=7571, author=SeeJay wrote:Marvin is absolutely right here. You do need the practice of the IMG to finish some of the contracts
in my (it's a team now) quest.

Also I did it this way since some pilots might not want to loose their progress in the IMG quest.

There are a lot of great pilots out there, even if they haven't done the IMG.
Therefor I have no problems to upload 2 versions when it's done.
One with the IMG included and one that it's not.

That way all can take what they want without having to do the IMG.

Thoughts on that?;)
Yep, I do need to practice to win a race, but if the race mission is about learning to manouvre my ship then there are other ways I have done that. I can now manouvre my ship within the context of my gamepaly - but - to move o in the IMG Quest I have to learn to manouvre my ship to win a race. I would be more tempted to practice if I could "deploy a racetrack" to practice in. At present I spend more time destructing or flying back to the station to start a contract again and then flying back to the race track than I do "practicing racing2. As soon as the b#####d passes me and then finishes, the track disappears - if it stayed until I left the sector (or at least until I finish) I could get some practice in. It is this game induced constraint I don't enjoy - but I see why it happens - why should a race track exist longer than the end of the race!

I really like the idea of background/optional and freeform quests and Evoverse "history" tours and missions. At present they are background and optional :) but constrained to be linear by the game :(

If SeeJay could create an option where I could tackle his without having to finish the IMG quest that would be a great step forward. I know that his would have to be linear as well, but I could dip in and out as I wish, progress as I am able to and have a real "adventure" to take part in, which would keep me coming back to it. The IMG quest is, after all, a training sequence - no storyline - rewards limited to £££ at times and (in my case) just sheer relief (not satisfaction) that I've managed to get through another (arbitary) task.

If reviews of SeeJay's quest inspire then I might force myself to grind through the IMG quest - the reward being SeeJay's quest! :P :P
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 107316, Topic: tid=7571, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:Just a couple of things to add here.

You can always make the game harder. We have the freedom to make the game as hard on ourselves as we want.

If you think you should have to start over again every time you die, then DON'T SAVE. I guess it peeves me a little when someone wants to force their hardships on me.

If you want the battles to be harder, outfit a talon with the lowest shields and the lowest weapons and commence fighting. It's sure to be more challenging than getting that starmaster.

So, to recap: if you think the game is too easy, make it hard on yourself. You don't need to make it hard for the rest of us.

[Edited on 5-17-2011 by Nigel_Strange]
Thanks Nigel_Strange - you have very succinctly summed up my verbose earlier contribution to this and other threads "enjoy yourselves but don't screw up my fun whilst doing it" (or as the medical oath says - "Do No Harm" (except to the Vonari and other bad guys!) :P :P :P :P :P :P
ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hey Dave.

To practice Racing, hop on to MP.
Make a challenge Race to another player and ask him/her NOT to do the race.
You can then fly the whole "tube" until you finish it.

When i race I set my IDS x 2 and keeps the throttle between half (sharp turns) and full.
Win every time without "sliding" off track.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Thanks for the offer - I see that I need to get over this hurdle :D:D:D

I might be able to get onto MP at about 8:00pm (UK time) tonight

I'm in a StarMaster at present so I suppose I should pop it in a hanger and buy something a bit smaller and nippier! :P
I'm also between Rucker and Pices, exploring, so I need to get a move on to get to Sapphire :P
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 107340, Topic: tid=7571, author=DaveK wrote:
I might be able to get onto MP at about 8:00pm (UK time) tonight
The only glitch is I'm not using V1.408. I'm still with 1.404. I'm usually right up to date, but this one seems to be causing chaos for a chosen few (though not that few!) and I really don't want to risk joining them.

In the meantime I'll try the advice offered, practice a bit and see if I can move on! :D:D:D:D
ImageImage
xingbing1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by xingbing1 »

Ok, I cba to go through all that again, so here's a summary: I think a lot of the stuff is just little bits that make the game more interesting, e.g. bars, you think it's just needless clutter. Well, whatever, this is only a suggestion thread anyway :P It's unlikely anything we put forward will make it into the game, or any significant part of it at least.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

As I have said, I love to read about the suggestions and ideas others have. Sometimes though it feels a bit like someone discovers Evochron, realises that it is great and different and then thinks about all the super things they love in other games that EM doesn't have and suggests them as "improvements". Great. Some of them might actually be improvements.

But think of it like this . . . invite a group of people round for a meal. Now think of all the best bits you like from all the different world foods - the best indian, chinese, american, spanish dishes etc etc. Now create a meal from all the best bits - it's bound to be a successful meal, isn't it? . . . . . . . isn't it? :)

[Edited on 17-5-2011 by DaveK]
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Or it could sound like you're saying, "This is pretty good but my mother cooks it differently (meaning, better)."

;) Btw, the trick to the race is to ignore the Navy pilot. Fly at your best speed without spitting out of the track. If you can maintain between 800 and 1000 kps, just concentrate on what's ahead. Take the curves like you would at Indy. And, I repeat, never spit out ... ignore the other pilot.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Thanks Marvin :)
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You're welcome. Bottom line is go as fast as you can without spitting out. Using the speed multiplyer, it's now a lot easier than it used to be when you needed to use afterburner .... back then, you usually built up too much speed and ended up going too fast in the turns. Now, you just set your throttle to a constant speed, ignore the Navy guy (fly right past him at the entry point) and concentrate on the track.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 107363, Topic: tid=7571, author=Marvin wrote::cool: Or it could sound like you're saying, "This is pretty good but my mother cooks it differently (meaning, better)."
or "This is pretty good but my mother cooks it better (meaning, differently)."

:P:P:P
ImageImage
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL...that is relatively speaking, and people who call me much talk should read this thread.....;):P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Dandy »

I just checked out Riftspace as well..
I just don't understand how some useful features from there didn't make it to EM, like the ability to check other planet's economies from your current position, some more intuitive text info about various things, more engrossing story... :(

[Edited on 5-17-2011 by Jack Dandy]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o There are things in Rift Space that didn't make it to EM? Does that mean they were in EL? What? :o
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Dandy »

From what I saw so far- the ability to check other planets from your current position, and a optional story you can follow.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Image If there are no nearby planets in Riftspace, the News screen will display information from whatever system is closest ... even if "close" is, relatively speaking, not so close at all. Vice might've adjusted that part of the program for EM.

:cool: The old Renegades story was not deleted from EL ... because it was needed if you wanted to complete the story created for EL. It was either that or buy Renegades. Vice was nice enough to go with the cheaper (for us) method.
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Dandy »

Heck! Simply making the CMs to not be free of charge anymore oughta make a good moneysink.

[Edited on 5-18-2011 by Jack Dandy]
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 107335, Topic: tid=7571, author=SeeJay wrote:Hey Dave.

To practice Racing, hop on to MP.
Make a challenge Race to another player and ask him/her NOT to do the race.
You can then fly the whole "tube" until you finish it.

When i race I set my IDS x 2 and keeps the throttle between half (sharp turns) and full.
Win every time without "sliding" off track.
Good Bit: Went back to New Hope Station; put fully equipped StarMaster into the Hanger. Bought a Talon with snappy wings. Accepted the race contract - fluffed the first five getting the hang of the nippy little Talon. On number 6, concentrated on staying in the tube and keeping a reasonable speed; rammed from behind by the other pilot (in the past, at this point paniced and tried to go faster, either left the tube or somehow the other guy went past and won) - this time, I ignored him (as advised) and concentrated on staying in the tube and won! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OK bit:, Completes the solar array cleaning, asteroid mining and clearing in the Talon :D

Not so good bit: Went back to New Hope and swapped ships - where has my Platinum Mining Beam, Mantis Drive, Excalibur missile pack, Stealth Generator gone? Surely if I mothball a ship for a while, they don't sell off all my gear? sob sob sob :mad::mad::mad:

So thanks very much to everyone who gave advice and encouragement and offers of help in MP. Now going to limp slowly back to Pearl (C3 jump drive at the moment) and re-equip so I can go back to Olympus with an "Iron Ass" to contimue the quest so that I can try SeeJay's quest :)
ImageImage