error 87

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Tried the reginal settings All English US, even reset them. Still "The parameter is not correct". Their are no visible "extras" behind the .exe, i've moved, renamed, etc it.
Von Paulus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Von Paulus »

:(

EDIT: This reminds me the good old times. PC gaming was sometimes a pain the a** to configure.

[Edited on 23-9-2010 by Von Paulus]
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by Von Paulus
:(

EDIT: This reminds me the good old times. PC gaming was sometimes a pain the a** to configure.

[Edited on 23-9-2010 by Von Paulus]
Yeah, I remember those days well. The fun was figuring out the issue moreso than playing the game. Didn't have forums though to brainstorm ideas.

This one has me perplexed as for some reason I'm singled out. I'm usually that guy that looks at others thinking, it won't happen to me.

I have time this weekend, I will slap a fresh win install on one of my spare hard drives and see.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

Additional suggestions from elsewhere to try:

(a) user may not be running in administrator mode
(b) background task or virus checker intercepting the executable launch
(c) special system configuration applied to launched apps
(d) the filename is too long (try shortening to EM.EXE to test this)
(e) ensure a virtual desktop is not being used
(f) ensure OS has not become corrupted or registry overflowing.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by Vice
Additional suggestions from elsewhere to try:

(a) user may not be running in administrator mode
(b) background task or virus checker intercepting the executable launch
(c) special system configuration applied to launched apps
(d) the filename is too long (try shortening to EM.EXE to test this)
(e) ensure a virtual desktop is not being used
(f) ensure OS has not become corrupted or registry overflowing.
Vice, had already tried all he above. Only Evochron Mercenary is affected. I have installed numerous other items since I started troubleshooting with no problems. Unless you've got some sneaky registry key i missed or the .exe is making some crazy call my pc does't recognize.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

Just as another step to try (a step-by-step analysis to rule out possible parameter causes), uninstall the game using the uninstaller. Then reinstall the game by first right clicking on the installer's EXE, then clicking on 'Run as Administrator', then install the game to the default folder of c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary (not the program files (x86) folder). Allow the process to complete entirely, on a Win64 system, it will likely pause for about 15-30 seconds at the last stage of the installation process. Once finished, do not leave the box checked next to launching the game, instead uncheck the box, then click on finish. Then right click on the game's desktop icon, then click on 'Open file location', observe the file explorer window that opens, verify that it opens to the correct 'evochronmercenary.exe' file in the c:\\sw3dg\\evochronmercenary folder. Then right click on the desktop icon again, then click on Properties. Verify the 'Target:' field points to the same location with no spaces or characters either before or after that value. Also verify that the 'Start in:' field shows as 'C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary' also with no spaces or characters either before or after that value. Once that all checks out, go ahead and try to launch the game normal, including 'Run as administrator' and various compatibility options if needed.
StarWraith 3D Games
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by Vice
Just as another step to try (a step-by-step analysis to rule out possible parameter causes), uninstall the game using the uninstaller. Then reinstall the game by first right clicking on the installer's EXE, then clicking on 'Run as Administrator', then install the game to the default folder of c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary (not the program files (x86) folder). Allow the process to complete entirely, on a Win64 system, it will likely pause for about 15-30 seconds at the last stage of the installation process. Once finished, do not leave the box checked next to launching the game, instead uncheck the box, then click on finish. Then right click on the game's desktop icon, then click on 'Open file location', observe the file explorer window that opens, verify that it opens to the correct 'evochronmercenary.exe' file in the c:\\sw3dg\\evochronmercenary folder. Then right click on the desktop icon again, then click on Properties. Verify the 'Target:' field points to the same location with no spaces or characters either before or after that value. Also verify that the 'Start in:' field shows as 'C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary' also with no spaces or characters either before or after that value. Once that all checks out, go ahead and try to launch the game normal, including 'Run as administrator' and various compatibility options if needed.
I had attempted all that before.

I just wiped my harddrive and reinstalled Win7x64 and voila EM works!! "The parameter is incorrect" is no longer popping up. I am currently reinstalling my other programs seeing what could have caused the error. I'm still thinking something in the registry or not sure if EM relies on the ole Path environment. I remember I had renamed my Administrator account to a different name.

UPDATE

Just came back :(

[Edited on 9-25-2010 by Ohsirus]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

So did it come back after reinstalling a particular program or after you applied a particular setting?
StarWraith 3D Games
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

OMG..Think I found it... Verifying now
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

I have restored my pc to my pre-hardrive wipe state and reinstalled everything with the exception of windows update kb981852. Once I install it EM will not execute, once I uninstall it, it runs perfectly. I have verified it 5 times with the same results. info below:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... xMicrosoft Security Bulletin MS10-047 - Important
Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (981852)
Published: August 10, 2010

Version: 1.0

General Information
Executive Summary
This security update resolves several privately reported vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. The most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on locally and ran a specially crafted application. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit these vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users.

This security update is rated Important for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008; and Moderate for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.

The security update addresses the vulnerabilities by correcting Windows kernel object initialization and validation of access control lists and by introducing additional runtime validation to the thread creation mechanism. For more information about the vulnerabilities, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) subsection for the specific vulnerability entry under the next section, Vulnerability Information.

Recommendation. The majority of customers have automatic updating enabled and will not need to take any action because this security update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Customers who have not enabled automatic updating need to check for updates and install this update manually. For information about specific configuration options in automatic updating, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 294871.

For administrators and enterprise installations, or end users who want to install this security update manually, Microsoft recommends that customers apply the update at the earliest opportunity using update management software, or by checking for updates using the Microsoft Update service.

See also the section, Detection and Deployment Tools and Guidance, later in this bulletin.

Known Issues. None
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Wow 190 fps all full.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

Awesome, thanks for the info! This update seems to cause some problems like this, even causing some people's systems to no longer be bootable. Wonder if there are particular hardware/software configurations that encounter such issues. For example, I've got this update installed on my system as do probably most players without problems. But at least this indicates what can potentially cause it and gives some info to work from.
StarWraith 3D Games
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

error 87

Post by Maarschalk »

Wow a security update was the cause? That is strange......:o
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

error 87

Post by Vice »

Not entirely strange, updates can occasionally introduce problems on systems and this one is pretty new (August 2010). It's been a while since an update like this caused people's system to fail to reboot or cause applications to crash or not launch (that I can recall anyway). The impact of this update seems fairly limited to a narrow spectrum of hardware/software configurations though. Still not good for the people encountering the problems though, especially the failure to boot problem (even in safe mode, yikes).
StarWraith 3D Games
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

error 87

Post by Maarschalk »

I meant strange in the way that it affected a game....ussualy the problems with security updates are systems software issues that get affected. I had never had a security update interfere with any game thou.....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

I'm just amazed that it affects only one application on my pc. I would have never found that without the wipe.
jbeckman
Ensign
Ensign

error 87

Post by jbeckman »

So that's part of what's been causing that issue, that particular KB didn't work here as it's replaced by KB2295805 (Though it's rather limited so most will see the other one.) so after uninstalling that one it worked, unsure what it does that prevents the exe from launching, some signature check perhaps, only game that had this problem but it might be a larger issue with this security improvement and whatever else it does.

Nice to have that solved somewhat, update is mostly extra security and not all too important though I wonder where the problem actually is between the game exe and this.
(Not that I would have any idea about it but it would be interesting to know and get fixed if possible unless the fault is with Microsoft and the update itself.)

EDIT: Yes indeed, thank you for finding out about it, it's not like there's a lot to go on by "parameter incorrect" or rather it's a very broad message and hard to track down, had no idea it could be due to a update.
(Said update fixes some security issues in the Kernel or something related to it but again I have absolutely no idea how that causes this problem and why, strange but now it's fixed and the update isn't all too important so it can remain so for now.)

[Edited on 9-25-2010 by jbeckman]
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by jbeckman
So that's part of what's been causing that issue, that particular KB didn't work here as it's replaced by KB2295805 (Though it's rather limited so most will see the other one.) so after uninstalling that one it worked, unsure what it does that prevents the exe from launching, some signature check perhaps, only game that had this problem but it might be a larger issue with this security improvement and whatever else it does.

Nice to have that solved somewhat, update is mostly extra security and not all too important though I wonder where the problem actually is between the game exe and this.
(Not that I would have any idea about it but it would be interesting to know and get fixed if possible unless the fault is with Microsoft and the update itself.)
Glad I could help
Von Paulus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Von Paulus »

Glad everything is solved.
And jbeckman, welcome this forum. Nice to see you here. :)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

error 87

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi jbeckman, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

BaRtUc
Ensign
Ensign

error 87

Post by BaRtUc »

Thanks Ohsirus! :D
Ohsirus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Ohsirus »

Originally posted by BaRtUc
Thanks Ohsirus! :D
You're welcome and enjoy the game.
stanisluv
Ensign
Ensign

error 87

Post by stanisluv »

Are you shure that Evochron Mercenary ready for release?
Just look:

This is happen only on Windows 7 with SP1 RC.
stanisluv
Ensign
Ensign

error 87

Post by stanisluv »

From post: 97572, Topic: tid=6990, author=Eclipse wrote:
From post: 97571, Topic: tid=6984, author=stanisluv wrote: This is happen only on Windows 7 with SP1 RC.
Known issue with international versions of the SP1 RC, the game is fine, sp1 is not.
I`m not sure that Microsoft know about this issue because I can`t find any info about this issue on Microsoft forums or SP1 beta program portal.

[Edited on 12-5-2010 by stanisluv]

[Edited on 12-5-2010 by stanisluv]
Von Paulus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

error 87

Post by Von Paulus »

Yes running well here with Win7 Professional X64 and all updates.