Starcraft 2

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by MaceUK »

I'm just installing it now! :)

Oh, and I have 2 guest passes which gives you either 7 hours of play or 14 days from acticvation, whichever comes first.

If you want one PM me, first come first served :)

[Edited on 27-7-2010 by MaceUK]
Knight Rider
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by Knight Rider »

After midnight, there were millions of gamers around the world who have literally double locked there room doors, hoarded about a few days worth of food, and have the do not disturb sign on the door.

Nooooo, Noooooo, I can hold out, I can hold out. :P:P

One comentator posted his gameplay 30 minutes after he got it.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hRoNBq ... re=related
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Originally posted by verbosity
do they still have that spwn install thing? if so can I borrow your disk ?
Dunno. But I have two free guest passes, as the other player stated. 1st two who U2U me, I'll pass on the activations codes.

it's a swine getting the thing up and running. You have to log on to their "Battlenet", so need an internet connection, which I'm not too keen on.

It has a massive HD footprint, 20gb!!! And, takes ages to load up. I hit the 3S's, made and ate breatfast, and it had just finished loading up. You can also download it from the site, if you don't want to buy a disc.

The first three missions are a doddle, just the Zerg. The next one looks a bit more promising as it has both Protoss and Zerg elements.
Image And mad cat
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

After playing Vice's games for the last few years, having a game take up 20GB just for eye-candy is not for me (I still squawk loudly over the 1.8GB space Guild Wars takes up). The "excessive" drive footprint combined with those long load times definitely makes this a game to avoid for me, I'll stick to my old MechCommander games for my RTS fix.
You're going to miss out on a lot of lovely gameplay with that attitude. The technicalities shouldn't matter, the game should.

While the installation took quite a while, I have no problems with long loading times here.

The game is absolutely awesome, by the way. Played some really unique missions - I'm not even halfway - and I love the difficulty of some of them; it's just right, all of them.

[Edited on 28-7-2010 by tha_rami]
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by tha_rami and I love the difficulty of some of them; it's just right, all of them.
IIRC does the game not adjust its difficulty to you ensuring that each level get more difficult, but none is beyond your skill?
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by MaceUK »

It's not 20Gb, the box says 12Gb but my install folder says 8Gb but I have 1Tb drive so it really doesn't matter to me.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Checked after MaceUK's comment - I got it at around 8GB too. I usually don't check that stuff as long as the game is fun.
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by MaceUK »

Originally posted by verbosity
Originally posted by tha_rami and I love the difficulty of some of them; it's just right, all of them.
IIRC does the game not adjust its difficulty to you ensuring that each level get more difficult, but none is beyond your skill?
Not the SP. In MP you get matched against people with the same skill level as yourself.
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Originally posted by MaceUK
It's not 20Gb, the box says 12Gb but my install folder says 8Gb but I have 1Tb drive so it really doesn't matter to me.
I took what it said on the "System Warning" as Gospel, it stated that it needed at least 20gb of HD. I've checked back, on my HD, and it actually takes up 8.3GB, still a helluva lot of HD space, still, I've got plenty of space, so, who cares?

Been enjoying it, so far, but am stuck on the "Whispers of Doom". I've opened the last temple thingy, and started the run for home, get slaughtered by the Zerg. Think I've worked out where I went wrong - find out soon - hopefully!
Image And mad cat
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by verbosity »

woo, I just had a go of the 7-hour trial ( thanks again raven), woo i have to say its cool. as soon as I can justify the price tag I'm going to get it.
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by MaceUK »

I still have my 2 guest passes if anyone wants one? It's a sad thing if you can't even give something away lol.
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Yiiiii! Finished "The Whispers of Doom" - a toughie. ++++Poss Spoiler++++ Don't be too keen on wiping out the stone blockades!!
Image And mad cat
Knight Rider
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by Knight Rider »

O.K. they are now expecting to sell 7 Million Units at $40 a pop which equals 280 Million - the 100 Million Start Up- profit on the units alone (180 Million Dollars). :o
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by tk7223 »

Where the heck is SC2 at for $40???

I can only find it for $59....and I aint biting at that price.
Knight Rider
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by Knight Rider »

:P.. Now that I've taken a closer look it reads £39.99 in pounds for the standard edition.

I have to rework the math in dollars.

$59.99 x 7 million units = $419,930,000, rounded off to 420 million - 100 million in start up, Profit on the units alone, 320 Million dollars. Wow..that is insane, I would say somebody's going to have a great christmas. What could you buy with 320 Million?

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by Knight Rider]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by Maarschalk »

That is insane, I guess I won't be seeing some of you in Legends any more till the Release of Mercenary that is.....LOL....:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by tk7223 »

LOL...they make more than that each month in WoW subsciber fees. 11 million players x $14.99 each month = my dream retirement fund. Blizzard is not a company in need of money. I think they struggle with inovation and talent to keep all the players happy.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Blizzard is an extraordinary company that really lives by the 'if its not broken don't fix it'-philosophy. They don't innovate to innovate, and they don't make games as art. They're just a powerhouse company full of talent, focusing on making entertainment. With three extremely powerful franchises.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by tk7223 »

Originally posted by tha_rami
Blizzard is an extraordinary company that really lives by the 'if its not broken don't fix it'-philosophy. They don't innovate to innovate, and they don't make games as art. They're just a powerhouse company full of talent, focusing on making entertainment. With three extremely powerful franchises.
I agree...they do a very good job of using talent and inovation to progress the entertainment and adictiveness of their games. One of the reasons I like to listen to blizzcast is to hear about how they struggle to maintain this balance. They do deserve the money they make...I am still jealous of the mountain of moola they rake in tho hehehe:P
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

WHOA DOUBLE-U-TEE-EFF AT THE CAMPAIGNS ENDING.

Sorry.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by verbosity »

well I'm guessing they would do that, you're gonna need to wait for the other two parts?

But whoa that was quick man ( did you sleep at all in the last couple of days?), at least you can play and claim you're doing your homework :D
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by Maarschalk »

ROFL....Verb........:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:D:D:D;):);):D:D:D:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Homework for the win!
ryuu
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by ryuu »

i like homework, been trying to give verb some... he sorta does it... a bit... well no he dosen't, but only cause i normally end up working it out myself... well most of the time...
the day has ended, the night is yet to come
light and darkness, opposite sides to the same coin, yet what may do not realize is that this coin holds a third side, a side not of either or the other, but of both, a side of twilight. when light and darkness destroy eachother, there is nothing left but twilight, yet aslong as one or the other exists twilight exists within it, that is both the power and weakness of twilight. i am Ryuu Hakumei, The twilight Dragon. The Dusk Has Come

part three of The Fire of Twilight now posted! http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5546
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Game Design educations make homework so much better.