Starcraft 2

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

However, it's greatest strength is exactly that it is traditional. It's not just prettied up tho, Starcraft II is 'new & improved'. It has new units, new tactics and new strategical (dis)advantages in terrain. It offers new gameplay in between singleplayer missions and some focal points that contemporary strategy games feature.

By the way, some of us (including me) had access to the SC2 beta, so there already is some knowledge out there about how the game plays ;).
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Also by the way, for those who believe the graphics aren't "that spectacular", most of the following (and assumed final) trailer released yesterday is rendered in the game engine.

http://youtu.be/C_E83GfWM-A

Sure, it's cheesy and it has generic action movie music but hey, they nailed it either way. For those who remember, that's Kerrigan as she is betrayed by Mengsk and left to the Zerg swarm in the original Starcraft. This prompted her infestation and transformation into the Zerg Queen of Blades (that and a life of guilt for Raynor).

[Edited on 22-7-2010 by tha_rami]
ryuu
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by ryuu »

i got in the beta, played for a bit, didn't find it all that good, i can understand people liking it, i just prefer tbs to rts, more time to think and work out wtf is going on in a game with no instructions (never played sc1)
the day has ended, the night is yet to come
light and darkness, opposite sides to the same coin, yet what may do not realize is that this coin holds a third side, a side not of either or the other, but of both, a side of twilight. when light and darkness destroy eachother, there is nothing left but twilight, yet aslong as one or the other exists twilight exists within it, that is both the power and weakness of twilight. i am Ryuu Hakumei, The twilight Dragon. The Dusk Has Come

part three of The Fire of Twilight now posted! http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5546
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Personally a great fan of TBS and RTS, I really enjoyed and continue to enjoy games like Wesnoth, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. However, RTS has that certain 'pressure' behind every keystroke that makes it feel a bit more 'alive' to me.

Starcraft II's graphics are good enough to support Third Person Shooter gameplay, but even more amazing, the game allows itself to be modded to play like anything. Besides new RTS maps, enthusiast modders in the beta already created clones of Galaga, Metal Slug and Tetris within Starcraft II, but also third person shooters, adventure games and even the base of a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy. You can only wait until someone tries a space sim, I guess =P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU4eEc3phQ8
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by MaceUK »

I've been looking into this game and have 'warmed' to it enough to order it lol. Looks nicer from newer videos and screens I have seen and quite like the story and the modding potential mentioned above, especially the FPS one, sounds interesting.

I just hope the online play doesn't put me off with being slaughtered over and over lol.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

@MaceUK Oh, you will be slaughtered at times, but most of the times its just people like us enjoying our game. You get better at it the more you play, too. Finishing the campaign should put you at a good headstart in multiplayer, as they will also explain hotkeys and the like during the missions.

[Edited on 23-7-2010 by tha_rami]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starcraft 2

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by MaceUK

Looks nicer from newer videos and screens I have seen and quite like the story and the modding potential mentioned above, especially the FPS one, sounds interesting.
:cool: Well, if it actually has an FPS option, that's a horse of a different color!
Mackin
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by Mackin »

Far Far Far Far too hard to get into if you didn't play the Beta or the original... i got a key from an associate only to find out there are people who can assemble armies out of thin air.

Nice game though, have fun.
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by MaceUK »

Originally posted by Mackin
Far Far Far Far too hard to get into if you didn't play the Beta or the original... i got a key from an associate only to find out there are people who can assemble armies out of thin air.

Nice game though, have fun.
I hear there is a ranking system so you only get paired up against people of similar ability.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Yeah, it will pit you against enemies of similar ability if all goes well. Which still means you'll be slaughtered every now and then, but hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for Zerg-rushes. Those kill you anyway.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by verbosity »

I have to say I'm interested, I hope they release a demo though........
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Mackin
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by Mackin »

I hear there is a ranking system so you only get paired up against people of similar ability.

In the beta they were supposed to have that system but no matter how many times I lost and how much I improved my game I still lost 90% of the time.

Great game though, and the system is probably improvedsince the beta :D
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by MaceUK »

Originally posted by Mackin

In the beta they were supposed to have that system but no matter how many times I lost and how much I improved my game I still lost 90% of the time.

Great game though, and the system is probably improvedsince the beta :D

I hope so. I don't want to get paired with some super human Korean kid whos fingers move faster than light.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by tk7223 »

Now..I am not a RTS fan. However, I do have the original Starcraft and it was fun. But what many folks don't realize is this game is not going to make the bulk of it's money here in the United States. This game is crazy popular in the Asian market, they could have spent many times that production budget and still made a profit. They have snacks and drinks dedicated to Starcraft and it is a 12 yr old game. S.Korea has National competitions on their TV stations soley devoted to this game. So, even if they spent a million in production, it would be a drop in the bucket.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starcraft 2

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Assuming the publishers get royalties from overseas merchandising.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Just to enforce the notion that its super-popular in Korea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQE6AZ5OoA
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by tk7223 »

Nice one Rami....the N.Koreans better never make the mistake of messing with the South's Starcraft stuff....or they could be opening a can-o-zerg LOL
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL...that is a Share your jokes one...:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
MaceUK
Ensign
Ensign

Starcraft 2

Post by MaceUK »

I think I will get the strategy guide for this one too :)

Been watching some SC2 beta gameplay vids and it is like a faster, more complicated version of chess :) looking forward to it now.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starcraft 2

Post by tk7223 »

BTW....800,000 pre-orders as of this morning. Personally, I will wait till the game drops below $40 before I buy it.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by tha_rami »

Ordered and picking it up as I get back in the Netherlands. Even though I don't have a PC to play it on anymore. This is gaming history.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by MMaggio »

LOL Vice! What would you do with "800,000" preorders for Mercenary?
Probably drop dead from shock, eh?
Definately take the family to Disneyland?
Well, you can dream....
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starcraft 2

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Half of the profits probably go to advertising. And a bloated office crew.
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Starcraft 2

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Weh, Hey! My copy has just arrived. That's me lost for the next month1 :)
Image And mad cat
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by verbosity »

do they still have that spwn install thing? if so can I borrow your disk ?
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies