The Sphere

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by Accountant »

Just so all of you know, the name of this mod release is the reason I am an accountant and not a marketer :D

Some of you may remember this thread that alpha45 started with the article about space battles. After I read that article, I decided to create a ship that the author described would be a probable design in the future. As you will soon see from the screenshots, the result is ungainly :D I am quite sure the reason games and video media use sleek designs is because they look so much better than a drifting ball.

I created 2 versions of my design, one with maneuvering engines and one with exhaust ports (that line up with EL's maneuvering thruster locations).

I also created a cockpit specifically for the ships, which I think looks much cooler than the ships themselves. With the cockpit being in the middle of the ship, there would be no windows to the outside. As a result, the only way to pass on visual information would be through the use of cameras and computer screens. I have modeled the cockpit to simulate being in a round enclosure with screens all around. Obviously, with this sort of visibility, it would be prudent to keep visual obstructions to a minimum. Therefore, this cockpit is the definition of minimalism, comprising only of the pilot's seat and avionics screens.

Ship Link
Cockpit Link
Cockpit 2 Link

Changelog:
V1.00: Initial Release
V1.01: Changed UV Mapping

Here are some screenshots.

Sphere version 1

Sphere version 2

Cockpit

As you can see, the ship is kinda fugly. I like the cockpit much more than the ship. Guess which mod took me longer to make :P

-Accountant

[Edited on 2-12-2010 by Accountant]
Enforcing GAAP in the outer systems since 2407.

Callsigns: [CPA]Accountant and Dark Helmet
Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

The Sphere

Post by 49rTbird »

Make it square and sell it to the Borg. LOL :P:D:P
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by Accountant »

Lol thetiebers! I work for no Borg. Maybe our spherical ships will be the weakness of the Borg and we will be impossible to assimilate.

-Accountant

Mods: EL Observation Cockpit | Dragonfly | Swallow | ER/EL Hud Mod | Sphere and Sphere Cockpit
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

The Sphere

Post by 49rTbird »

Originally posted by Accountant
Lol thetiebers! I work for no Borg. Maybe our spherical ships will be the weakness of the Borg and we will be impossible to assimilate.

-Accountant
LOL, I like the openness of the cockpit also.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Sphere

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by thetiebers

Make it square and sell it to the Borg. LOL :P:D:P
Too late. First Contact.
TheCalebB
Ensign
Ensign

The Sphere

Post by TheCalebB »

very....... interesting?
I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alpha45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by alpha45 »

Eh, I'd take this over a flying cardboard box anyday. At least it's practical.
\"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.\" -Anonymous

\"Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.\" -P.D. East

\"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.\" -Buddha

Delicious brains!
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by Accountant »

Interesting design theory.
very....... interesting?
You guys can be honest if you do not like it. I don't even like it all that much. I designed the ship only to be an exercise, a visualization if you will, of what future ship design could be. I was not initially going to release the ship, and the only reason I did was because I modeled the cockpit and kinda liked it.

I hope our future spacecraft look nothing like this :P I would much rather they look like cheop's Stingray, Nigel's Bat, alpha's Havok Mk 1, Eclipse's Talisman, Wasp's Wasp, or any one of the other really good looking models :cool:

-Accountant

49rTbird
Captain
Captain

The Sphere

Post by 49rTbird »

It would be an easier design for any future force fields as they would tend to radiate out from a center.:)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Sphere

Post by Marvin »

:cool: If the command chair was in the center and could rotate in all three axes, the sphere would be the perfect shape ... allowing the pilot equal-distant access to equipment attached to the interior. Unfortunately, the cockpit only has skinny braces ... not much space for attaching anything.

;) Except maybe a variety of HUDs. (Personally, I like the design ... reminds me of a "habitat" design I saw years and years ago for multi-generation voyages. But, a more practical mult-generation ship would be ring-shaped ... with the ring spinning so as to generate artificial gravity.)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

The Sphere

Post by Maarschalk »

I think I would use a design like that for exploring and research purposes. It would be perfect for that....forget about the Borg, they explore to asimilate.......LOL....:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by Accountant »

Unfortunately, the cockpit only has skinny braces
Technically, those "skinny braces" are the gaps between the computer screens that display the outside world to the pilot. Remember, the cockpit is deep within the ship and there are no windows. I modeled the braces to attempt to simulate computer screen edges. It takes a little bit of imagination, but the illusion is possible.

So, because those are merely edges of computer screens, it would be possible to attach something to the wall, much as I have done with the two side avionics displays. All you have to do is "cut out" some of the camera display and attach a fitting in its place.

-Accountant

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Sphere

Post by Marvin »

Is it possible, then, to just move the three status screens so they overlap the three forward partitions?
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by Accountant »

I could try doing that, but doing so could cause the screens to be unreadably small because, in order to make the screen movement match the ship's movement, I would have to move them further back.

I could play around with it and post something in a day or so.

-Accountant

Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by Accountant »

I have changed the UV mapping for the two frames. I think what I have now is a considerable improvement over what I originally had. Download link is the same.

-Accountant

Sinbad
Commander
Commander

The Sphere

Post by Sinbad »

I like the cup holder by the flight stick where you can put your can of beer so it won't spill during a dogfight.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by Accountant »

@MCCON
Yes, I like the cup holder as well. It has sort of become my trademark as every cockpit I have created has had a cupholder somewhere :cool:

@Marvin
I did what I think you suggested. The download link for the Sphere Cockpit type 2 is in the first post. Below are screenshots of what the new type looks like.

-Accountant

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Sphere

Post by Marvin »

My fault, Cupholder (er, Accountant) ... I didn't check the parameters for "gauges.txt" before making the suggestion. I thought (incorrectly) that you could change the size of each display so that it would fit in an entire "window" ... but, checking the ReadMe for the customizing kit, I see I was wro ... wro ... wron .... [choke].
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

The Sphere

Post by MMaggio »

I hope that "beer holder" is in a gimbal mount!
Even in space, I have managed to spill some beer.
It really messes up the electronics!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

The Sphere

Post by 49rTbird »

Or Cockpit must have it's own gravity control. Lol
Accountant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Sphere

Post by Accountant »

My fault, Cupholder (er, Accountant) ... I didn't check the parameters for "gauges.txt" before making the suggestion. I thought (incorrectly) that you could change the size of each display so that it would fit in an entire "window"
Yeah, I wish this was possible because I am sure the result would look pretty cool.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Accountant