new star trek film..............

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

I've not seen it yet, I'm looking forward to it though.

One review has not been so good though.....
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/t ... _trek_film
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
matthewfarmery
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by matthewfarmery »

I haven't seen it yet myself, I may at some point, from what I read, if you like the TOS, and William Shatner as Kirk, thenb you are better off NOT watching this new film, I read somewhere that the director himself said that,

but I have read topis of people that have watched the film, they thought the film was great, that it has a revamped story / universe, so it doesn't follow any of the previous films / series in any way

I have read mix review of this film, but most I read seem to like it rather then dislike
berighteous
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by berighteous »

Geez. Everybody likes it. It has a 96% rating on the tomatometer - 211 good reviews by major reviewers and only 9 bad reviews. It's the best reviewed trek movie ever.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/
Callsign: [SW]Banjo
-------------
Legends
Flying: Avenger
Rank CAPT - Superior L3
Confirmed Kills: 3500 - Paid Contracts 400+
--------------
Mercenary
Flying: Starmaster. no interesting stats yet.
berighteous
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by berighteous »

Here's a funny review from youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM
-------------
Legends
Rank CAPT - Superior L3
--------------
Mercenary
reanor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by reanor »

Haha thats a good one with a taste of humor.

I personally think one thing - HOLLYWOOD.

Both sides however have fallen into exaggerated conclusions. One side says that its great the way movie was - super action packed Hollywood style "BOMBASTIC" and the fans on the other hand miss the traditional Star Trek feel.

They could have added a bit more of dialogue into the movie. Otherwise its just all non-stop action. Good guys beat up bad guys badly. I guess value of "bad-ass" is very important in todays Hollywood movies....

Movie is good. But you take nothing out of the theater with you. I understand while trekkies were disappointed.
Grue
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grue »

I highly enjoyed it. I'm old enough to say I watched the original Star Trek on TV. (not the re-runs).

What I liked about the movie:
- The acting wasn't bad. I was expecting Star Wars (new Star Wars bad) bad but it wasn't.
- Good action
- Good plot and progression . You see the characters as kids and they progress to the their currrent ages. They also do a nice back story on most of the characters. Nothing long where you are bored. Just enough so if you never seen Star Trek you can understand why these characters act the way they do.
- Humor
- They paid a good amount of attention to detail about the original cast and show. Not perfect but they tried.
-Action scenes are all over the places. Bars, ships, planets, etc. It is not just ship to ship combat in fact the movie is sort of lacking in that department.

The movie reminded me of Transformers. Action+humor+plot+good progression of the film.

If you have kids I don't recommend anyone under 10 see it. The action is like Indiana Jones. You see people get squished by large objects or disappear off screen via a long fall. The movie doesn't zone in on the death but you assume the character didn't survive what occurred to them.
4ad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 4ad »

The movie is bad .
Characters are weak , story is cliché , lore (if any) is raped ; teenager girls will love it tho
reanor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by reanor »

Originally posted by 4ad
The movie is bad .
Characters are weak , story is cliché , lore (if any) is raped ; teenager girls will love it tho
I agree with you too :cool:. Even though I wouldn't say 'bad' but there is just so much of Hollywood "smog" in it... that at some points you may frown sometimes :). And movie can really be compared to the "Transformers", same Hollywood style. Its like movies are being done by the same template in Hollywood:

action
sex (exposed body scenes or sex scenes)
some drama

with a few variations.

At least I didn't hear anyone saying "f&%k". That was good enough for me.

[Edited on 5-12-2009 by reanor]

[Edited on 5-12-2009 by reanor]
berighteous
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by berighteous »

Anyone still complaining about how the new Star Trek film doesn't live up to the spirit of trek or Roddenberry's vision of the future should watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhDsDNg0mAo

This is just wrong. Funny, sure, but wrong. And they put this out when Roddenberry was still alive. It's about time someone breathes some new life in trek.
-------------
Legends
Rank CAPT - Superior L3
--------------
Mercenary
matthewfarmery
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by matthewfarmery »

yeah that was funny, I haven't seen the new trek yet, and I am a trekkie fan:) saying that, I was never that keen on TNG, never thought much of them, while a reboot might be a good idea, I think they might have been better to leave the well documented past well alone, and went forward in time, rather then mess around with what has been. DS9 was proably the best show, then voyager, but I agree that the shows in general where getting old, long in the tooth, saying that, I liked Babylon5 miles better then the newer stuff, but that is another discussion for another time;)
4ad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 4ad »

Originally posted by reanor

I agree with you too :cool:. Even though I wouldn't say 'bad' but there is just so much of Hollywood "smog" in it... that at some points you may frown sometimes :). And movie can really be compared to the "Transformers", same Hollywood style. Its like movies are being done by the same template in Hollywood:

action
sex (exposed body scenes or sex scenes)
some drama

with a few variations.

At least I didn't hear anyone saying "f&%k". That was good enough for me.

I have no problem with nudity ( unless we are talking about Ferenghi females) , linguistic extremism and bad taste drama , it is just sad to see the biggest movie industry drifting into decay.

If you are an adult watch "Ringu" and then "The Ring" then watch "REC" and then "Quarantine" (all of them horror movies) and compare , those guys have lost their touch and money are not helping things out.

On topic : i read some critics about the "shaking camera effect" , SHAKING CAMERA IS TRADITION IN STAR TREK - ZOOMING IN AND OUT IS NOT TRECKY .
The amount of \\\\live long and prosper// was a mood killer .
Romulan ships that do not look Romulan are tasteless , i mean this thing looked like a mix between Vorlons and Shaddows .
Heroic chicks delivering into battle? very innovative , i wonder how the hell only this script writer and "farscape - peacekeeper wars" producers thought of it .
matthewfarmery
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by matthewfarmery »

Hollywood are decaying, I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine with a friend, after the film, we rated it as a 3 out of 5, it was average, nothing special what so ever, certainly not worth going to the cinema to see. Transformers I hated, my friend liked the film, manly because of a few people were in it, and he said that its a you get what you see film, no story just action. thing is, the cartoons, at least the old ones were long running, the film was utter pointless because there was no story, it was simply action and flashy graphics, nothing special what to ever, and as for 2, I will not watch

The other big issue with Hollywood, well there are two, the first is the amount of remakes they are producing

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/15211/3 ... about.html

as if the current lot were bad enough, they are dredging films that shouldn't be remade or basically why better an already good film? or in some cases, reboots of failed franchises, Hollywood are stopping at nothing to make them some money and they are just dredging any old stuff now, as they have been desperatre for a long time. most of those remakes, I would say leave well alone, we don't need to see them again

I heard on BBC radio 4 on Hollywood, and what directions they are resorting too, one being religion, now, Im not religious, ok I believe there is a higher being, but that is as far as it goes, now I heard thatr Hollywood are making religious films, basically because its a new direction for them to make money on, I nearly laugh out aloud when I heard that rubbish, one film was about a American football couch embracing god and his team started to win matches, but there arer others

personally stuff like that should be left well alone, but again, as long as it makes money, Hollywood will make a film on it / of it etc I think the term, they don't make them like they used too, well applies to Hollywood films. I think Hollywood itself needs a major reboot / rethink, at its present course, films are getting weaker and weaker and no one will want to watch them, as we really haver seen them all before:(:(:(:(
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Wolverine was pretty good - its just that superhero movies are on the rise with the likes of Batman and Ironman recently delivering extremely good value for your money, and Wolverine just can't place itself between those two.

Star Trek, I'll admit that I never liked the series. Acting was meh, storylines were meh, (S)FX were extremely meh - I honestly think the only reason people can really like Star Trek is either nostalgia or fanboyism. It can't be the amazing dialogue or storytelling, those just... well, just no.

My review, next week :).
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

I like Ironman and Transformers, Batman was also not bad.
I saw Volvarine too, worst of the series imo.