Ship GPS or Mapping directions

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Star King
Commander
Commander

Post by Star King »

We are in advanced spacecraft? There needs to be an on board computer to give the gate or quadrant sequence (examples):

To get to Vonari
To get to Deneb
To get to where ever.

Hunting for gates isn't fun and frustrating. It is more fun to fight, trade or complete missions.
Some of the quadrants lead you to dead ends.
Even if we had written instructions giving us directions that lead us to the various quadrants that would be neat.
Wasp89
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Wasp89 »

Star King,

If you click on the "quadrant map" button on the nav console, it will display an image of the different systems in Evochron. Lines connecting the system indicate gates linking those systems. For example, if one wanted to get from Sapphire to Pearl, one could pull up the quadrant map and see that there are lines leading to Pearl in the sequence Sapphire-Thuban-Pices-Pearl, or Sapphire-Thuban-Virgo-Rucker-Pearl. I hope this helps.
-The race is not to the swift,
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise,
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all...

...For death is the destiny of every man;
the living should take this to heart...
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Wasp is right, the quadrant map is the 'mapping directions' for linked charted systems. You can further use it as a virtual 'GPS' by the green dot that appears on the map, indicating your current system position on the quadrant map.

Vonari is not part of the gate network 'sequence' and is intentionally designed to be more difficult to get to.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
berighteous
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by berighteous »

You can get to any normal system easily and in only a few minutes. What are you complaining about?

The nav map shows all the gates within 48 square sectors of your position at any time. A quick look at the quadrant map can give you the route you need to take (although it looks to me like Deneb is connected to Aquila, when it's really connected to Alpha Centauri), and once you jump from where you are to the next system in the route, you can quickly find the gate to the next one.

Last night I went from CWZ to Deneb in less than 4 minutes, and it would have been faster but I had to ask for directions in Aquila.

It's hardly frustrating to get from any place to any other place. Riftspace is time consuming to get to, but it should be. It's in the middle of nowhere. But once you get to there you can get to the outer regions quickly.

You can always add the gate locations you want into your map log. Then it's just keeping it open and clicking on the gates in sequence.

[Edited on 3-30-2009 by berighteous]
Callsign: [SW]Banjo
-------------
Legends
Flying: Avenger
Rank CAPT - Superior L3
Confirmed Kills: 3500 - Paid Contracts 400+
--------------
Mercenary
Flying: Starmaster. no interesting stats yet.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

I can actually see how this wold lower navigation difficulty for new players. I must say I kind of like the idea.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

GPS stands for Global Positioning Satelite, What we need is a UPS Universal Positioning System, (No not United States Parcel Service!lol):P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

I like the Nav system a lot now with all of the improvements that Vice has made ;)..... Hang in there Star King you will get use to it soon.
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Yes,new navigation panel works well, I like it too.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by BraveHart
I like the Nav system a lot now with all of the improvements that Vice has made ;)..... Hang in there Star King you will get use to it soon.
I agree, very nice Nav system!:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Gordon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gordon »

Trust me Star King, what the guys are saying is right, at first I had a heck of a time getting to gates and then lining up properly, now getting from Sierra to Deneb is like a walk in the park. I have some gates marked in my game but I no longer use them, you will find there is an easier way to navigate from system to system in no time. Most players want to find out things on their own so I am intentionally being vague but if you need help just reach out to me or any of the vets via U2U.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by Gordon
Trust me Star King, what the guys are saying is right, at first I had a heck of a time getting to gates and then lining up properly, now getting from Sierra to Deneb is like a walk in the park. I have some gates marked in my game but I no longer use them, you will find there is an easier way to navigate from system to system in no time. Most players want to find out things on their own so I am intentionally being vague but if you need help just reach out to me or any of the vets via U2U.
The game is intentionally designed like this, that you get the satisfaction of learning skills and tricks on your own, and if your stuck with something there are plenty of vets around to help you all you have to do is ask!:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

While I agree with the filosophy, I'm still afraid that those who do not access the forum will have a hard time getting the best from the game.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Originally posted by tha_rami
While I agree with the filosophy, I'm still afraid that those who do not access the forum will have a hard time getting the best from the game.
I agree, that is why Vice is working on a Strategy guide. And that is why the game comes with tips and tricks!;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats: