All Hail Carwash! (respect for the work of modders)

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
reaper2040
Ensign
Ensign

Post by reaper2040 »

Struggling with my first-ever game mod, A scratch built cockpit, I must express to everyone that people like Carwash deserve our appreciation!

I have made 3D architectural renderings for many years, including VR objects and movies. I have an enormous monetary investment in CAD software and no lack of "Geek Factor" to draw from. I honestly thought this cockpit would be a 20 hour project.

I am now humbled.

The good news is that I am exploring new regions of my software toolbox; the bad news is that what I see in my CAD screen does not exactly carry into the game screen. Like jumping to a planet surface, the satisfaction comes from success (I have not achieved success in either endevor).

Modeling is fun, and I will continue until a new cockpit is ready for distribution; in the meantime, I will enjoy and appreciate the efforts of others.

BTW, SketchUp is really a great program for anyone interested in jumping into this. The demo is free and very powerful on its own.

Finally: Thanks for your help and inspiration Carwash!

You mentioned in an earlier post that you would be willing to provide your Industrial Cockpit.skp for others to mod. I would be interested in having this file to compare to some of my issues, as well as your control panel selections for the plugin that creates the final output to a .x file
Carwash
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Carwash »

I'm a sucker for flattery.

Here's the Sketchup file, please bear in mind this isn't finished. I've adjusted the Zdepth on this since the last release so the guages.txt from THAT release wont be aligned (i.e all the screens will probably be out of place if you just export this sketchup file to .x and use the old guages.txt).

By all means do a guages.txt yourself, it'll save me the trouble :D

SKETCHUP FILE

As for the export settings in the plugin it depends what i'm exporting. The default settings usually, but sometimes I tick the 'Export Selected only' box if I just want to export bits of the model for the ccpitreflect.x or ccpitlights.x

Feel free to use bits of this for your own pits or even just mod and release slight varients of the pit as you like. I'm not precious (but you're right I AM brilliant.)

[Edited on 3-16-2009 by Carwash]