EXE Failed to Initialize

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Deritus
Ensign
Ensign

EXE Failed to Initialize

Post by Deritus »

I had downloaded and installed the Evochron Legends demo last night and played through the timer before bed. However, this morning when I tried to start it up again to get to the registration page, an error message popped up saying the exe failed to initialize.

I thought at first maybe it had been corrupted somehow so I uninstalled and then did a fresh install with the same result. Tried it once more with a freshly downloaded installer from another mirror, again with the same result.

The chances of two downloads from separate sources being corrupt along with the game exe and installer corrupting overnight on my hard drive for no apparent reason are so high they could easily be called impossible. Especially considering I just did a check on my hard drive and I don't have a single failed sector nor am I having issues with anything else on my system.

I can only assume there is some registry edit preventing it from launching but I have to ask how exactly would I enter an ID and key now that I can't get to the registration page?

Let's be clear here: No, I have not yet purchased a key. Was going to go through the game to the purchase site instead of digging through my history or a google search. I did however, intend to purchase it today as the demo impressed me and reminded me of an improved Battlecruiser game (different ship type but same open world concept).

[Edited on 2-7-2009 by Deritus]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

EXE Failed to Initialize

Post by Vice »

Hmm, that is strange and isn't how it normally works. Try downloading and installing the latest build from this link specifically:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochron_legends.exe
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Deritus
Ensign
Ensign

EXE Failed to Initialize

Post by Deritus »

Uninstalled the other version, deleted the previous install file, downloaded from there installed and have the exact same issue.

Exact error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Comes up a second time when you hit OK, then finally goes away when you hit OK again.

I have my AV off, nothing else is running except Firefox. I'm going to try a restart and see if it fixes anything (doubt it).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

EXE Failed to Initialize

Post by Vice »

Ah, ok, the 0xc0000005 error is a memory access violation. This can be caused by a number of things, but it's not likely related to the game. Symantec A/V is known to cause this (with Google Chrome for example), your registry could be damaged/corrupt, it can be a .NET problem, or a few other things. If you're familiar with the Windows error log, it might offer some additional clues. If you'd like me to take a look at your system, follow the steps here: https://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegends/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
Deritus
Ensign
Ensign

EXE Failed to Initialize

Post by Deritus »

Restart actually fixed it.

It did flip out and tossed up a number of errors when I tried to start the game afterwards. I just clicked ok for most of them thinking it had even more issues but one I recall was the Directx conflict (163 I think?) then it started normally (which surprised me). So I exited and started it again with no errors at all.

Still quite odd that it would carry over from multiple installs and affect nothing else on my system so I'm going to have to look into that. Might have some underlying issue on my computer.

Even tried firing up everything I've used today but I can't repeat it.

I had gone through dxdiag and a sector check on my hard drive. Checked the ram and it most of it was free. I use Avast for my AV.

I'm just going to chalk it up to a fluke. Thank you for your help and I apologize for not trying the tried and true restart in the first place.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

EXE Failed to Initialize

Post by Vice »

No problem, glad you got it to work. :)
StarWraith 3D Games