New Photos Added!

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

I did some work tonight on finalizing my panel display creation. I FINALLY FOUND THE WAY!!!...

I'll send Verbosity a pre and post picture to try and show the results. It's kinda hard to get the full effect due to the poor quality camera I have(it's about 3 yrs old). But trust me it's every bit the quality of real Star Trek props. I started by painting my support wood black, then do a photoshop of my panel art on good quality photo paper. I mount a white cold cathode light to the underside of my cut out section under the wood and place my picture on top of the other side of the wood. Then I used 1/4 inch plexiglass and a layer of dark window tint. When the back light is off...it's like black glass..when it's on..the only area lit up is the colored section of my print out. I found two key things to achieve this...1st don't spare the black ink on my photo shop print out..all background is printed in black. 2nd the window tint has to be just right..too dark and you get a dim lit image and too light a tint and you can see the display when the backlight is off.

I'm sending my images to Verbosity and hopefully he'll get them posted here for me when he has time...

Oh..and this graphic is located just forward of my X52 thrust contoller. The first image I still have the tan protective paper on the plexiglass.
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by Daedalao »

You absolutely need to post pictures... because I am intrigued.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

I should add that this affect if for a non-working display..no buttons work..it's just for show. I am still working on a cheap way to make my functional panel buttons. Every one's 'how to's' are just too expensive for me to get into. I may just end up going for Mechwarrior style toggles and buttons with the same color scheme.....
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Ok..after messing around with Goodle Picasso..lets see if this works...

[Edited on 2-6-2009 by tk7223]
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

and after..
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by Daedalao »

I'm geeking out over that panel man...
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

wow...that's really dark when I pull it up...so here is an actual copy of the LCARS art
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eR ... directlink

I have to say I'm really happy now with my panel displays...I'll be very busy this weekend!!

tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Picked up my 42" display today after work and tested Renegades from my laptop....Very Nice....Now I'm really wanting to get my gaming tower hooked up and try Legends with my X52 cockpit...(drool)...
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Ok, I worked on a few more graphics for my panel displays. I also printed a graphic overlay for my Saitek Command Pad buttons and just above it I'll mount my two manual toggle switches to control the Master power for my display lights and Vent fans.

Here's a link to the Picasso Album..
http://picasaweb.google.com/tk7223/MyPi ... directlink
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

New Photos Added!

Post by Vice »

Wow, very nice!
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
warsign
Captain
Captain

New Photos Added!

Post by warsign »

Yes indeed.
Looks clean...
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

here's a link to my on-going picasso album...much wood working done today to get the frame up going....Took all of the Plexi-displays out to work with out worry of breakage..But I put the main plexi front part in for the pic(I dont have the proctective paper off it yet.).

MMaggio
Captain
Captain

New Photos Added!

Post by MMaggio »

Uh, have you given any thought to how you get in that thing and of course, once in, how do you get out?:P
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
spelk
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

New Photos Added!

Post by spelk »

Once he gets in, he'll hit Warp Drive and never come back... :)
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Originally posted by MMaggio
Uh, have you given any thought to how you get in that thing and of course, once in, how do you get out?:P
yes...much like a real cockpit. It will have a sliding roof/side panel with a marked foot step and hand-hold. There will be a marked spot inside, just forward of the seat, raised a bit from the floor, as an additional foot step. This will allow me easy access for cleaning with a vaccum aswell...cuz I like me drinks and chips. The only thing I wanted to be different than what I'll end up with is the keyboard mount. I wanted to do something cheap and easily movable upto the lap area. But, it looks like the mount I need will cost over $100.00, but it will tuck under the main display for ingress/egress. :cool:
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

New Photos Added!

Post by MMaggio »

Drinks & chips, huh? You better not load up too much "goodies" before you get in that thing as you may need help getting out!
"Just like the real pilots"!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Put a new photo of my display progress. I took a picture with out any tinting or light difusing to try and get a more brite image of how the displays will look. Everything is just loose...nothing tacked down yet. But gives an idea of the finished look.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

New Photos Added!

Post by Vice »

It's even fully illuminated? Wow! That's going to be awesome. Is the X52 mounted in trays ahead of each armrest or is that some kind of bracket to hold them in place also?
StarWraith 3D Games
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

The X52 controls are mounted using the holes built in to them and tilted at a slight angle for comfort. I upholstered around the back and sides as part of the armrests. The fronts have uphostered velcro flaps to allow access to cables just before the plexiglass starts. Once I have the upper frame done I'll also be installing an illuminated 'fan pod'. I used 2 x 3.5inch pc fans that will be directed directly tword the pilot. Between the two fans will be another illuminated display with working temp readout created from a cpu/harddrive temp display. :cool:

[Edited on 2-8-2009 by tk7223]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

New Photos Added!

Post by Vice »

Excellent, very professional :) Nice work!
StarWraith 3D Games
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

Thanks Vice..It's been a dream of mine for about 6 years. Ever since I went to the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas. Now it's finally coming together!
Winter Owl
Ensign
Ensign

New Photos Added!

Post by Winter Owl »

I am very impressed. Nice work. :)
Pay no attention to me!
I\'m just a weather balloon. And some swamp gas... uhh... refracted the light of Venus or something.
Yeah, that\'s it. Definitely not a spaceship, no sir.
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by Daedalao »

The more you complete this thing, the more I'm wanting to create my SA-43 Hammerhead cockpit... I may actually start next month... I just need to find the appropriate flight mechanism...
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

New Photos Added!

Post by tha_rami »

Uh, have you given any thought to how you get in that thing and of course, once in, how do you get out?
Out? If he has a chair that can be made into a bed and a fridge with drinks and chips in there, why would he ever want to get out?
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Photos Added!

Post by tk7223 »

If I could actually get it into space I wouldn't ;)