The best space themed science fiction movie ever?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by Ali Fish
ok my favourite ever epsiode of a space orientated scif series (TV) was some episode from star trek next generation. i havnt a clue what series number it was from. however...

it involved that dude from the A-team, "Murdoch" as some science officer abourd the enterprise.. the situation involved him being beamed by some light which in turn gave him information on creating technology to travel a very very far distance.

A-Team dude created this technology within the HOLO deck of the enterprise. and that was the amazing thing about this episode, Fantasy technology created in a holodeck linked the the physical ship through A-team dude. !!!! . a quick fold of space time and they were there. center of the universe ,so to speak to meet the people that beamed him with info light.

it was great because it was one episode that really stood out compared to the majority of STTNG..[Edited on 26-4-2009 by Ali Fish]
A quick thanks for this, I thought I'd seen every episode of TNG, but somehow I'd missed this, its episode 19 of series 4 and is titled The Nth Degree, and I'm just off to watch it now...
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by Marvin
Originally posted by Wasp89:
In another thread, Spelk kindly posted a link to an indy BSG game that is being devoloped: http://www.diaspora-game.com/
The head honcho for Diaspora is also helping with a very complicated Trek game based on ST Bridge Commander and a heavily modded version of Python. Between the two games, he should be busy for a very, very long time.
I love those guys,w/o money, they are working a lot...
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Thanks for the heads up!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Ali Fish
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ali Fish »

Originally posted by verbosity
Originally posted by Ali Fish
ok my favourite ever epsiode of a space orientated scif series (TV) was some episode from star trek next generation. i havnt a clue what series number it was from. however...

it involved that dude from the A-team, "Murdoch" as some science officer abourd the enterprise.. the situation involved him being beamed by some light which in turn gave him information on creating technology to travel a very very far distance.

A-Team dude created this technology within the HOLO deck of the enterprise. and that was the amazing thing about this episode, Fantasy technology created in a holodeck linked the the physical ship through A-team dude. !!!! . a quick fold of space time and they were there. center of the universe ,so to speak to meet the people that beamed him with info light.

it was great because it was one episode that really stood out compared to the majority of STTNG..[Edited on 26-4-2009 by Ali Fish]
A quick thanks for this, I thought I'd seen every episode of TNG, but somehow I'd missed this, its episode 19 of series 4 and is titled The Nth Degree, and I'm just off to watch it now...
:) let me knoiw what you thinkof the nth degree, thanks for alerting me to its name....
spelk
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by spelk »

Originally posted by verbosity
LINK TO THE DEMO HERE:
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/battle ... index.html
This is the same one that was released on Xbox Live Arcade some time ago. Its basically a 2d shooter, its not brilliant, but you know you can attack cylons. It has a flashy twist and turn move that looks nice, but also has the ability to put up a bubble shield on your viper which doesn't feel very BSG.
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

There is no significant sim game about BSG indeed!
So amazing!!!
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I believe you are wrong Warsign.
There was/is a version built on the Freespace engine by, "Beyond the Red Line"!
I used to have the URL but I can't seem to find it. I'm sure one of our members may still have it. I know Vice has it. He has everything!!:)
warsign
Captain
Captain

Post by warsign »

Originally posted by MMaggio
I believe you are wrong Warsign.
There was/is a version built on the Freespace engine by, "Beyond the Red Line"!
I used to have the URL but I can't seem to find it. I'm sure one of our members may still have it. I know Vice has it. He has everything!!:)
Oh, I know "beyond the red line".

I mean commercial game my friend, beyond the red line is still in demo mode imho and free. And same feeling with FS2...

http://www.beyondtheredline.net/demospecs.html

[Edited on 4-30-2009 by warsign]
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I mean commercial game my friend, beyond the red line is still in demo mode imho and free. And same feeling with FS2...

http://www.beyondtheredline.net/demospecs.html

[Edited on 4-30-2009 by warsign] [/quote]

Are you referring to "FreeSpace 2"?
I am confused. What are you trying to say? FS2 is a complete finished game.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I think he means that it feels very similar to FS2 since it's based on that game. BTRL is a 'mod' of FreeSpace 2, so it plays and feels very much like the same game.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Daedalao »

falling behind on the actual topic... however, Sunshine is pretty good until the last 20 minutes and it turns into Event Horizon. Gives a real feeling of desperation.

I'd actually have to say that as far as science fiction goes, star wars is pretty much out of the category and belongs in fantasy. So that leaves Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. It's subject matter is pretty awesome, misdirected revenge, the ship to ship combat. One of the best ship to ship combat lines and something to keep in mind, "He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

[Edited on 4-30-2009 by Daedalao]
matthewfarmery
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by matthewfarmery »

it is a good fild is WOK, even for a none trek fan, it is awesome, one of the few mistakes is when Kirk commands the enterprise to do down the Z axis, it should have been the Y axis, (correct me if Im wrong there?) as for me, WOK, alien and aliens,
4ad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 4ad »

From series "into the fire" episode from Babylon 5 *yeah it is my favourite series* when the big war is over, there are others as well but this concludes half of the main story.

From the movies "event horizon" was mostly a splatter and "2001" was uber boring , so my vote goes to the pilot movie (if it counts as a movie) of Serenity/Firefly

Seriously BSG (i have seen all episodes) was mostly a social / political drama with a bit of sci-fi and most of the times i failed to understand actions and motivations , maybe this is due to the cultural gap between Europe and USA.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yes, to understand the motivation in BSG, you have to understand the American culture, As a Dutch living in the USA for almost 20 years I still some times do not get it!LOL:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Originally posted by 4ad: Seriously BSG (i have seen all episodes) was mostly a social / political drama with a bit of sci-fi and most of the times i failed to understand actions and motivations , maybe this is due to the cultural gap between Europe and USA.
Even within the US, there's a cultural gap. So it doesn't surprise me to see a program like BSG ... with it's concept of a military structure that, in reality, would've meant Galactica's defeat somewhere around the middle of episode one.

:cool: Be that as it may, my vote for the best anthology series would be: (the original) Twilight Zone.
Daedalao
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Daedalao »

Space: Above and Beyond - The Angriest Angel

That is by far my favorite fight scene, because I use McQueens combat pattern from this fight... and mainly just because of the words Col. T.C. McQueen says to the chaplain.

Priest: Colonel. Colonel! Colonel McQueen! Do you need to make peace with your maker.
Lt. Col. Tyrus Cassius "TC" McQueen: My maker was some geek in a lab coat with an eyedropper and a petri dish. What do I need to make peace with him for?
Priest: In times of war we must all make peace with our maker.
Lt. Col. Tyrus Cassius "TC" McQueen: Well, I don't think our maker wants to hear from me right now. Because he knows I'm going to go out in this plane and I'm going to remove one of His creations from His universe. And when I get back, I'm going to drink a bottle of scotch as if it was Chiggy Von Richtofen's blood and celebrate his death.
Priest: Amen.
GAlex
Ensign
Ensign

Post by GAlex »

Hi to all,

loved BSG, made me laugh so many times:D!

2001 is OT, since it's not a sci-fi space journey, it's an allegory, a psychedelic, introspective, trip inside human nature and mind, from our birth to our death, to a rebirth. never found anything sci-fi there.

my vote goes to "mars: attack!": ever loved the little green homunculi enjoing blastering everything (...ing)
- \"Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas\" (Virgilio)
4ad
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 4ad »

Originally posted by Marvin
Even within the US, there's a cultural gap. So it doesn't surprise me to see a program like BSG ... with it's concept of a military structure that, in reality, would've meant Galactica's defeat somewhere around the middle of episode one.

:cool: Be that as it may, my vote for the best anthology series would be: (the original) Twilight Zone.
Man , i mean come on , when there are 3 billion chicks around and you are a successful guy living in a cosy villa you simply do not sacrifice everything for a woman .
When you are hunted down like an animal and face extinction political tricks and power games are out of place, what to do with the throne if there is no tomorrow?
When you have the chance to annihilate those who hunt you using a virus you go out and do it .
I could go on :P

No offence but if this reflects the American psych either they will fail to see the next millennium as Americans or i am just too European to understand .
Karmasaur
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Karmasaur »

It was generations before its time. If it came out today, it would still rock. I dont agree with Galex, two posts up, that the birth, death, rebirth themes are out of the parameters of science fiction. At least not as they are presented in that movie. It brings evolution to a stellar scale, and takes humanity with it.

-K
Karmasaur
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Karmasaur »

If we are talking series:

Ive purchased Babylon 5 series, pilot, and films in entirety, because I like the story. The author of the series purportedly wrote the manuscript for every episode, every season, before they started filming. The coherency is noteable, and the complex relationships between the characters is well written. Im not sure I even would have liked the series more, if they had had access to a proper budget. The low budget brought a kind of intimacy, (sort of like the difference between a stage play and a movie) to the series.
The following spin off about the Rangers got cancelled, and rightfully so. Higher budget, and a crap manuscript.

I also bought all of the Battlestar Galactica stuff. Reasonably well written, but not genius. The story itself on the otherhand is quite interesting, and the "polish" is good. They give a good immersion.

I have a friend that bought all of the Star Trek stuff that is available. Over 500 episodes, films and whatnot. I like the Star Trek universe, but investing in it is kind of like buying your first bag of crack. Before you are done, you are broke. Also, ST has always, from day one, had an annoying habit of using the "god in the machine" to resolve an inordinant amount of plot quandries. Rough guess is about a third of the episodes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina
"If we recalibrate the doobrey switch, and boost the hyper anamometers, we can devise a spixii obscurus ray that will negate the effects of the anti-perinidood radiation". Or Q snaps his fingers, or an asteroids gravity field slings them into a course out of danger, and so on.
-Two reasons I will never invest in ST, in spite of the fact that I still watch it, anytime its airing. *sigh*
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

[quote]Originally posted by Karmasaur
If we are talking series:

Ive purchased Babylon 5 series, pilot, and films in entirety, because I like the story. The author of the series purportedly wrote the manuscript for every episode, every season, before they started filming. The coherency is noteable, and the complex relationships between the characters is well written. Im not sure I even would have liked the series more, if they had had access to a proper budget. The low budget brought a kind of intimacy, (sort of like the difference between a stage play and a movie) to the series.

Well if you like Babylon 5 and low budget,
you're gonna' love visiting Babylon 5 in MP!

]
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Oh, by the way, I also really liked the latest Star Trek. A lot.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Koranis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Koranis »

Alien.

It's the movie that changed the sci-fi, it created a sub-genre within a genre. Before we only had a "clean" sci-fi (2001) and "fantasy" sci-fi (Star Wars). It expanded the concept of being trapped in the void, months of travel from home, like 2001, but mixed it with terror and desperation.

"How long to Earth?". "Ten months". I can remember that "Ten months" sentence made me feel even worse for the members of the Nostromo and increased the sense of danger.

Sunshine.

It was a revelation for me. I didn't expect much from it, maybe that's why it got me. A great movie, good direction, the screenplay makes just a single misstep towards the end, but for the rest it's a ride on a roller-coaster. Great acting.
It also shows you all the dangers coming from the fact that you're in space, practically it shows that there are many, many ways to die in the cold vacuum. It has a more realistic approach on it than Alien, it concetrates more on the space travel. So if you're not a hyperspace fan, you should like it.

On a final note: Star Wars was great, I mean the old 3 episodes. The 3 new ones ruined everything for me. Lucas should have limited himslef to merchandising, marketing and concepts. Not giving another failed shot at directing.

[Edited on 7-3-2009 by Koranis]
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I liked "Aliens" better. first time a sequal was better than the original! Imho.
Never saw "Sunshine", but you have piqued my interest, I hope I can find it and the rental store.
In some ways, I share your feelings about the first 3 Star Wars. I think it's mostly subjective.
Anyway, should be more of the same genre.
Koranis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Koranis »

Originally posted by MMaggio
I liked "Aliens" better. first time a sequal was better than the original! Imho.
Yeah, I was tempted to write about Aliens, since I like it more than Alien as well.

But then I thought that there was not much of "space" itself in it, not as a key element at least, like in Alien or Sunshine, not even a background. Mostly, you had a desolate planet where the characters had to isolate themselves since there was no escape.