The best space themed science fiction movie ever?

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Post by verbosity »

Originally posted by Bjornson
I'm also a fan of Firefly and Serenity, loved the characters. Probably the best series no one ever saw.
I Saw it !!!!!

on a related note ( part of Verbs spot what the characters from other shows are doing now thread)

two Actors from Firefly are currently starring in sci-fi series-

1. The engineer from firefly is now the doctor in stargate atlantis
and
2. Mad-psychic-combat-ninja type girl is now in the terminator series (not giving anything away though.)

as a seperate note I enjoyed Farscape till it was cancelled, but both the lead actors from that are in Stargate SG-1, and both Daniel Jackson and Teal'c have appeared in Andromeda. I'll avoid mentioning Star-trek since they re-use actors so often it would just get confusing. just like Yoda and Vader being in
soul caliber 4.

Not that I'm some sort of geek who avidly follows pretty much every sci-fi show I can get my hands on ( oh no....)
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Yeah, really, that's absurd. Yoda and Darth Vader in SC4 is like having Super Mario in Evochron Renegades: WTF.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Haha. Go see the movie. It has some absurdities, but honestly, it's a good show about 'Apollo 13' like situations in the extreme.
Yeah, that's what it kind of reminded me of, some kind of disaster movie set in space.

[Edited on 1-15-2008 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
RobotB9
Ensign
Ensign

Post by RobotB9 »

for me there are a many good space movies like star wars, The Terminator (first), Alien, earth vs. the flying saucers, Blade Runner (ok not a space game but good sci-fi), Battle Beyond the Stars, Enemy Mine, Serenity and so many others that i couldn´t remenber now....

But for Tv series i like Lost in Space, Babylon V, Star Trek, Space Above and Beyond, Stargate, BSG and my favorite Starship troopers - The Rougnecks (3d animation)

probaly i´m forgot many others...but this are fresh im my memory.
Danger, danger Will Robinson!!!
Spartan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spartan »

specifically space themed i'd go for Firefly or Serenity movie

but does Bladerunner count - gotta be the best movie ever - period (as the US of States folks say).... the replicants came form space, just off the shoulder of Orion!!;)
My children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is Spartan law. And by Spartan law we will stand and fight!
Siege
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Siege »

Space Balls? :P
[align=center]Lucifael.com[/align]
Tuco
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tuco »

2001 gets my vote simply because in all the space sequences Kubrick understood enough about space to have them be silent. No sound in a vacuum. it added total realism/scientific accuracy. that technical feature alone made me feel how vast, dark, and awesome space is.

While some of the other movies mentioned here are on my favs list, hearing lasers and explosions in space is scientifically wrong, and thus takes away from the effect.

I'd add to the list, the black hole only for the cool black hole panoramic special effects. totally campy otherwise.

Best space battles go to ST 2: wrath of Khan and ST 6: undiscovered country
Duckmurderer
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Duckmurderer »

Too bad 2001 is as long as the time it takes to get from earth to jupiter with conventional technology. Good movie, but firefly/serenity gets my vote. (I have the collector's edition of firefly on my desk. In fact, I'm looking at it now.)
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Pariah »

Firefly/Serenity is my vote as well though I have a special place in my heart for the Alien films. The 3rd and 4th movies were a little weak but I really enjoyed the first 2 films.

On a strange side note has anyone here seen The Fountain? I'm a huge fan of the director and although it isn't a "space" film in the traditional sense I think it's a great piece of art.
Majorhazzard
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Majorhazzard »

I know this is a bit on the late side here but hey i'm new and only just catchin up in here :P

So my fav has to be Stargate the movie as the premis for the movie could be very real and as the film is based around a real human history although no space battles where in the movie it still did obviously have a Sci-Fi theme...
Antec 900 CASE x4 120mm fans x1 200mm fan
Audigy 2ZS
Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 6 gig
i7 920 @ 4040mhz
EVGA X58 tri sli
EVGA 285 GTX
Thermaltake toughpower 750W Modular
Noctua cpu cooler

www.usualsuspectsclan.com
Spartan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spartan »

definatley Serenity and Firefly ..... got to be the best in recent times, before that Star Wars the original trilogy, quite liked the first 2 alien films and Silent Running from the 70's ... might also strech to Pitch Black ... and if ever 'Evochron Renegades - The Movie' is released can i be in it!!
:P
My children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is Spartan law. And by Spartan law we will stand and fight!
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Oooh! There's a thought!:);
EVOCHRON RENEGADES the MOVIE
What a brilliant concept.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Skiiwa
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skiiwa »

Serenity!!! That movie was just done right. Good Characters, Great spaceship, Great humore, Tradgey, swordfighting, horseback riding, etc, etc :P

The TV series is great to. I really liked the episode called "Trash" or taking out the trash. Cant remember the exact name.
Skiiwa
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skiiwa »

Spartan<<Can I be your Sidekick in the ER Movie?:P

Didnt read all the post's and noticed Im not the only One who likes Serenity:cool:
Spartan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spartan »

Hey Skiiwa

the Firefly episode was 'Trash' and a good one it was too

if they ever make a movie i am sure we'll all be in it - but i want all the best lines :P

maybe the fan base needs to make one like the 'the emporers new clothes' film that was done as a spoof of Star Wars - anyone seen it?
Zach
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Zach »

Hmm... I dunno.. I really like the new BSG.. But as far as movies go, I am always a little partial to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

It has a little bit of everything in it.. I also like the idea of big ships slugging it out.. Though BSG does a good job of mixing it in with the smaller craft too, as does Star Wars.
Straker Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Straker Nova »

Wow, how coincidental is this? My youngest son and I just introduced my wife last week to season 2.0 and 2.5 of BSG and she's hooked ... and she doesnt even like sci-fi! Best episode IMO ... "Scar" ....

Movie ... hmmm, tough one .... I know these aren't really space-oriented, but "Contact" with Jodie Foster and "Treasure Planet" .... I'm not sure if I could even narrow it down to just one .... nope, nigh impossible.

Straker
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

'Scar' is probably my favorite episode also, a great take on a space combat idea with good story telling and effects.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Straker Nova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Straker Nova »

Love the freakin' fast flyin' asteroid belt, not to mention the Vipers and Raiders maneuvers ... disk 3 of 2.5 will be watched tonight after practice :)
Zach
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Zach »

My mom watches BSG with me.. My bro got into it later..

I don't know which is my fav episode, as most have a couple scenese I like..

I definitely like the opening for season 3.. It was one of the best things ever and seeing a BattleStar jump into the atmosphere and get so burned up, then the battle when Pegasys was destroyed was just awesome. The ground and fighter action was great too.

I wish they had kept the Pegasys around tho

[Edited on 4-3-2008 by Zach]
Zenith
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zenith »

Hard choice, so many, but I'm going to go with Star Wars on this occasion. It's a classic and has spawned so many games and books, definitely a particular favourite of mine.
Victor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victor »

Galaxy Quest!

Ok, maybe not. If I had to pick one above all others... it's tough, I guess I'd have to say Aliens. The first Alien was good but I like the setting of the second much better.
Skiiwa
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skiiwa »

The battlestar entering the atmosphere is a great scene! I like BSG, but sometimes its soap-opera-ish atmo gets annoying. I've always had a thing for them viper fighters. I liked Buck Rogers ship better though. seemed that it would work better as a spacecraft. My fav ships Ever are the Millinium Falcon, FireFly and the Starblazers, Yamato!
Gibbon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gibbon »

TV show wise it has to be BSG, just rocks my world. Filmwise i also like 'Forbidden Planet', way ahead of it's time. Worst film, without doubt 'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians'. Utter dross but strangely watchable.

If you think i'm tugging your thrusters, here's a link
http://www.badmovieplanet.com/3btheater ... tians.html

[Edited on 4-6-2008 by Gibbon]
Le Sauvage
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Le Sauvage »

"The Day The Earth Stood Still" had a huge impact on me as a young teenager. Quite possibly the first anti Cold War/A Bomb movie ever made.