A newbie with quite a few questions

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Wolfox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wolfox »

Hi,

I'm playing Arvoch Conflict and I'm really impressed by the game. I'll probably buy it, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask first:

1) is there a way to bind the padlock toggle (ALT-V) to a joystick button? (that would be really useful for HOTAS users without the benefit of TrackIR)

2) is there a way to have smooth panning in the 3D cockpit using the hat switch, instead of the fixed views as it is now? (same motive as in the first question)

3) How difficult would it be for the game to produce a "log" of a played campaign mission - one that could later be used by an external application to automatically generate the next mission, thus enabling a "dynamic campaign"?

(note: though the application mentioned on item 3 may not exist, I might think about coding it if the log is viable, hehehehe)

Anyway, thanks in advance,

Roberto
Vote Vice for president of the 12 colonies!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Hello and welcome,
1) is there a way to bind the padlock toggle (ALT-V) to a joystick button? (that would be really useful for HOTAS users without the benefit of TrackIR)
Many controllers include game profiling (such as Saitek) and you can map the ALT key to a toggle switch or other button. Example: on the X52, the throttle thumb button on the lower rotary dial works well for this and other functions that use the ALT key. Then just map the view control key to the button of your choice. If you don't want to use a combination like that, I think the profiling software also lets you map multiple keys to a single button, but I haven't tried that yet.
2) is there a way to have smooth panning in the 3D cockpit using the hat switch, instead of the fixed views as it is now? (same motive as in the first question)
Yes, click on the Joystick HAT selection in the Options menu until it reads 'Pan'. You'll then control the pilot's first person viewpoint using panning directional control with the HAT rather than the fixed system.
3) How difficult would it be for the game to produce a "log" of a played campaign mission - one that could later be used by an external application to automatically generate the next mission, thus enabling a "dynamic campaign"?
Not too difficult. I can help with exporting player progress data to a text file if it's something you want to explore later on.

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Wolfox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wolfox »

Originally posted by Vice
Hello and welcome,
Thanks! It's nice to talk to the developer itself for a change... great support like this is hard to find. ;-)
Many controllers include game profiling (such as Saitek) and you can map the ALT key to a toggle switch or other button. Example: on the X52, the throttle thumb button on the lower rotary dial works well for this and other functions that use the ALT key. Then just map the view control key to the button of your choice. If you don't want to use a combination like that, I think the profiling software also lets you map multiple keys to a single button, but I haven't tried that yet.
Yes, as I clicked on "Post Topic" I remembered that possibility. The problem is that my Saitek Cyborg Evo isn't working anymore, and I'm using an old MS Sidewinder 3D Pro with no programming software - at least until I manage to buy a Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner FF later this year, so I don't have, right now, the option to program any keys or key combinations for my joystick. Anyway, it should be solved soon, so thanks for the tip.
Yes, click on the Joystick HAT selection in the Options menu until it reads 'Pan'. You'll then control the pilot's first person viewpoint using panning directional control with the HAT rather than the fixed system.
Thanks, I haven't noticed that. BTW, is there a key to "reset" the view to the front view after panning? And a "front snapshot view" key, that can be pressed to look to the HUD when needed, coming back to the panned view (or padlock) when the key is released?
Not too difficult. I can help with exporting player progress data to a text file if it's something you want to explore later on.
That's great, thanks a lot. I'll "bake" the idea a little longer (while I play the game as-is, hehehe) and I'll let you know later.

Thanks again.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks, I haven't noticed that. BTW, is there a key to "reset" the view to the front view after panning? And a "front snapshot view" key, that can be pressed to look to the HUD when needed, coming back to the panned view (or padlock) when the key is released?
You can use the ALT-V key option twice to center the view. The view control will also auto-center itself if you pan it back to the middle. There isn't an option to suspend panning temporarily, but you can shift focus from panning to target with padlock.
StarWraith 3D Games
Wolfox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wolfox »

Hi, just wanted to say that I've already bought the game. I loved the demo (while it lasted), and just had to buy the full game. Great game indeed.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Excellent, I'm glad you enjoy the game and thanks.
StarWraith 3D Games