Padlock view preview video...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Here's a quick video show the new padlock view option (there is also a new panning view control you can manage manually with the joystick HAT).

This mode lets you continue looking at your target directly as you maneuver your ship. The padlock mode will help you center your view if you bring the target close to the center of your gunsight. Some players will likely want to use the padlock mode all the time while others may want to use it occasionally.

How is this different from other padlock options in other games? This mode is designed to emulate the movement of the pilot's head with realistically limited rotation, smooth object tracking, and appropriate viewing range. If you lose site of the object you are watching beyond about 180 degrees of viewing range or too far beyond the range the pilot can turn their head, it may take a while before you regain your view of the target (you can, of course, recenter the view to keep searching for the target while looking straight ahead). The pilot's head can rotate about 90 degrees to the left or right, about 45 degrees up and a few degrees down. Instead of harshly locking on the object, the view pans about as quickly as the pilot's head could realistically keep track of a target.

You can see this mode in action with the video I just uploaded to YouTube at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQ1X_i6j8U

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Pariah »

That's so cool :) Really heightens the "in the cockpit" immersion level.
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Hey, that's kind of a cool idea, you know. I second Pariah.

Watch with taking that camera down. The 3D model isn't so immersive there at all ;).

It looks beautiful. Looks like great fun :).

[Edited on 12-10-06 by tha_rami]
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

A higher quality version is now available in the downloads section at http://www.starwraith.com/arvoch/downloads.htm
StarWraith 3D Games
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Pariah »

That's fantastic. The higher quality version does it much better justice with the glass reflections popping out more. Next I'd like to be able to occasionally spill hot coffee in my lap during a dogfight to really effectively emulate my real life :D.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Hehe, the F228D should come with an optional cup holder and thermos.
StarWraith 3D Games
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Post by tha_rami »

Why dont we add BANANA too? Basic and Newbie Advanced Navigation Activator, which makes the system map show the ideal jump location for reaching the planet/system... or APPLES - Advanced Power Plugin for Low Energy Ships?
Or ICECUBE - Integrated Compression Engine for Crafts using Blast Engines make ships faster or less fuelconsuming?
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news