Storyline

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.

Storyline

Total votes: 0

Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Storyline

Post by Nemesis »

While "Arvoch Conflict" is technically the greatest space-sim I've ever played I miss one thing that I liked in "Wing Commander"...no, no, not the movie sequences. Yes, they were great, but they unfortunately ruined Origin...what I meant was the storyline. While you have to succeed in every mission in "Star Wraith" to go on, the success or failure decided about the continuation of the storyline in "Wing Commander". What do you think about such a concept in a future "Star Wraith"?
There will come a day, when those, who are Vonari, strengthen their claws to join the hunt.
We are Vonari. Ours is the prey, ours is the honor.
Our enemies shall shiver at the sound of our voice, when we take revenge on those who tried to crush us at the dawn of our race.
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Storyline

Post by Vice »

Dynamic campaigns were used in Star Wraith (3): Shadows of Orion. I like the approach of mission selection and performance determining the future path of gameplay, many like long linear campaigns, and many others like both. Because of the ability to edit mission data in AC, it might be possible to create some kind of dynamic mission system where the player's results from the current mission alter the next, perhaps even changing the objective of the next entirely. It is something I've been thinking about and may try a few ideas in a future project or perhaps an update to AC.

Glad you like the game :)

[Edited on 10-5-2006 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Storyline

Post by tha_rami »

Would be cool in AC.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Storyline

Post by Nemesis »

I am happy that you like the idea. As a matter of fact, I also solved "Shadows of Orion" but I don´t remember. I bought it the same time I bought "Reviction" and I prefered the latter. A possibility to build a story with alternative missions would be really cool. It would motivate me to create a "Vonari-only"-campaign for I don´t like to battle humans...forced replay is the reason why I never made my own campaign.
There will come a day, when those, who are Vonari, strengthen their claws to join the hunt.
Our enemies shall shiver at the sound of our voice, when we take revenge on those who tried to crush us at the dawn of our race.
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Storyline

Post by tha_rami »

Well, you know, actually what I'd like to see?

You know a game by the name of Deus Ex? The game story-line had a simple idea. You had a main story line which you HAD to complete, followed by a point where the story split up in three possibilities - you took a path depending on your succes in side-missions, faction missions ect. Just the main story was the same, the ending and stuff were different.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

Storyline

Post by verbosity »

kinda like Abe's odessey??

story ran through but if you didn't save enough mates they let you fry at the end......

(made the begining of the second one even funnier as it had 2 starts...)
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Storyline

Post by Jeremy »

How would it go?

Possibility 1:
If you fail a mission, you have the option of restarting, or going to the next mission in event of a failure.
Possibility 2:
You better be ready for the mission, because you only get one chance to do it, else it goes to the next one in case of a failure.
Jande
Ensign
Ensign

Storyline

Post by Jande »

Originally posted by Jeremy
How would it go?

Possibility 1:
If you fail a mission, you have the option of restarting, or going to the next mission in event of a failure.
Possibility 2:
You better be ready for the mission, because you only get one chance to do it, else it goes to the next one in case of a failure.
Could have both options. Use a slider for Easy<=======[]=======>Hard and put the Poss 1 on the easy end and Poss 2 on the Hard end.

Since I'm a wuss I'd take the Easy option. :P
~ Jande
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

Storyline

Post by tha_rami »

Possibility 1: If you fail a mission, you can restart or go to the next mission.
Possibility 2: Failing a mission (unless you die) means that the result will affect the game. For example, not saving a certain carrier will result in an important backup not arriving in a later mission.
Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Storyline

Post by Nemesis »

I prefer the first way: Decide upon replay or go on...

This doesn't mean...

...failure in one mission always affects the storyline.

...there are no missions you'll have to win to go on (maybe if you have to protect your carrier or destroy a weapon that could wipe out earth or its population).
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-