How Good is this game

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
verbosity
Captain
Captain

How Good is this game

Post by verbosity »

Ok an un-biased opinion....

Not!!!!
this is awsome!!!

Anyone says different better expect several Ft's in their direction
verbsleagues.co.uk sw3dg web stats systems
uaithne.com eco-living project
rulerofzu.com free fantasy mmorpg
jesterscup.com webby stuffies
verbosity
Captain
Captain

How Good is this game

Post by verbosity »

Thats it someone only choose utterly great.
who was? it own up and I might make it quick.....
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How Good is this game

Post by Jeremy »

You said not to choose awesome...
verbosity
Captain
Captain

How Good is this game

Post by verbosity »

no i said ONLY choose awsome - look at the exclamtion marks
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How Good is this game

Post by Jeremy »

...oops :P (Ducks Ft's heading in his direction)

Well it is awesome, and utterly great, and pretty good, and I want people to come around and knock some sense into you. :D

Jeremy
verbosity
Captain
Captain

How Good is this game

Post by verbosity »

yeah me too but they are all too scared.......

might be the psych reports i pin up on the walls....

or the fact i play achey breaky heart constantly....

or possibly the police cordon, I'm not sure
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

How Good is this game

Post by tha_rami »

I don't think it's the best space sim ever - but it certainly gets close. I personally prefer a mix of strategy and trading in a space sim. But for this genre of space sims, the combat, it's definetly in the top!

Actually, it's just awesome. Lol.
tha_rami - The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Vlambeer - Dutch indie game studio
Twitter - Weird news, life updates & game-related news
verbosity
Captain
Captain

How Good is this game

Post by verbosity »

I hate to say it but i agree with rami- Evo is top notch

I love this game too though -the pace is fantastic, and although the feel of the ships is different i love it just as much

mind you evo has more potential - imagine, clans factions politics (ie you like pices sapphire dosent like you any more etc)

but i dont care Arvoch Rocks, the graphics balenced with good gameplay for $20 i know loads of games that i wouldn't poo on for that price
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

How Good is this game

Post by Pariah »

I personally prefer a mix of strategy and trading in a space sim.
Yes exactly. I purchased Arvoch tonight and I'm loving the demo so far but I do think that Evo is more my speed. In fact, I really became interested in this community because of Evo. It has such a nice well rounded approach to gameplay. I'd love to see the graphical improvements and accomplishments present in Arvoch in a future installment of Evo.

Vice, the planetary transition is stunning. Excellent work. The planets feel much bigger and when you achieve entry and get near the planets surface the "ceiling" effect of the sky is very satisfying. Also, the planetary textures are greatly improved. I can sense a little bit of what I would call "matrix stutter" (for lack of a better term) on the planets surface but overall the effect is very smooth. Perhaps this is a peculiarity of my set-up also.

I'm more of a "space sim" fan than a "space combat sim" fan but this is a great game and my personal tastes certainly don't detract from its excellence. This game is really an impressive step forward for the Starwraith 3D catalog.

Very nice work :).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

How Good is this game

Post by Vice »

It's my hope to take the EA concept further, including many of the graphics enhancements you see in AC.

Glad you like the game. The planet mesh system is very system speed dependent. The faster your system, the less stutter you'll see. Anything above 2.2 GHz with a solid 3D card should see a very smooth transition. I originally intended to include more surface details, but the average system isn't quite there to provide the performance needed (framerates dropped quite a bit). But it's something I'd like to do in the future.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

How Good is this game

Post by Pariah »

It's my hope to take the EA concept further, including many of the graphics enhancements you see in AC.

Something to look forward to :).

I am running a 2.8 processor with 1 gig of RAM and an ATI X700 Pro 256 Mb card. I can see a touch of the mesh stutter but I am looking with a super critical eye. All in all the movement is very crisp and pleasant.

To get back on topic, Arvoch is a great game! ;)
Nemesis
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

How Good is this game

Post by Nemesis »

I don't want to attack anyone, but I also want to utter my opinion, even though it's contrary to the most here: I was desperately waiting for another game like "Reviction". As an old WC-veteran and pilot of the Empire (TIE-Fighter), I prefer to fly with my loyalties clearly marked and, most important, my ship paid by someone else (e. g. The Empire, the Terran Confederation or the Alliance). It's best, if I can enter combat without wasting a thought like: "Can I afford new missiles after this mission?" or "What will the repairs cost, if I clash my enemy into debris?" (the last one was a great tactic in TIE-Fighter, when you had a ship with shields and your enemy did not...just don't care about the damage to your fighter.

So: AC is the best space-sim ever...at least for me!

[Bearbeitet am 8-10-2006 von Nemesis]
There will come a day, when those, who are Vonari, strengthen their claws to join the hunt.
We are Vonari. Ours is the prey, ours is the honor.
Our enemies shall shiver at the sound of our voice, when we take revenge on those who tried to crush us at the dawn of our race.
-Vonarian Warrior-Oath-
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

How Good is this game

Post by tha_rami »

Attack anyone? You wouldn't be able to do that on these forums by just giving an opinion - your opinion is yours, and if you feel combat is more important and should be the focus of space simulation - then that's what you feel.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

How Good is this game

Post by Vice »

Nemesis, your comments echo what I have been receiving over the past several years. While a lot of players prefer the trading concept, an equally large group prefer the AC/SW style approach to gameplay without worrying about money, exploration, and limited resources... they prefer to jump right in and complete objectives in a military type role. Some players enjoy both. You don't hear from many of the fans of the combat/military/strategy concepts on these forums as they seem to be less interested in group discussions like this. Many of them dialogue with me personally in e-mail. But they also submit requests, feedback, and suggestions to me for the games they want to see (and a new version of SW4: Reviction was right at the top of that list along with their input on features and changes they wanted to see in such a game). So even though you may not see them voting or participating in the discussions on this forum, I assure you, you're gameplay preferences are just as popular. The challenge for me is to keep both concepts alive and advancing :)
StarWraith 3D Games
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

How Good is this game

Post by Pariah »

The challenge for me is to keep both concepts alive and advancing
Would be interesting to see if it would be possible to bring the two concepts together so that the need to walk the line becomes moot.
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How Good is this game

Post by Jeremy »

I suppose adding the SW style onto the EA concept wouldn't be that difficult. Multiplayer would probably be way out of the question though.

You simply:
Have the option of getting hired by the Alliance, Federation, or a Clan at the start of the game and it pays all your bills, fuel costs, fines, missiles, cannons, etc.

So - Example if you are hired by the Federation.
Systems 15 to 20 will act like you own a total license, ie everything is free including fuel and ships.
Alliance and Clan systems will be hostile or yellow2 to you, and you cannot dock and buy anything at them.

Contracts would be normal plus span multiple systems, such as recon on enemy systems, attacking enemy systems, resupplying ships in enemy systems, etc.

You could possibly have the option of leaving your chosen faction at any time and either becoming a regular merc or joining another faction.

Could be quite fun. :thumbsup:

Jeremy
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

How Good is this game

Post by tha_rami »

Lol, thats in my long post too... I was indeed describing a mix of SW, Evo:A and RiftSpace at the time, with what I saw in Arvoch, I think it should be possible in terms of squadrons ect.

My idea was four sectors (Sol, Orion, EvoChron and RiftSpace), each split up in 5 rings containing systems. Travelling between these systems could be done by interplanetary highways called Fulcrum Gates, a Fulcrum drive or wormholes. Travelling between sectors is done with wormholes or carriers. This way you can contain the player in certain sectors until he completes enough of the story, if needed.

The core ring would be mostly empty but used by pirates or for exploration. These systems are too near to the sun to have much life on them, but the sun causes reactions on the planets that create valuable stuff or something. These are usually Clan/Neutral systems.

The primary ring would be dense, including many green planets. This would be the current systems 1-10. Alliance or Federation rule most systems here.

The secondary ring would be less dense, including mostly yellow/neutral systems and Alliance/Federation systems. Currently 10-15.

The third ring would be even less dense, but includes hidden bases, red systems, more cannisters and stuff. Alliance and Federation have several systems, but their reach is limited here. Currently 15-20.

The outer ring would contain a lot of secrets and piracy again. Environments would be nebulae here, so in fact, this is what now is system 20-30.

Every system would have an allegiance to either Alliance, Federation, Clan or none, and your progress and choices affect your reputation at the factions. Systems would've their own thoughts about you as well, so you'd have to watch where you go and who you help.

I have a lot of ideas on carrier interface and control. Squadron control is possible already, so a bit more sophisticated system and you'd have a semi-RTS.

[Edited on 9-10-06 by tha_rami]
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How Good is this game

Post by Jeremy »

T'was nice knowing you Rami...
tha_rami
Commander
Commander

How Good is this game

Post by tha_rami »

Same, but why wouldn't you know me any longer after this?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

How Good is this game

Post by Vice »

Would be interesting to see if it would be possible to bring the two concepts together so that the need to walk the line becomes moot.
That's the tricky part. When you try to blend gameplay elements, you often introduce requirements (or at least required gameplay pathways/actions) that one or the other group of players wants to avoid. You'd have to structure it in a way so that SW/AC players could jump in without being required to perform the activities they don't like (such as travel, exploration, dealing with money, managing resources, financially earning upgrades, repairs, etc.). I have received very few requests for a merged game concept like that, most players seem to prefer one approach or the other. But for the players that do enjoy both (and I am one of them), I did develop both game concepts in their individual forms (with the fairly well balanced multiplayer capabilities Jeremy refers to).
StarWraith 3D Games
Pariah
Ensign
Ensign

How Good is this game

Post by Pariah »

I see how you mean.

I am curious about how the SW3D path has evolved. You started with the actual Starwraith games and as time has progressed you've introduced the other titles like Riftspace, Evo, Arvoch. Storywise all of these games gel and relate but gameplay wise you have experimented with different space sim game mechanics. You've covered first person combat, squad combat, and trader/mining styles. It seems only a hardened RTS set in the SW universe is missing.

My question is, did you set out to try to cover the various styles of play which resulted in a number of titles, or has it been more of a great controlled experiment where you are observing the outcome to help chart a future path? Is it your intention to continue developing all of these lines, or will you rein the dev in a little and focus on the two most popular genres discussed above? I realize that you probably have no intention of revealing you're entire business and intellectual property model here, I'm just interested in what you're observations have been.

I'd imagine that it's fun to add new intellectual properties to the worlds you have created. This can also pose a challenge though as it seems a little easier to only have a couple of core concepts on the boards that you can just keep refining to perfection (and also grow a little bored with maybe :)).

And to Nemesis, I think you're comments are great and as Vice said probably represent a large number of players. I am a trader sim fan myself but I welcome any new space sim to the genre whether it be combat oriented, trade oriented, RTS, 2D, 3D, etc. etc.. The more the merrier :).

[Edited on 10-9-2006 by Pariah]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

How Good is this game

Post by Vice »

My question is, did you set out to try to cover the various styles of play which resulted in a number of titles, or has it been more of a great controlled experiment where you are observing the outcome to help chart a future path? Is it your intention to continue developing all of these lines, or will you rein the dev in a little and focus on the two most popular genres discussed above?
It initially started out as making a game I enjoyed playing, something I wanted to make since about 10 years before. From there, I listened to feedback and accomodated the requests and suggestions I received by developing new and different games. I outlined some of this in an interview with SGN recently: http://www.stargamer.net/interviews/200 ... 826211.php

I hope to continue enhancing and changing my games based on player feedback. And that could mean staying pretty much the same with mostly feature additions, or major changes in gameplay such as what happened with RS to Evochron and Star Wraith to Arvoch Conflict.
It seems only a hardened RTS set in the SW universe is missing.
That is actually a direction I have considered and may develop a concept in the near future.
StarWraith 3D Games
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How Good is this game

Post by Jeremy »

Originally posted by tha_rami
Same, but why wouldn't you know me any longer after this?
You posted part of the SO post...

Anyway, twas nice knowing you. I suppose you'll be spirited away in the dead of night and locked up in Vice's dungeon for "squealers"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

How Good is this game

Post by Vice »

The rules for SO are pretty clear and Rami hasn't violated them. He's simply repeating some of his comments he made in that forum with regard to future gameplay he'd want to see. While such a reply might be better tagged to the ideal space-sim thread or a new thread in the space-sim forum, I don't think anything he posted here violates the conditions of SO. So my 'dungeon' will continue to remain empty :)
StarWraith 3D Games
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How Good is this game

Post by Jeremy »

Lol :) Whew! I thought you were a goner, Rami! :P

Jeremy