How to engage main thrusters without inertial dampening?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
CMDR_John_Levine
Ensign
Ensign

How to engage main thrusters without inertial dampening?

Post by CMDR_John_Levine »

Hello, I recently installed the game, and would like to play without inertial dampening. I have VKB Gladiator NXT sticks, and I have bound "throttle" to my x axis on the omnithrottle (left stick.) However, when inertial dampening is turned off, whilst I can get horizontal and vertical thrust, there is no forward thrust from my throttle. All that happens is the "SET" value on the HUD approaches a value approximate to 680 or descends from that to -680 (as I have throttle set to full range.) However my ship does not move in that direction. The only way I can make it move is by firing the afterburner with my trigger on my omnithrottle, which is a digital input, and so rather all or nothing... So I am unsure as to how to proceed, and would be grateful for any help. I did search the forums for an answer but could not find one.

Related to this, the motions of my right stick still face inertial dampening, even with inertial dampening turned off? Is this intentional?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to engage main thrusters without inertial dampening?

Post by Vice »

Hello and welcome. The 'SET' forward/reverse range is applied when the IDS is on and utilizes either the forward, reverse, or full range velocity setting (depending on mode). When the IDS is set to 'Inertial', then thruster control switches over to manual and you'll need to use the 'Inertial Forward/Reverse' input control. This control input will behave just like the horizontal and vertical thruster controls when in this mode. And you can optionally map the same control axis you are using for throttle/SET to inertial forward/reverse for consistency. Just click on the same or a different axis channel in the Axis Configuration menu, then click on 'Inertial Forward/Reverse' to map the axis channel to that control. Then when the IDS is set to inertial mode, you can use that for forward/reverse thrusters.

For the second question, what are all of the controls mapped to the right stick? Ship inertial dampening (the tapering of momentum relative to direction) will apply in the IDS X# modes while not applying in the 'INERTIAL' or 'OFF' modes. So it may depend on what you mean by inertial dampening and the IDS mode being used.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
CMDR_John_Levine
Ensign
Ensign

Hello, thank you, mapping inertial forward/reverse has solved my problem and I have performed a flight and docked. On the right joystick y axis is bound to pitch, x axis is bound to roll, and z axis is bound to yaw. When I apply thrust to thus manoeuvre the ship, the ship stops without counter-thrust even with IDS off?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Directional (vector) tapering occurs in the 'IDS X#' modes. Directional drift is enabled in the 'Inertial' mode, rotational caps and counters remain active in that mode, only the ship itself is allowed to drift inertially. If you want full manual control of maneuvering thrusters, including no counter-thrusters upon centering controls for rotations, press the default Alt-Spacebar key combination (the IDS mode will switch to 'OFF'). This isn't a recommended mode of flight control nor one of intended priority/focus, so it kind of has a protected enablement mode. But it is available if you want to toy around with it.
StarWraith 3D Games
CMDR_John_Levine
Ensign
Ensign

Thanks for your help :)
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

I had no idea rotational inertial control was a thing, must have been in a recent update. I'll have to try that out .
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Flying without rotational inertial control is ridiculous and awesome I love it! My dream of making an interstellar "no time for caution" docking mission is now closer to being a reality :-D
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Also the fact that you can black out and explode if you spin too fast is a nice touch well done!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Those default rotational safety caps do serve a purpose :)
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Probably to keep the game from crashing while trying to form a singularity inside the gpu with infinite exponential rotation speed lol