[EL SE] Modifying chatter sounds

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
MarcusInVR
Ensign
Ensign

[EL SE] Modifying chatter sounds

Post by MarcusInVR »

I have created a number of sound files that I want to publish as a mod pack, it contains replacement radio chatter files. I have followed the guide on this section: https://starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/c ... me.htm#402

It states to create sound files named chatter1-V.wav and so on. It also states to put them into the 'chatter' subfolder. I have not created complete sets (yet), just single files with the '-V.wav' in the file names.

The question is - where does the 'chatter' folder go?

I tried:
root/media/chatter
root/media/sounds/chatter
root/sounds/chatter

None of them worked.

Any ideas? Many thanks.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL SE] Modifying chatter sounds

Post by Vice »

The folder is \root\media\chatter.

What values did you put in place of the 'V' character representing each voice? As stated in the kit, the 'V' character needs to be replaced with values ranging from 1 to 8 representing each potential voice/character for an index set. So once that's done and the files placed in the needed folder, it should work.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MarcusInVR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MarcusInVR »

Hi Vice,

in this case I will create all 8 voice sets and try again. Thanks for responding so quick!
MarcusInVR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MarcusInVR »

OK so... I generated three sound sets so far, all in .wav files. Eventually it seems that the game wanted to choose one of the files, but crashed - stating it can't read the .wav file, with an OGG error message. I converted the files to OGG, placed in the same folder, game runs - but still no file being played.

They are in root/media/chatter and now follow the file name convention of ending in -1 for set 1, -2 for set 2 etc.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That could indicate a dependency on the OGG format that hadn't previously been accounted for. There is a specialized loading system for those sound files that may be applying such a requirement. I'll check further into that and update the customizing kit as may be needed. In the meantime, OGG format should work. Are the sound sets comprehensive, or just the numerical set and/or certain voice sequence sets?

Edit: Confirmed, OGG is required for the revised audio loading system. Filenames were updated for the alerts/'bb' sequences to indicate OGG, but not for the others. I have updated the customizing kit accordingly.
StarWraith 3D Games
MarcusInVR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MarcusInVR »

At the moment I have "only" three sets, so it's not (yet) comprehensive. I will complete the entire set and then report back. Hopefully you will take a liking to my work then :)
MarcusInVR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MarcusInVR »

I have finished the comprehensive sound set now with all 8 sets of different voices.

Placed those into media/chatter, but still - even with a comprehensive sound set, nothing is being played. They are in stereo. Do the files maybe need specific data rates?

// EDIT: Even did a clean install of the game with only the chatter sound files, just to be sure.

// EDIT 2: Yes, the files make the jump from 11 to 18 in their numbers for every sound set.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

After analyzing that system, it appears there are two issues. One is the sound engine employed with the development language and its lack of wav support for one mode of playback, the other is with changing filename parameters not accounting for ogg. This will take some exploration on my part to figure out what solutions may be available. Once I can sort out something, I can provide a test build you can try via e-mail to verify things work.

Edit: I was able to code a solution that is working well so far. I'll roll out an update later today with the fix.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, update rolled out that should fix the issue. For Steam, signing out and in again may be needed to initialize the update.
StarWraith 3D Games
MarcusInVR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MarcusInVR »

I don't believe it. It finally works :)

Although I had to leave my current station... at the next stations the samples were playing. Many thanks once again.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Great, glad it's working now.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

So, instead of .wav files, these modded files will only work when in .oog format?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

For those specific radio chatter audio files, yes.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Okay. Thanks, Vice.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Now that related custom media pack has been posted, I'll move this over to the main Evochron forum.
StarWraith 3D Games