City structures followed me around

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Dalen Rahn
Ensign
Ensign

City structures followed me around

Post by Dalen Rahn »

Vice, I sent 2 pics of what happened last night when I was building on a planet. Basically everything I placed came with me. It was stuck to me like glue, even all the way to my orbiting station.

The 2 pics say it all.

Never seen anything like it. :o
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: City structures followed me around

Post by Vice »

That is strange. Was this in single player or multiplayer? What location were you building in? When you exited and relaunched were the structures still there and in the right place, or did they follow you around again?

Edit: Tried some single player and multiplayer city building and it worked well. There could have been something strange occurring with a server perhaps if it were in multiplayer, not sure though. I'd be interested in your pilot profile to look into it further. With that and the exact steps you completed, I may be able to determine more about what happened.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Dalen Rahn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dalen Rahn »

It was single player. I saved, went to bed, fired it back up and it corrected itself. I was in the Aries region but WAY off the beaten path. I was exploring for other systems about 500-600 (or something like that) sectors galactic north from the standard yellow brick road.

When I reloaded, the structures were gone from the city. Probably bc they all came with me to the orbiting station. They were lonely.

I will post the exact coordinates. I'll send the Pilot Profile too. Maybe there are some artifacts of text that may be of some help.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, seems I'll need the steps to duplicate it and likely the save game. I tried building cities all over uncharted worlds in that area (all planets with green atmospheres and speckled rings as in the screenshots), including both deployment modes (cockpit and overhead), exceeding build limits, and at different elevations... it all worked correctly. So there may be a special step or overall procedure I'll need to account for.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

IIRC, that same oddity happened in one of the earlier incarnations of the game. But it was such a long time ago, I don't remember much. Just a vague memory of having something I'd built follow me around.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yeah, I recall something like that maybe 5 years ago or so, but I don't recall what the cause was, when it was fixed, nor has it apparently happened since until now. The save game may provide me with a clue and I'll keep trying to duplicate it.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, I think I finally found it. Turns out, there has to be a sequence of action(s) and an event in the right order and with the right timing to cause it. If a player builds station/city modules and the event of inventory updating occurs quickly after and before the player has a chance to save their profile, the module data can get lost in its main array, causing them to float around with the player. What was needed was a forced quick save immediately after each build event (already was in multiplayer, now universal). The update is available through all of the usual channels and on Steam.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dalen Rahn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dalen Rahn »

Okay, well I sent new pics and profiles. So, it was bad timing on my part. lol
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Still useful for reference and potential future testing, so thanks for the report and information. This was a difficult one to hunt down :) Several steps of actions/events needed in a certain order and with certain timing to cause it.
StarWraith 3D Games
Dalen Rahn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dalen Rahn »

Leave it to me to break the game. lol
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Dalen Rahn wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:24 pm Leave it to me to break the game. lol
You'll need a lot more breaks to catch up with Denny.