Adding sound clip to play at a specific region in space

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Adding sound clip to play at a specific region in space

Post by TraderDan »

I've read over the sound and music modding FAQ and it seems you can cue specific audio tracks when the player reaches specific coordinates. Can you cue audio or sound effects as well? I'd like to play the clip I made below to start once a player warps into a Vonari occupied region, in this case shortly after exiting the jump gate into the Tallison Warzone:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e_8m99 ... sp=sharing
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adding sound clip to play at a specific region in space

Post by Vice »

It couldn't be done separately, but you could integrate such a sound into the beginning before or during a music sequence. Such an option could also be included as part of a quest.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Vice wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:40 pm Such an option could also be included as part of a quest.
Yup. Works great when placed inside a quest.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

Oh that's a good idea I hadn't looked into making quests yet I figured I'd start making quests once the ship mods were finished. Looks like I have a lot more to learn.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

I guess this begs another question, where is a good resource to learn about creating quests in Evochron Legacy?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Inside the '\media\quests' folder there is a 'Quest0-Sample.txt' file with instructions and a few examples. Then from there, the full quest files themselves in their respective folders are a good next step for review and template examples.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I still have a copy of the quest format, listing what used to be "all" the scripting commands. Unfortunately, it's outdated due to additional commands having been added. But, what Vice said about reviewing some of the old quests is a good idea. For example, The Cosmic Glitch has a mish-mash of audio and graphic options written into the quest. Some of it is outdated but Vice might be able to steer you toward any changes in how those options are currently scripted.
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

I am definitely interested, I'm starting to become proficient with blender so I should be able to learn how to script quests with enough effort.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It's a fairly straightforward sequencing system, basically starting with establishing a stage at a location, then activating an event either by time or location trigger. One of the biggest recent changes was the inclusion of being able to manage multiple entities per location trigger (so you can spawn several ships in one event, rather than having to spawn each individually). Otherwise, most of what is included in older quests will still apply in the same way with the latest formatting, commands, and options. Just let us know if you run into anything you have questions on.
StarWraith 3D Games
TraderDan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TraderDan »

@Marvin

When writing quests it seems there's quite a bit of things you can do like spawn extra meshes / ships, audio and written scripted events - now this might be shooting for the moon but can static visuals or even fmv be implemented like having a video communication come in from say a hostile or friendly ship?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

You can have it so, when you approach a certain object or location, it triggers an audio message. Video? Probably not. But static images, yes. I added a mesh and texture (image) to one of the "lost" portals in one quest. Flying through the portal warped the player to a different location.