Commodity prices settings on MP server

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
BlackFox
Ensign
Ensign

Commodity prices settings on MP server

Post by BlackFox »

Good evening,

After a few years playing in Evochron Mercenary, my wife and I made the jump to Legacy. We both have really enjoyed Legacy with all it has to offer, so our gratitude to the dev for this fantastic game and all time/effort spent on it.

After setting up our own MP server my wife came across the following in the text8.dat file...

Code: Select all

` These lines let you specify settings for having the server simulate changes to commodity prices,
` economy/technology levels, and territory control levels (0 = off, 1 = on)
890=0
891=0
892=0
I would assume line 890 is for the prices, 891 for econ/tech levels, and 892 for territory control. Our main focus is line 890 and the 'simulate changes to commodity prices'. We are curious what differences exist between having the setting to 0 (off) or 1(on). We had assumed since it was set to 0 already by default, as the server runs the pricing changes fluctuates as time progresses. Could we get some guidance to what this setting does exactly with either on or off set.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Commodity prices settings on MP server

Post by Vice »

Hi BlackFox,

Glad you are enjoying the game. Line 890 is indeed for the commodity price simulation option. When set to 0, the server program will not simulate trade activities by AI/NPC ships, leaving any changes directly affected only by players. When set to 1, then the server will apply simulated price changes over time and player activities will be part of those overall price changes.

So if you'd prefer to have only your actions affect prices, 0 would be the recommended setting. For price fluctuations outside of your actions, 1 would be recommended.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
BlackFox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BlackFox »

Thanks for the explanation. We will set it to 1 and let the AI have their say too :)

Appreciate your time answering.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I think it was originally not an option in that the AI wouldn't influence prices. It made for easier when first building up your finances (once you found a lucrative route, you stuck with it, knowing the prices would remain constant). But having the AI in the ball game sounds a lot more challenging. And should make building that fortune more satisfying. :moneybag:

Lucky you, having a wife who also enjoys playing. :woman: The best I could do was convince my kids to join in.
BlackFox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BlackFox »

Ha, right? My wife does a lot with me... trucking (ETS2), Farm Sim, and even flight (XP11). Her and I both played TradeWars together for years and this was a great fit for us both. Evochron is another game that we can spend countless hours having fun.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Do you play as a team or as adversaries?
BlackFox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BlackFox »

Right now we are both team as IND. It has been pretty easy for the transition from Mercenary to Legacy, but we will be on opposite sides at some point.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Cool.