Autopilot development plans...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Autopilot development plans...

Post by Vice »

I've been asked about this over the years and after some recent inquiries, I thought I'd post this here as an update on what's being worked on with the autopilot system.

One of the last remaining items on my to-do list for the game is a major revision to the autopilot. This has been on the sidelines for a while since it has had the potential of impacting the intended player-involved control approach and also requires a wide range of newly coded complex systems to implement the object avoidance and docking mechanisms I've wanted to incorporate. As a result, this is not a small or easy effort. I've been working on it for a long time already and am only now getting to the point where most of the pieces are in place and I can test the various avoidance and docking mechanisms in prototype form. I anticipate this will take quite a lot of additional evaluation to fine tune the various systems. Here is a summary review of the planned goals:

- New Collision Avoidance System:
> Linked to collision alert system.
> Applies strafe thrusters in attempt to avoid pending collisions.
> For planetary terrain and moons, additional secondary avoidance capabilities involving pitch control.
> Varies response distance and adjustments based on object type (new object specific identity system needed).
> Automatic velocity adjustments for environment types (planet atmospheres and asteroid fields).
> Also controls velocity further as may be needed based on proximity to nearest impact point.
> Autopilot should level player ship with planetary terrain for more manageable maneuvering.

- Automated Station Docking:
> System detects proximity to nearest station hangar (and directive if given/applicable).
> Flies to a checkpoint at gate entrance and can compensate/reset as needed if entry is too close to gate edge.
> Can detect if player is directly above, below, or between hangars to fly further out as needed to checkpoint.
> Speed declination and approach angles calibrated to be similar to NPC/AI ships flying such docking patterns.
> Autopilot disengages automatically upon docking (avoids conflicts with station tractor beam).
> Departures will continue to require direct involvement by player.

- Automated City Docking:
> System works in conjunction with terrain collision avoidance system in effort to avoid impacts.
> Altitude bypass activates once player is close enough to city landing pad, otherwise higher altitude maintained.
> Line of site from above will remain optimal descent path, down to level approach angle should be supported though.
> Nav point stays synchronized with movement of city due to rotation of planet (player can retask/reset as needed).
> Nav point is automatically adjusted for docking above landing pad when autopilot is engaged.
> Autopilot disengages automatically upon docking (avoids conflicts with city tractor beam).

- Automated Carrier Docking:
> System sets checkpoint in front of carrier.
> Once checkpoint is reached, ship is directed to enter hangar (if too much drift occurs, reset and align).
> Strafe thrusters used to fly over or under ship as needed if approaching from incorrect aft side.
> Destination is center of hangar, landing at an optional docking pad is left up to the player.
> Autopilot disengages automatically upon docking.

- Overall Capabilities:
> All docking and avoidance systems are applied automatically based on plotted nav point.
> Retain measure of player involvement, so lines of sight and route planning are still important.
> Player can disengage the IDS to manually control thrusters for custom speed and course adjustments.
> Not 100% effective at preventing collisions or getting stuck, simply reduces chance and improves overall safety.
> Prioritize collision reduction over fuel efficiency and speed (manual IDS control to offset).
> Works with both multi-waypoint system and single nav point plotting.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autopilot development plans...

Post by Marvin »

Well, auto-docking at a city would be welcome, especially on planets with high winds.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, it has the potential to significantly ease the process of descending to cities on such planets. Strong winds will likely still be able to throw the course off a bit, but the system can counter it and the player can apply added offset corrections, if needed. But I've managed several descents on Rivoch with the system and it's managed to dock well on its own each time.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Preview video of the new autopilot systems in development:

StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

The "windy city" option is in there so, I guess, that about covers it. :thumbsup: