Star heating

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Ensign
Ensign

Star heating

Post by 220048 »

A request for a future update.
I flew towards a sun to get some fuel.
I saw the temperature bar, and it still was green.
I decided to go as close as possible to the star, and I could stay a few meters from it without having any negative effects.
Could it be possible to add stars with heat that can give your ships damage when staying very close to a star and the engines from a carrier?
Or it is possible to make this an in-game option?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Star heating

Post by Vice »

The heat indicator on the HUD does not relate to environmental heat, it is directly tied to your ship's heat emission. You use that indicator to keep track of how much heat your ship is putting out (not how much it is exposed to), so you can reduce your ship's heat signature to reduce the tracking capability of inbound missiles and/or increase the effectiveness of the countermeasures you launch. So that is a combat related gauge rather than environmental.

You will explode from heat if you get too close to a star. But your shields do a very good job of protecting you from damage well into the corona and near the surface of stars (they protect you from extremely high energy/heat weapon impacts after all, so they can manage heat from a star pretty well). But move in too close and you will eventually exceed the protective limits of your shields and the heat will destroy your ship (you'll see the hull status indicator decrease as it takes damage).

You probably weren't within a few meters of the star, likely not anywhere close to its surface. Next time you think you're that close to a star, check your vertical elevation relative to it. You were probably well below or above it, but in an overhead view, it might look like you were right on top of it. You were likely still well beyond the damage range. Damage generally won't start occurring on your ship until you get within about 50K of a star. That is also around an 1100 GVL indicated level. Beyond that, you're safe. Closer than that though and you'll see the caution alert appear on the HUD and damage will occur on your ship's hull directly as the shields can't reflect that level of heat energy coming from the star.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations