Customisation (music, stations, own missions)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Decus Crux
Ensign
Ensign

Customisation (music, stations, own missions)

Post by Decus Crux »

I've been playing EL for a while now and thought it was time to try my hand at my own 'campaign'.
I am having trouble finding information on how to script my own missions - who can help me?

I also have two questions regarding custom music and stations that I haven't found answers to:

Music
I know (and already use) the method to add my own music tracks. Now that EL-SE has received some updates, I wonder if it is now also possible to define the music played per region? Also, is there a way to set a music track that only plays when you are docked resp. inside the station?

Stations
Simple thing; is there a possibility to give the stations, depending on their affiliation (FED / ALC), separate graphics for e.g. gate numbers or dockin area?

Mace
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Customisation (music, stations, own missions)

Post by Vice »

Hi Decus Crux,

Arvoch Alliance SE has a mission system designed for event and time driven objectives in a campaign format. It also comes with a mission editor. The quest system in the more freeform Evochron game can be used for scripted events, narratives, and objectives, but isn't as 'mission' focused per se. But you can script combat objectives in addition to providing other narratives and events. Details are available in the 'Quest0-Sample.txt' file located in the '\media\Quests' folder within the game's installation folder.

Music in Evochron is entirely threat level driven, rather than location based. But you can provide a wide enough variety of music to often provide unique tracks when one finishes as you travel.

Edit: The 2.0378 update has now introduced the ability to specify music based on location in addition to threat level. Details are available in the customizing kit.

For station textures, no, not at this time. It is something I've considered in the past, but with the narrow memory confines I'm trying to stay within, additional texture indexes may either have to be swapped or minimalized to avoid exceeding those limits. Ultimately, I want to implement some kind of holographic banner system which would be used as identifiers for stations (declaring affiliation between the gate entrances or displayed on top). I've just been so busy with everything else, I haven't had much time to explore those types of things on my list.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Decus Crux
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Decus Crux »

Vice wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:18 pm Hi Decus Crux,

Arvoch Alliance SE has a mission system designed for event and time driven objectives in a campaign format. It also comes with a mission editor. The quest system in the more freeform Evochron game can be used for scripted events, narratives, and objectives, but isn't as 'mission' focused per se. But you can script combat objectives in addition to providing other narratives and events. Details are available in the 'Quest0-Sample.txt' file located in the '\media\Quests' folder within the game's installation folder.

Music in Evochron is entirely threat level driven, rather than location based. But you can provide a wide enough variety of music to often provide unique tracks when one finishes as you travel.

Edit: The 2.0378 update has now introduced the ability to specify music based on location in addition to threat level. Details are available in the customizing kit.

For station textures, no, not at this time. It is something I've considered in the past, but with the narrow memory confines I'm trying to stay within, additional texture indexes may either have to be swapped or minimalized to avoid exceeding those limits. Ultimately, I want to implement some kind of holographic banner system which would be used as identifiers for stations (declaring affiliation between the gate entrances or displayed on top). I've just been so busy with everything else, I haven't had much time to explore those types of things on my list.
Thank you for your answers.

Then I understand correctly, there is no possibility to define a track that is only played when you are in the station? I thought that since announcements are then played, a music track could also be linked if required?

Quests;
So good so clear... but how do I get them loaded in the game? If I now create a folder, let's say Quest4, and a corresponding text file (Quest4.txt) with the reference 'QuestIDNum=4'... then shouldn't it be loaded automatically and beeing selectable in the quest menu? Are there any other steps necessary?

Music again

Yes, I know that you can have up to 100 pieces... I'm less interested in variety, but more in recognisability. If I could assign certain music to certain regions, it gains recognition value, that was my point. But okay, if that's not intended, then it's not.

I can understand what you mean about the stations. Still... it's a pity - even just a little difference would do it.That said, I myself have no idea about programming and therefore cannot estimate the effort, but I could have imagined that it would mean less effort than several cockpits and the possibility of giving each cockpit its own potential hud, hence the question.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Correct, there is no location-based framework in place for selective music, only threat driven.

The quest ID number doesn't matter so much as long as the folder and file are placed in their correct respective locations and are named correctly. To show up in the game using your example, the '\Quest4' folder will need to be placed inside either the '\media\Quests' folder or inside the '\Quests' folder located inside the save data location (default is '\Documents\EvochronLegacySE', this 'Quests' folder won't exist if you haven't downloaded a quest though). If you've downloaded another quest or have one in place already in the save data folder, then the game will ignore a quest in the same index in another folder. So I'd recommend checking for those conflicts first if you're having trouble getting the game to detect one you've place. It will then also need to have a valid title line. If there is no valid 'QuestTitle=' line (case sensitive), then the game will not pick it up either.

I agree on some form of visual display for stations, so I'll add that to my list to prototype. Ideally, I could display both the name and the faction affiliation on a holographic banner orbiting at the top of the command module. The faction affiliation could even be color coded based on the player's faction (ALC=ALC would be green, ALC vs IND would be yellow, ALC vs FDN would be red and the same for other affiliation types).
StarWraith 3D Games
Decus Crux
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Decus Crux »

Thanks, the detail with the save data location was the crucial one, now it works.

I have now also played with the option of storing different HUDs for different cockpits. According to the index list in customkid.html, the Talon is #1 and the Arrow is #3. Well, here too, I'm probably too stupid... \hud1 for the Talon, works. \hud3 for the Arrow, doesn't work. Do I have to number the orders consecutively (i.e. also create a \hud2)?

And then I noticed something very small:

In the territorial view (navigation map), red is always indicated as 'ENEMY' and green as 'ALLIED', regardless of whether you belong to the FDN or ALC. But I think that this has been the case for a long time?

Edit:
There is something else that has been 'bothering' me for years;
Basically, the 'battle hud' is by default the one that is booted at startup, with the 'travel hud' as a second option. And to get from the travel hud back to the battle hud you have to go via the 'hud all off' step.

Is there an easy way to change this? So that the travel hud is set as 'default'? Or that you can only switch between the huds and turn off the hud completely via another, separate button?

Edit 2:
Regarding the individual cockpits, I have now tried numbering them consecutively, but it still doesn't work. Also /hud40 (referring to the other index) has no effect.
Last edited by Decus Crux on Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

There is an internal cockpit structure index (used for multiple ships of related design/manufacturer) and a ship frame index, which do have different values. The Arrow is in index 41, so you'd use '\hud41'.

Yes, friendly space will be green and hostile space red, regardless of ALC/FDN faction affiliation. It's indeed been that way since the early days of the game.

The full HUD is on by default (not really a battle HUD, just more details, many of which are more navigation related such as the pitch ladder, velocity/gravity/altitude readouts, and motion tunnel). There currently isn't a way to change the default startup mode or limit the selection range. You can however, reduce what is displayed on the full HUD through modification if removing certain elements is desired. Setting up the default starting mode to the limited HUD might be a possibility to add for a customizing option.

Ship indexes start at 1-10 for Alliance frames, 21-32 for military frames, and 41-50 for Federation frames. So the first Federation frame (Arrow) would use '\hud41'. Filename indexes start at -1 of those values (long story, but was retained to keep legacy compatibility with older custom files). So the Arrow's hud folder for custom cockpit files is '\hud41' while the frame name in the '\ships' folder is 'frame40.x' or 'frame40.obj'.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I learned to script quests by reading through Vice's versions, then copying and pasting small parts to see how (or if) they function in different setups. The current quest engine is fairly powerful, especially if you get creative and experiment. I read where you'd like to have music play only at certain times (eg. while docking) and, though it probably can't be done in an open (non-quest) game, you can generate sound in a quest script and set it to only play when triggered. I guess the hardest part right now is to find all the various parts (music-sound, graphics, text) buried in the game folder. Personally, I'd look at the text file first. Last time I checked, it was located in:

C:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacySE\media\Quests\Questn

Look for parts of a script which use sound or graphics. Then note how the line (in the script) designates its use. Note: be aware that each Stage is kind'a like a set of commands it itself. Meaning, if a player saves the game (quest) at that particular point, the objects or sound generated by the command will not be generated again. The quest will continue but the player won't see the graphics or hear the sound-music unless he/she saved at an earlier Stage in the quest and continues the quest from there.
Decus Crux
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Decus Crux »

Vice wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:46 pm Ship indexes start at 1-10 for Alliance frames, 21-32 for military frames, and 41-50 for Federation frames. So the first Federation frame (Arrow) would use '\hud41'. Filename indexes start at -1 of those values (long story, but was retained to keep legacy compatibility with older custom files). So the Arrow's hud folder for custom cockpit files is '\hud41' while the frame name in the '\ships' folder is 'frame40.x' or 'frame40.obj'.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I can't get this information anywhere, can I? I followed the explanations in the customkitse.readme and it says (as far as I can see?) something different. Unfortunately I can't insert pictures here (i have no url source for my pics) so I'll make a separate email.
Vice wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:46 pm Yes, friendly space will be green and hostile space red, regardless of ALC/FDN faction affiliation. It's indeed been that way since the early days of the game.
Again; Doesn't match what I see. Because no matter if I am FDN or ALC - FDN is always marked as red, ALC as green. And in the legend, red is always described as enemy and green as allied. And if I start as an FDN (in Sierra), I am not an enemy with the FDN, am I? Why then should the (friendly) area be shown as 'Enemy' for me? I would understand if red just always meant FDN and green always meant ALC, but like this? Here, too, I have put the screens in the mail, as English is not my native language and it is well possible that I am not expressing myself clearly.
Marvin wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:57 pm I learned to script quests by reading through Vice's versions, then copying and pasting small parts to see how (or if) they function in different setups. The current quest engine is fairly powerful, especially if you get creative and experiment. I read where you'd like to have music play only at certain times (eg. while docking) and, though it probably can't be done in an open (non-quest) game, you can generate sound in a quest script and set it to only play when triggered. I guess the hardest part right now is to find all the various parts (music-sound, graphics, text) buried in the game folder. Personally, I'd look at the text file first. Last time I checked, it was located in:

C:\sw3dg\EvochronLegacySE\media\Quests\Questn

Look for parts of a script which use sound or graphics. Then note how the line (in the script) designates its use. Note: be aware that each Stage is kind'a like a set of commands it itself. Meaning, if a player saves the game (quest) at that particular point, the objects or sound generated by the command will not be generated again. The quest will continue but the player won't see the graphics or hear the sound-music unless he/she saved at an earlier Stage in the quest and continues the quest from there.
Thanks Marvin, that's good advice, I'll keep that in mind :)

Mace
Last edited by Decus Crux on Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I can't get this information anywhere, can I? I followed the explanations in the customkitse.readme and it says (as far as I can see?) something different. Unfortunately I can't insert pictures here (i have no url source for my pics) so I'll make a separate email.
You are correct, the +1 difference isn't covered in the customizing kit. The index value next to the '\hud' folder is mentioned, but not detailed like it should be. So I've added such a list to the kit for the next update along with some other changes/additions to help clarify. Here is the list for reference:

Alliance:
1 = Talon
2 = Osprey
3 = Saber
4 = Falcon
5 = Raptor
6 = Phoenix
7 = Eagle
8 = Renegade
9 = Centurion
10 = Leviathan

Federation:
41 = Arrow
42 = Scorpion
43 = Hunter
44 = Typhoon
45 = Venture
46 = Sentinel
47 = Guardian
48 = Paladin
49 = Titan
50 = Starmaster

Military:
21 = Pulsar
22 = Razor
23 = Shadow
24 = Wraith
25 = Evoch
26 = Nighthawk
27 = Lamprey
28 = Firestar
29 = Avenger
30 = Shrike
31 = Predator
32 = Chimera
Again; Doesn't match what I see. Because no matter if I am FDN or ALC - FDN is always marked as red, ALC as green. And in the legend, red is always described as enemy and green as allied. And if I start as an FDN (in Sierra), I am not an enemy with the FDN, am I? Why then should the (friendly) area be shown as 'Enemy' for me? I would understand if red just always meant FDN and green always meant ALC, but like this? Here, too, I have put the screens in the mail, as English is not my native language and it is well possible that I am not expressing myself clearly.
You're right! I'm not sure if something broke recently or if it's been this way for a while and just hasn't been reported yet. I'll be working on getting that fixed for the next update as well. In the meantime, consider red to be for FDN and green for ALC.

On the matter of HUD modes, I have added some customizing options to support selecting a startup mode, cycle direction, and mode restrictions. If you would like access to a pre-release test build with these options to verify functionality, just send me a quick e-mail and I can reply back with the details.
StarWraith 3D Games
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

You're right! I'm not sure if something broke recently or if it's been this way for a while and just hasn't been reported yet.
Sorry 'bout that. I guess it comes from playing as an Indy (yellow) for so long. After all, if you have enough credits to pay the docking fees, why not be friendly with both sides? (Too bad the Vonari can't come to some hospitable agreement with non-hostile Indy pilots.)
Decus Crux
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Decus Crux »

Vice wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:47 pm You're right! I'm not sure if something broke recently or if it's been this way for a while and just hasn't been reported yet. I'll be working on getting that fixed for the next update as well. In the meantime, consider red to be for FDN and green for ALC.
I remember that I noticed this before my Evochron break and wanted to report it, but then I also forgot about it. I looked earlier and found the printscreen I made back then, it's from 14 November 2021... so yea, it's been like that for quite a while I guess ;) . But like Marvin, I guess many like to play 'neutral' (me included) or, quite obviously, siding with the ALC - or they're not me and looking that closely at all those informations / buttons while they try to understand how to play the game ;D