Question about M-9 (warriors and builders)

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Question about M-9 (warriors and builders)

Post by kmunoz »

So I'm struggling with mission nine (that's not a surprise) and I checked the strategy guide but I have a question about the suggestion there. Are the Vonari after the devices specifically? Which is to say, in the guide it says to bait/kite the enemy - should I be doing this while carrying a football, which will cause them to chase me, or is it more about getting out in front as the wave arrives so that I'm the first target they see?

(My first two attempts were brute force, but I only got 9 of 12 completed before my wings were gone. That is, I am sure, as intended.)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about M-9 (warriors and builders)

Post by Vice »

The Vonari won't be attacking the modules or station being assembled, they will focus on the ships. By 'baiting', you'll simply need to bait them away from the build area by keeping your wingmen in formation and fly as a group to one side or the other. Once you are about around 3-5K away from the build area and are just at the edge of missile range (you and your ships are around 4-5K away from the Vonari), then issue the order to attack. You can then help out, or fly wide as the ships engage and try to build while they focus on combat. If all else fails, you can also simply focus on the combat to help out and just build between arriving waves of enemy ships.

By keeping your ships in close formation until a particular strike point like that, you help them consolidate their firepower in closer proximity, rather than getting spread out and more easily picked off one by one. It's a helpful tactic in a variety of scenarios (not issuing the order to attack too early and instead, strategically placed/timed for optimal damage).

Another tip is to watch your squadron's damage states and if they take significant damage, you can order them back to formation, fly fast (>4K, but not over their limit of about 5.2K) to escape any Vonari in the area to allow their shields to recharge and hulls to repair a bit, then turn around to engage when ready. During this time, you can pull up the tactical console (F2) to observe their hull damage and shield arrays. That console also lets you know how many missiles they have left.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll probably end up relying on the last one most of all. But I will have to get into the habit of thinking more tactically - considering positions and angles of attack.
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

Well I think I mostly followed the advice...! And managed to make it through with only 1 lost wingman.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That's impressive! Losing only one is a pretty difficult thing to achieve on that mission, congrats!
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations