Sensor probe + signals shifting - not sure I understand why

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
ZenonSeth
Ensign
Ensign

Sensor probe + signals shifting - not sure I understand why

Post by ZenonSeth »

Hey, so after hours of grinding and then jumping around I finally found a deploy constructor in Vega. So the explorer in me wanted to jump to an empty sector and see what I can find. The first one I tried, I found nothing, but I thought I noticed something weird, so I went to another empty sector and tried again, this time with screenshots:

1. I deployed a sensor probe in the middle of the sector, as you can see here:
deployed1L.jpg
2. I made one jump to one of the dots it showed. Only had a random friendly ship there, but then when I opened the map.. everything was shifted? So I plotted a jump to another of the green dots (by right clicking it), as you can see highlighted here in this image:
deployed2L.jpg
3. After the 2nd jump, I found nothing but empty space, and when I opened the map, the probe's location, as well as all the dots, had seemingly shifted again, even further out. As you can see here, my actual position after the 2nd jump is where the green dot USED to be (in image 2 above) - but there was nothing there in space, and the dot had shifted again:
deployed3L.jpg
I don't understand why this is happening. My first thought was that this is a bug when I jump, since after the 1st jump, any other ones to the dots showed me nothing but empty space there. But it's also possible that there's something about this I don't understand - so I wanted to ask here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sensor probe + signals shifting - not sure I understand why

Post by Vice »

That definitely appears to be a placement bug, likely brought about by recent changes in 278 to various interdependent systems. I'll be looking into it today.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
ZenonSeth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ZenonSeth »

Thanks! Hopefully you can reproduce the issue, if not I'm happy to help.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Wow, that was a surprise bug and a tricky one to fix. But its significance warrants a rollout of an update to fix it and as a result, this will also correct the issues you had reported with the custom indexes for planet rings and other image systems (so that both their folder names will now properly link to '\hud' and ring index 4 is now available). For direct download users, the update can be downloaded from the game's website and affiliated links now. For Steam, it will roll out as soon as it is live on their system.
StarWraith 3D Games
ZenonSeth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ZenonSeth »

I'm impressed at the speed that you addressed this! I just downloaded the update on Steam, it works fine now, no more shifting. The ring + other textures too. Thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Excellent, thanks for the follow up. Glad it's now working well. I actually had to roll out two quick updates as fixing one problem broke something else (as is too typical in software, lol), so if you are running the slightly older build, you'll likely be prompted for another small update through Steam shortly which will correct a potential initial player ship placement issue upon arrival. Things should be fully sorted now at this point though.
StarWraith 3D Games
ZenonSeth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ZenonSeth »

Hah I was actually going to report that just now! I crashed into the interior of the station when jumping with plotted via right-click. I know all too well about bugs unfortunately, I'm also a software dev though not games, just Android. Looks like you found the bug before I had a chance to post here though, which is cool, seems fine now that I restarted the game.

Edit: Ok, not crashing into space station anymore, but using right click - or better yet clicking on the Station button on the side - puts the nav point about 2-3K outside the station itself. Testing it, it seems it always puts the nav point on a direct line between me and the station, but 2-3K outside it. - ok, I'm editing this a lot, but I guess right clicking on station works fine, but clicking Station button puts you the 2-3K outside.

Edit2: Also just noticed the landblue/red/green textures aren't picked up, either if under media/ or under media/hud/
Last edited by ZenonSeth on Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That sounds like expected behavior. Right clicking on the station will place a waypoint fairly close in the direction you're facing (to accommodate lining up with the arrows on the compass for entrances). However, if you are on an active contract, then the spacing will increase by default, giving more time to set things up for potential waypoints and entity alignments. So if you are on an active contract, expect to be placed significantly farther out from any selected nav point.

Additionally, the station button itself operates differently than right clicking directly on icons. The objects of interest list often uses line-of-site plotting and will provide a safer arrival point spaced pretty far out from an effected object on the list. This behavior was added to the game by request in updates as was the same behavior for asteroid fields.
StarWraith 3D Games
ZenonSeth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ZenonSeth »

Ok, makes sense, seems useful.

I edited my post a lot, but the other thing I couldn't get the landblue/red/green textures to load, either from the root media/ or media/hud/ folder. Though again that's really not a big deal, the custom ones I was using are really not that different, they were just part the one of the texture packs I found.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, on the other image issues, I guess that will take more investigating. For now, simply use the \environment folder path within the \media folder and it should then load as will any others that are related to the same group that may not currently load.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I've e-mailed you a test build to try and verify those file folder alignments are now changed as needed.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks to ZenonSeth for the help in testing. Updates have been rolled out to incorporate the changes and fixes needed to align the various media files with the dependent folders. The customizing kit has also been updated to reflect the changes.
StarWraith 3D Games