Question about texture mods

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
ZenonSeth
Ensign
Ensign

Question about texture mods

Post by ZenonSeth »

Hi, I bought this game recently and I wanted to got the EvoTweak modpack (and fixed its script to work for SE, already posted in that thread)

But I was looking at the customization docs (https://starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/c ... readme.htm) - and as far as I can tell all the image formats there are specified as PNG, whereas a lot of the textures packed with EvoTweak are in .dds format. I can open the .dds files, they look fine, and I can convert them to PNG.

But when I converted (for my own testing) the new Rings textures from EvoTweak to PNG format, I get this game crash when I select Launch:
evochron_error_rings4.jpg
This crash doesn't happen when I'm using the .dds files - but then I'm not sure if they actually have any effect. So two questions:
1. Would placing texture files as .dds (e.g. media/rings/rings1.dds) have any effect?
2. If not, what am I doing wrong for the above error I get when the files are PNGs? I even downscaled them to 1024x1024 (from original 2048x2048) pngs to no success.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about texture mods

Post by Vice »

The image format and sizes are ok. It looks like index 4 is already bound, so rings 1-3 should work for importing and 4 will need to be skipped for now. I should be able to work in an index change for a potential future update so that all 4 indexes are available. In the meantime, rings1.png, rings2.png, and rings3.png should import correctly.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
ZenonSeth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ZenonSeth »

Ah cool, thanks - yea I got rid of 4 and 1-3 work fine as PNGs. So I need to go through and convert a bunch of the textures that came from EvoTweak to PNGs - not sure why they were added as .dds to begin with
ZenonSeth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ZenonSeth »

On a related point about texture mods, I'm not sure if the landing path textures are picked up. I placed appropriate 256x256 PNGs called landgreen1.png/landgreen2.png/landred1.png/landreg2.png images in the media/hud/ folder but in-game it's still using the default image. Not really a big deal, but I just noticed it so thought I'd mention it.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

ZenonSeth wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:35 pm On a related point about texture mods, I'm not sure if the landing path textures are picked up. I placed appropriate 256x256 PNGs called landgreen1.png/landgreen2.png/landred1.png/landreg2.png images in the media/hud/ folder but in-game it's still using the default image. Not really a big deal, but I just noticed it so thought I'd mention it.
Good catch, thanks. For now, you should be able to place those files in the root '\media' folder and have them load. I'll add that to the list of media paths to change and update.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations