UI glitch with selecting Quests in inventory screen subscreen

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

UI glitch with selecting Quests in inventory screen subscreen

Post by kmunoz »

If I click on an option (for example, "1 - Beginning of a Legacy (Alliance)"), I hear the interface beep but the UI doesn't come up. Instead I get a very static-like "after-image" of the UI instead, briefly - about 1/3 of a second. Here is a video of the issue:

https://youtu.be/Q0iHVeKXFmg

This is in the current version of the game, through Steam.
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Re: UI glitch with selecting Quests in inventory screen subscreen

Post by kmunoz »

I'm also experiencing a similar glitch when I switch from News/Information to System Information while on a station. The static/after-image glitch appears briefly just as the info on the panel changes.
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

(Now I'm realizing that maybe there isn't supposed to be a UI popping up on the quest menu - but the glitch is there regardless, it just may not be interfering with the use of the interface there.)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Those artifacts have been an occasional side effect of rendering on AMD based GPU's. So I'm guessing that is likely what you are running. Most have been sorted, but it seems there may still be a few left behind. I will test locally on a system I have here to try and duplicate it and there are ways I can try to bypass a rendering step to remove the effect. If you'll send me a quick e-mail, I can reply back with a link to a test build to verify it is resolved on your system as well. If you notice the effect elsewhere in the UI chain, please also include those points in your e-mail.

Correct on the UI action, it's just a selection and activation process that's needed.

Edit: Thanks for your e-mail and follow up. Glad we were able to sort it out. Changes will be rolled out in the next planned update.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

Unfortunately I'm catching more glitches of this sort, after the update. I'm noticing it after I hit Escape and then click Return to Game - I get the "static" as the options window goes away and I return to the game.

It's also appearing, I *think*, at roughly 50% of the way through a jump (presumably when data is being loaded in). It's *exceedingly* brief.

Edit to add: the jump static glitch happens right after the jump sound starts to come down from its top pitch (so just after 1/2 way through).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Should be possible to sort those out as well if they aren't dependent on such a rendering step along the way. They didn't surface when I ran through the previous search, so there may be more involved with those. I'll check into those...

Edit: Ok, I was able to test for those, duplicate them, and correct them. I also wasn't able to locate any others, so hopefully it's sorted now. Steam will update when it goes live on their system and the direct download installer is ready now.
StarWraith 3D Games
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

Wow, I appreciate the speed of the fix!
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

I found another one, buried deep in an edge case. If I'm docked at a station, then hit ESC and Save the game manually, when the interface returns to the Inventory panel but *before* the panel populates (it's still filled in black, and there's a brief pause for the game to create the save), I get the glitch. It happens in the gap between the completion of the save and the full return of the (populated) inventory screen.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If it occurs then, it should also occur with Alt-F9 for quick saving and the inventory console status shouldn't impact the final output render. I've sent you a test build to try and see if it is now resolved. My AMD test setup is inaccessible at the moment, so I won’t have a way to duplicate or test changes myself for a while. If the test version resolves it, I can integrate it into an update.

Edit: I was able to get the AMD test setup going and ran some checks. The issue now appears resolved through all save routes: Alt-F9, Save Progress, and Select Profile and Save. I also couldn't cause the issue through other menu routes. So I'll prepare an update and will edit this post again once it's available.

Edit X2: Ok, update is available for download. This is not a required update for anyone, just optional if you run into and want to resolve the visual artifact issue with a few of the menu transitions, jump drive sequence, and save events. I'll likely hold off any making any further changes until any next official update may be rolled out.
StarWraith 3D Games