Purchase through Steam or directly from the Author

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Pantomath
Ensign
Ensign

Purchase through Steam or directly from the Author

Post by Pantomath »

Hello everyone,

I am playing the Evochron Legacy SE demo and I am convinced that this game is for me. I have questions before I purchase the game. Evochron Legacy SE is available from the author and through Steam. I prefer not to purchase my games through steam if possible. A reason I will purchase a game from Steam is for Steam’s “Workshop”. The Workshop is for modders to put their content(s) up for easy accessibility for the players and for installed mods to automatically update. Another reason to buy games through Steam is for automatic core game updates. These two points are the most important points for me if I was going to consider buying through Steam.

My question is if I purchase through Steam, does Evochron Legacy SE have a “Workshop” as not all games do and without a Workshop, it is not worth buying through Steam in my opinion? Does Evochron Legacy SE, if purchased directly from the author, come with a core game self-updater, or do I have to manually check all the time?

Thank you for your time
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Purchase through Steam or directly from the Author

Post by Vice »

My question is if I purchase through Steam, does Evochron Legacy SE have a “Workshop” as not all games do and without a Workshop, it is not worth buying through Steam in my opinion?
Hello,

No, the game does not utilize Steam's workshop framework nor are its modification options dependent on any other external third party system. Any customizations are merely a matter of placing files in specific folders and the game will check for and load alternate media in place of default media when detected. Details on customizing options are available here: https://starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/c ... readme.htm
Does Evochron Legacy SE, if purchased directly from the author, come with a core game self-updater, or do I have to manually check all the time?
The game doesn't use a launcher setup that would integrate a form of self-updater, but if/when an update is available, the game itself will prompt you to update at your convenience and will provide the route to download the latest installer directly (which doubles as an updating installer).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Pantomath
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Pantomath »

Alright, I see no reason to buy the Steam version other than what others say, that it is for the convenience of having all your games in one place, and that is not a reason that is good enough for me. If there is nothing else, I am satisfied with the answers given.

Thank you
Last edited by Pantomath on Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

For me, Steam has often been a last resort for any game I buy. I've been playing Starwraith games since before they were available through Steam and I see no reason to make the change. Game updates are always announced in this forum and, if you've selected the option to Check for Updates in the game's Options menu, you'll automatically get the prompt when you start the game. As for mods, any new versions are posted at this forum and, if you find old mods while rummaging through early posts, you can always ask to see if they still work with the latest version of the game.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

Post by matchbox2022 »

Steam has allowed me to stream games and that's my main use for it now.
Most mods can be found here and their installation is easy for those computer literate (becoming less and less as UIs cater to lower and lower entry thresholds!)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

I guess streaming through discord isn't as practical as using Steam.