Planetary structure names

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Craig68x
Ensign
Ensign

Planetary structure names

Post by Craig68x »

I noticed that I can't name my structures I build on planets. It just shows an alpha-numerical designation. Is this intentional?
Craig68x
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Planetary structure names

Post by Craig68x »

While on the subject: why can't you store things on planets? I build storage structures a lot on planets but I'm wondering if that's a waste of time.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes. Cities are bound to control under the local station, so they will only carry the control designations themselves which are the 'ALC'/'FDN'/'IND' characters when highlighted with the mouse on the map. When you dock at a city port, you'll generally just see the name of the local planet in the welcome message (reserving the mouse over highlighting to indicate any station link). If a new station is built under a new faction, it 'conquers' the local city(ies) as well, so it/they will then carry the new faction ID in their listings.

Station command modules are reserved for hangar storage (due in no small part to their easier access, but also to incentivize building them specifically as is city linking). That is also why they are much larger in structure (room for the hangars) and cost +100 ore units more to build than city docking ports. City ports still have the labs and shipyards, hangars are just reserved for full command stations.

If one of your goals is to boost local market inventories (higher tech/econ rating for higher level equipment and weapons), then building storage modules on planets is just as useful as building them in space. Storage modules don't increase hangar capacities in space stations anyway. Their only purposes are to supply storage for supporting more weapon turrets (housing the missiles and energy cells) and to hold materials necessary to build better items. Those in conjunction with production modules are just as beneficial on planets as they are in space (and benefit the inventories everywhere in the sector).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Craig68x
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Craig68x »

Good to know on all points, thanks!