Linux server software please!

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Linux server software please!

Post by d3drocks »

Hello,
I know this has been requested in the past, but a command line Linux server kit would be really really useful. Linux VPSes cost very little these days (even free if you use Oracle) and it would be trivial to set up some multiplayer sessions.
Vice, Please seriously consider doing this! A couple of friends and I want to be able to leverage the bandwidth of a VPS we already have running to play. we cant if the server software is Windows only!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linux server software please!

Post by Vice »

I might be able to put together a test build you could try to see if it might work. Just send me an e-mail from the address you'd like to receive the link at ( starwraith.com > contact ). Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to launch the 'no-gui' version of the server program on a Linux system? That result may provide some clues as to what direction(s) to try.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

Vice wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm I might be able to put together a test build you could try to see if it might work. Just send me an e-mail from the address you'd like to receive the link at ( starwraith.com > contact ). Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to launch the 'no-gui' version of the server program on a Linux system? That result may provide some clues as to what direction(s) to try.
I tried running both GUI and non GUI through crossover/wine on my laptop and both give an error popup with no text. Wine isn't a super feasible system on a server though. It can behave oddly at times.
If you're able to get a working Linux server program working that would be amazing!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

What was the error message?
StarWraith 3D Games
d3drocks
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by d3drocks »

Vice wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm What was the error message?
There was no text in it. it was odd.

I also tried your Linux server. It gave me the following error
"Error: Could not find image: bitmapfont32b.png in main.agc at line 91"
edit: found some of the missing files in the windows server install trying again.

EDIT2: I was able to get the Linux server kit you provided working. It's not GUI-less, but it's a start! I'll have to check and see how minimal a setup is needed to get it running.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, I'll put together another variation and send it your way to try shortly.

Edit: Revised build sent.
StarWraith 3D Games