I don't understand what Evochron Legacy SE is?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Destroy
Ensign
Ensign

I don't understand what Evochron Legacy SE is?

Post by Destroy »

Yes I quickly read the announcements and other posts but I'm a dummy and need the cliff notes version of info.

Is EL:SE basically EL 2? Why/why not?

Is EL:SE officially out? The main web site certainly talks about it.

Is EL:SE a free update for owners of EL? I'm not receiving an auto patch update for the ability to get SE.

Will EL owners get reduced update cost?

There is a huge list of changes and announcement text from EL to EL:SE, what are the key points that the average gamer will actually notice GAMEPLAY wise? I don't care about faster running or easier controller mapping, that was all perfectly fine before.

Sorry if I missed this info somewhere.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I don't understand what Evochron Legacy SE is?

Post by Vice »

Is EL:SE basically EL 2? Why/why not?
Yes, it's effectively a version 2.0 update. As for why, it's technically an update to an existing game with significant changes/improvements. 'SE' is just the later naming convention I'm using for the later updates, starting with Arvoch Alliance last year.
Is EL:SE officially out? The main web site certainly talks about it.
Yes.
Is EL:SE a free update for owners of EL? I'm not receiving an auto patch update for the ability to get SE.
It is a free optional update. You can stay with the 'classic' version if you like if you are playing the direct download version (or install 'SE' separately), or upgrade at your convenience if/when you might want to by simply downloading the new installer. The 'SE' version can be installed alongside the original and doesn't override or replace it. Likewise, those that have the 'SE' version installed can install the original version alongside separately.
Will EL owners get reduced update cost?
There is no cost. The update is free for all existing owners of the original version.
There is a huge list of changes and announcement text from EL to EL:SE, what are the key points that the average gamer will actually notice GAMEPLAY wise? I don't care about faster running or easier controller mapping, that was all perfectly fine before.
Some key changes/improvements related to gameplay:

- Default radar range (ID and IFF) extended to 25K with 5K intervals.
- Long Range Radar equipment item range (no ID/IFF) extended to 50K.
- New options added to the quest system to destroy or damage other ships (details in sample file).
- New 'Sandbox Mode' added providing shortcuts to locations, weapons, equipment, cargo, repair, and credits.
- Player-to-player contract system expanded to permit one player hiring another player to destroy them (wager).
- Inertial compensator disabling of particle cannons at around 5K removed to allow firing particle cannons at very high speed.
- Rail Cannon added as a secondary weapon type (energy based, requires 8 hardpoints and charging), rarely available for sale at some planet-side locations.
- Disruptors expanded to include knocking out shield arrays on ships in range when detonated.
- Base engine and thruster performance increased across the board by 50%-100% (see notes).
- AI systems updated to increase detection and attack distances for new 25K radar range.
- Experimental terrain rovers now very rarely available at some planet-side locations.
- New Rocket Pack weapon type added (mounted to secondary hardpoints).
- New Torpedo weapon type added (mounted to secondary hardpoints).
- Comets added as new rare environmental entity.

Some visual/sound improvements that some may consider enhance gameplay:

- Directional audio system implemented for various external sound effects.
- New explosion effects with debris that 'burns away' with an orange-red color tone.
- New lighting system and effects implemented for explosions, weapon flashes, and tractor beam.
- New shader effect implemented for asteroid explosions to render a smoke/dust based explosion rather than fire based.
- Spark effect applied to cockpit displays when taking direct weapon impact damage.
- Elevation indicators added to 3D radar mode ship and object contact blips.

There is of course, quite a bit more. But this is probably an adequate list of some of the highlights in the realm of gameplay.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Probably just as importantly, there are currently two MP servers hosting SE.
norc
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by norc »

And I've got some big plans for my SE Server ;)