Save points with Steam version

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Dynodino
Ensign
Ensign

Save points with Steam version

Post by Dynodino »

Hello everyone,

I've signed up to the forum owing to a schoolboy error. I'm 180 hours into the Evochron Mercenary game, and inadvertently saved my progress to my profile when I was over halfway between Sirius and Sol, a journey which doesn't have any warp gates.

I don't have the fuel to get to Sol, and even less to get back to Sirius.

I really need to restore an earlier save point, but have no idea where to find the relevant file, even if it exists, and bearing in mind that this is the Steam version.

Can anyone help please? It would take weeks at sublight velocities, even if it's possible......

Many Thanks

Dynodino
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Save points with Steam version

Post by Vice »

You could technically fly there at cruise speed, but it would indeed take a long time. Rescue by another player bringing you fuel is another option. But it might be most practical to send me your save game via e-mail (starwraith.com > contact) and I can relocate it for you. By default, the save games for EM are stored in c:\sw3dg\EvochronMercenary under the filenames pilot#.sw where '#' is the number of the slot the profile is in (starting with 0 for slot 1).

As a protective measure when doing risky travel routes in the future, you can save your progress in the other save slots, both in game or by copying the file and giving it a different number in its filename for a different slot.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Vice wrote:Rescue by another player bringing you fuel is another option.
I can think of two ways to rescue a stranded pilot. One, carry a refueling module. But I think that would require being near a star or a nebula. Two (which is how I would do it), would be for the stranded pilot to hitch a ride in the rescue ship (turret). Upon reaching a place to refuel, the hitchhiker jumps out and (viola!) finds his ship has followed him.
Dynodino
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dynodino »

Hello Vice,
Thanks for the quick response.
You're quite right, I should be saving in alternate slots or something. The fact that I saved it was simply force of habit. I clicked the wrong tab.
I'm currently cruising through 'Mercury System' and on my way to Sol at cruise speed as we speak, and have been all day.
I'll send the file now I know where it is.
You're a star, thanks.
Dyno.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

When you get ready to use the wormhole for the return trip, be advised: turn your back to the star before you jump.
Dynodino
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dynodino »

Well, Vice sent me a modified save file by return.

It worked perfectly, and I'm now back in the Sirius system instead of being stone dead in inter- system space.

Fantastic customer service, fantastic sim.

Thankyou very much.
Dynodino
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dynodino »

Wormhole? No spoilers please! :)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

No spoilers from me. Maybe from your science officer, if you have one.
Dynodino
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dynodino »

Marvin wrote:No spoilers from me. Maybe from your science officer, if you have one.
Yes, I discovered one in sapphire system when I hired a navigator. Tried numerous methods to go through, but kept exploding regardless of engine settings. Although I didn't try to go through backwards I confess. I'll maybe have another go once I've discovered the advantage of Terrain Walkers, which is my current occupation. Thanks for the tip!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

The thing about the jump drive is that it always maintains your current heading while flying directly toward your targeted jump point. In other words, a jump gate can be left, right or behind your heading but, after the jump, the gate is right in front of you. Which is why you should turn to either 360 or 180 before jumping to a gate (all gates are oriented that way ... as was pointed out to me after I kept lagging behind my wing mates while transiting from one star system to another).
Dynodino
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dynodino »

Marvin wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:15 pm When you get ready to use the wormhole for the return trip, be advised: turn your back to the star before you jump.
I now know what you mean. Good advice. I finally got to Sol system, then my science officer told me of a wormhole. I found it, saved, jumped through, and then found that my save point killed me instantly. :)

Just on the way back to start again now.... Ho hum. Ah well, at least I've earned $50m in the meantime. I love this game. ;)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Yup, otherwise the sun will blind you (even with low-light enabled). Making it a lot harder to find and enter the wormhole before gravity takes its toll. It's best to put the sun at your back, enable low-light, target the wormhole, and jump. Then the wormhole should be right in front of you, visible, and you can use AB to close the distance and enter.