Restocking from carrier?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Arvoch Alliance.
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Restocking from carrier?

Post by kmunoz »

Quintessential dumb question.

I watched a YouTube video of mission 1 and saw that the player was able to restock his missiles (and fuel, I think) from the carrier between segments of the mission. The YouTuber doesn't say anything (he's Spanish-speaking with an English-speaking audience, I guess? too bad - I speak Spanish :( ), so I couldn't quite see what he did. I went to the tutorials but couldn't find an answer.

So is it possible to restock and refuel at the carrier during the missions, and if so, how?

I'm a terrible player of all games and it took me 12 tries to finish mission 1. I went down to 6 fuel left by the end of my successful run. Would be nice if I could restock mid-mission - it would make my terrible playing less noticeably atrocious.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Restocking from carrier?

Post by Marvin »

Vice will correct me if I'm wrong but, if you do have the option to refuel and/or rearm, you do so by returning to the carrier and waiting. Keep an eye on your fuel gauge. If it doesn't increase after a couple minutes, then you can't refuel. Probably because fuel management is part of the mission requirements.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

For the current version of the latest game, in the campaign at least, the option isn't available at the carrier for the player as fuel and weapon management is part of the intended resource management equation in those missions. For the 2.0 update, many of the missions were retooled/updated to provide more weapons and fuel, but those resources are still considerations in that mode of the game. In the multiplayer battle modes however, you can park inside your base to reload (including CM's), refuel, and repair.

To reduce fuel consumption in particular, there are a couple of options/tips/tactics that can help:

- Change the difficulty to 'Easy' in the options menu (will help reduce fuel consuming enemy missile evasion and dogfights).
- Make sure to disengage the IDS (spacebar) when you make your jumps to waypoints, then reactivate it when you arrive.
- Use the afterburner sparingly. Instead, use high IDS scale settings to keep your speed high when needed.
- Try changing your ship's loadout when available to perhaps better align with your play style and destroy hostiles faster.
- Give careful orders to your wingmen to help eliminate hostile ships so you don't have to engage so many yourself.
- Set up battle scenarios in the multiplayer mode (which doubles as a freeflight and custom combat practice option) to increase your ability to destroy enemy ships faster and to try out different loadout configurations.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

Ok thanks! I must have been watching a pre-2.0 video.

As for the other advice, that'll help a lot! I did try to use high IDS scale and avoid afterburner, but I often ended up extremely far away from the enemy and was too impatient to do a slow turn. I need to develop better habits!
YaroslavUSSR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by YaroslavUSSR »

Hello, Vice! It was the question that tortured me after upgrading to Arvoch Alliance 2.0. Only imagine US navy pilots during the battle of Coral Sea.

-Hey, USS Lexington, my squadron spent all bombs and torpedoes and we are low on fuel.
-(Capt. F. C. Sherman) Ah, sorry, guys. Fuel and weapon management is part of the intended resource management equation in this mission. Wait, I see multiple dots on the radar...

You know what happened later with Lexington.
It is especially looking strange because I can refuel and reload missiles during patrol missions with many waypoints in Evochron. Especially in Evochron Legacy where I have to return to a carrier after you reduced fuel tank capacity of heavy strike crafts (Avenger->Chimera) which fuel consumption rate is horrible.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Fuel is indeed one of the most important considerations. You also wouldn't likely find pilots flying away from a battle to go back and refuel/reload during the middle of combat... back then, it could have taken hours and things would have been long over by the time they would have returned. The 10X increase in distances within the game paints a similar picture (and event sequencing/entity/proximity dependencies were additional reasons for consideration). Pulling away from an active battle for extended periods of time would likely just result in failure (jump drives are not point-to-point as in Evochron). While in Evochron you might have 5 waypoints to contend with, Arvoch limits to 3 max and the vast majority just 1. The fuel limits are also much higher in Evochron than in Arvoch (due in no small part to the travel longevity elements in the game). I'd also be puzzled if you were struggling to complete even 5 waypoint patrols in Evochron with 1500 fuel on board. Unless you're perhaps not filling your ship's fuel capacity before you start? Part of Evochron's gameplay strategy is ship configuration (such as selecting the right one and configuring it for longer patrols if those are what you want to fly), while Arvoch's strategy is more survival and resource conservation. But you should have no trouble finishing even the longest of patrols in Evochron with a Chimera's fuel capacity.

In Arvoch, mission objective limits (number of enemy fighters), capacities, and configurations have been adjusted to make them easier and more feasible with provided resources. You can also still refuel, repair, and reload in Arvoch in battle modes that extend gameplay beyond limited objective campaign missions. In dogfight, squadrons, and strike modes bases are available for such an option.

I'm not opposed to trying to introduce the option into the game, so long as it doesn't make things too easy/not challenging enough. If others have comments on subject, please post them here.

It'd be fun sometime to hop online and play the campaign cooperatively to see how it's being played, to offer some tips, and to team up for better odds.
StarWraith 3D Games
YaroslavUSSR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by YaroslavUSSR »

Vice wrote: I'd also be puzzled if you were struggling to complete even 5 waypoint patrols in Evochron with 1500 fuel on board. Unless you're perhaps not filling your ship's fuel capacity before you start? <...> But you should have no trouble finishing even the longest of patrols in Evochron with a Chimera's fuel capacity.
No, I came to a conclusion that my pilot skills are low for Chimera. I wrote in this thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13116 that Vonari in Legacy are smarter and I am not able to fight them in Chimera anymore. Clashes are harder and I have to spend more fuel to shoot enemies one by one. But at least in EM Chimera had 3000 units fuel tank. 1500 is toooo low.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting, it is good then that you can refuel in that situation.

I'll plan on adding the ability to refuel, reload, and repair to Arvoch during campaign missions by returning to the carrier. If anyone wants advanced access to a pre-release test build to try it out, just send me a quick reminder e-mail in a few days as it should be ready by then.
StarWraith 3D Games
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

I could have sworn I saw a post about the new version in the last day or so...? Did it disappear or am I blind?

Either way, when attempting to download the current version (xxxx28), the dropbox link stalls at 0 bytes.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I have been preparing a test build for implementing the reload, repair, and refuel option to the game for which I can send download details to you via e-mail if you'd like to try it out (just send me a quick e-mail from where you'd like the instructions sent via starwraith.com > contact). Beta testers have some specific details/instructions in a post sent to them, but I'm not sure how that might have appeared externally. As for dropbox, I just tested the link and it seems to be working correctly for me. Perhaps they were having an issue briefly or something else was/is causing an issue with it?
StarWraith 3D Games
kmunoz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kmunoz »

Well, I can download it from my registration email, but from the demo page it went to dropbox and then got stuck.

As it happens I already have the 728 version (I wasn't sure); I hadn't found the version number in the menu screens until just now. And I think perhaps I saw the announcement for 728 but misread the date.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The update is now available (you can use the link in your registration e-mail or when the game prompts you). Flying back to the carrier for a reload/refuel/repair stop may not always be the most advisable option (considering how some missions are pretty time dependent), so it'll probably be best reserved as kind of an emergency option, but it is now available in the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
YaroslavUSSR
Ensign
Ensign

Post by YaroslavUSSR »

Great news! Thank you!