The Expanse

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
WhiteFang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Expanse

Post by WhiteFang »

I basically never watch TV ever. Big Red Dwarf fan though.

Started watching "The Expanse" on Netflix.

Watched 14 episodes in 2 days.

I obviously love space.....and gatling guns in space :)

I like the detective character, same age as me, 49. Like a cross between Harrison Ford in Bladerunner (my all time favourite movie) and James Caan in Thief.

Then I boot up Evochron Legacy.......I am there...........
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Expanse

Post by Marvin »

Maybe somebody should write a quest about a space detective or a crew suckered into a pirate's trap (I guess nobody aboard that ship ever heard of Star Trek II and the Kobayashi Maru). I think it could be done ... maybe ... I'm not sure ... I've only seen a couple episodes of The Expanse. (I know Rocinante in his original form.) But such a quest might be very interesting.
Rocinante
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rocinante »

Yes! My username should be a give away but the Expanse show and the books they are based on are great, I love space series that stay to the harder end of sci-fi.
Marvin wrote:... I know Rocinante in his original form.
Heh.
She's still a horse that charges at windmills, she just has a railgun now.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Just finished watching up through episode 4 or 5 ... where the Martian battlecruiser self-destructed. Interesting series. I assume you know where they got the name Rocinante but, if not, you might want to check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocinante. I've given the same name to some of my own ships. And tend to do it more often now that I've probably reached Don Quixote's age. Tally ho!
Rocinante
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rocinante »

Marvin wrote:... I assume you know where they got the name Rocinante but...
haha my "charging at windmills' was a reference to Don Quixote, and the Author of the Expanse is intentionally invoking the story with the name and the crew of the Rocinante's quixotic actions.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

At least Don Quixote had an excuse. He was old and probably just a little bit senile. Nonetheless, he was a tough bird ... until Cervantes compounded Quixote's bumps and bruises in Book II to stop all the flagrant plagiarism and besmirching of our hero's character.

Image Image