Hi Vice, and the very active community.

General discussion (space-sim gaming, astronomy, and sci-fi entertainment in general, etc.).
Tiger
Ensign
Ensign

Hi Vice, and the very active community.

Post by Tiger »

Hi all, expecially Vice,

It's been a long time since I was here, got side tracked with work and life, and raising children. Now the children are pretty much grown up, and fled the nest, my son works at BAE now, designing the next generation of starfighters (joke), I've learnt to ride motorbikes, sold my business (but still working in it), and thought I'd pay my old pal Vice a visit.

Some of you may recognise my wife (not sure if she's still being used though) - she's the bitching betty, and I'm not going to say how that compares at home!

Any way, thought I might download and play one or two of the games, maybe brush off the old joystick, come online, and die lots (oh, how I remember the hours of beta testing we used to do!)

Saw a few months ago that DBPro had gone open source, are you still writing in this Vice, I've just downloaded a copy (I no longer use my own veterinary database, had to switch to the nw owners preferred choice), so I've got some programming play time now. Any tips / tweaks to get the best out of it, and if you aren't programming in DBP, then what?

It's great to see that the SW community has thrived so well I must say.

Any way, cheers for now,

Chris
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hi Vice, and the very active community.

Post by Vice »

Hi Chris. Wow, it has been a long time! Good to hear from you and welcome back.

The IM group flies some Sundays on a public server and we do still have occasional beta testing on private servers. You'll probably find it's pretty quiet for online public multiplayer, many these days seem to meet up with friends/family on their own private servers (most of the e-mails inquiries I get these days are along those lines and when I've played/helped with tech support for people over the last year or two, it's almost always been on private servers).

Yes, I do still use DBPro, although a modified/customized updated version of it to do some things I need it to do. Depending on what you'd want to do, I'd recommend the 9Ex version available over on TGC's forum ( https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/217979?page=1 ), or if you're handy with C++, modify the source of the original as may be desired. Evochron Legacy is likely my last solo game on such a scale, I'll likely either go in a simpler direction for a next project (mobile or more simple PC title).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hi Vice, and the very active community.

Post by Marvin »

All of a sudden I don't feel so old. ::)