[EL] New HUD Mod

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Sinbad »

This HUD is a variation of the F-16 HUD which I made for Evochron Mercenary. This new variation retains the F-16 style features, such as the central pitch-ladder and simplified icon symbology. But it now has a slightly more sci-fi feel, with a silver-blue colour, round target-lock indicators, and triangular cross-hairs.

Also included are:
Compass mod with station docking bay headings (by Caleb).
Move chat text further to left (by MiaZ).
Shield % and cargo bay info.

Download link: EL HUD

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Bodega »

Nice Sinbad. I like this one a lot.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Sinbad »

Thanks Bodega, glad you like it. The different coloured target missile-lock gives a nice effect when it's rotating... can't really see that well in the screen shot.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by matchbox2022 »

Is the missile lock supposed to change colour? Mine rotates but no change in colour once locked.

Only had a tiny chance to play with it.

FYI.
Sinbad, this is AWESOME / Best HUD ever.
Do, or do not, there is no try.
- An Asian father.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by matchbox2022 »

Is the missile lock supposed to change colour? Mine rotates but no change in colour once locked.

Only had a tiny chance to play with it.

FYI.
Sinbad, this is AWESOME / Best HUD ever.
- An Asian father.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Sinbad »

Hey Matchbox! Happy you like this one. No the missile lock doesn't actually change colour... what I meant in the previous post is simply that it is a different colour to the target lock. So instead of having the missile lock red when it is a red target, or green when it is a green target etc, it's always blue. I thought that gives a nice effect because of the contrast as it rotates.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Benzin
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Benzin »

This is great Sinbad! thanks!
Im using it and I like it a lot more than the vanilla one.

As a suggestion, the only thing i would change, is make the horizon line at the middle a bit shorter. :)
Oblivion Wolf
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Oblivion Wolf »

Thank you soooo much! I absolutely loved the F16 mod, now all we need is a new perch.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by matchbox2022 »

That might come faster than you think, apparently it works with some texture renaming, just not the right places.
The original owner could likely fix it with just a little work.
- An Asian father.
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by MiaZ »

Looks good.
thx I'm going to try this. : )

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by MiaZ]
Marco
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Marco »

From post: 186531, Topic: tid=12525, author=Benzin wrote:... As a suggestion, the only thing i would change, is make the horizon line at the middle a bit shorter. :)
I kinda like it Long. it makes noticing the "horizon" a lot easier when in combat, or doing evasive maneuvers. Ir defiantly helps in doing a "Hot Jump." :D
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Sinbad »

From post: 186531, Topic: tid=12525, author=Benzin wrote:As a suggestion, the only thing i would change, is make the horizon line at the middle a bit shorter. :)
It would be easy enough for me to upload another version with a shorter horizon line. How short would you want it exactly?

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Misunderstood Wookie »

I really like this HUD. Excellent work SinBad.

If you would like an installer for this let me know. (I'll need a logo and terms of use text file though)

[Edited on 3/15/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Sinbad »

Thanks MW, at the moment no need for an installer. :)

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Kamiyami
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Kamiyami »

Absolutely love this HUD. It's extremely functional and pleasing to the eye. It's the only mod I have installed, as I'm not so much for modding in general, but the look of this HUD and the extremely functional pitch ladder and compass make it hard to resist.

Only other mod I would probably use would be one that gave a digital pitch reading, if such a thing is possible. I'm actually a little surprised that isn't something in the core design. Pitch ladders are classic cool, but in a game where -everything- is digitally numeric(and mostly in multiple locations) it seems odd to just leave that one out.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Very nice looking! I can't wait to try it.

Downloaded.
Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

[EL] New HUD Mod

From the screenshots I only have some advice for this hud, 1 its better than the one I made currently but that is okay, I guess I was the guinea pig who included all the text files for gauges and things someone has to try it first am I right... :P

As for the suggestions
The right display console as you can see the target is by default imo and this might just be my own tastes but I moved the target display up a little higher so that the target hologram was not below the projector looking thing. It just for me anyway looks better when its sitting just above the circle for this you will need to open up guages.txt and change the target display vertical pos.

Secondly you may already know but Vice released a Cockpit tool recently which allows you to preview cockpit and HUD changes in real time just like the HULL model tool.

So anything you can change in the HUD folder can be displayed in real-time in his amazing new modding tool, I cannot stress enough how much this tool is going to help us modders, really it even includes the default cockpit so finally we can mod the cockpit model and actually smooth it out which is what I am going to be working on since I was waiting for this as well.
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by matchbox2022 »

That's a pretty cool tool, could maybe get perch working then :P..

I have one question / suggestion, this HUD is great, and the one with the slightly bigger radar to look holographic is great, I wish it was a teeeeny bit smaller, like 110% or something, just enough to look holographic.

That's an aside though
The suggestion / request

How can we increase the size of the 3D model of the craft targetted (right HUD lower panel) ? It looks a lot like xwing vs tie fighter or even ED's feel to it, if only it "looked" holographic, but that wouldn't be that hard to do at all, just make it bigger, move it a bit and like the radar, boom. hologram.

Any ideas for that area of the HUD specifically?

[Edited on 3-17-2016 by matchbox2022]
- An Asian father.
Radikal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Radikal »

Very nice mod, great work. :cool:
I used most with slight changes. I labeled waypoint and navpoint markers, use Marvin's target pointers, and kept regular compass because I like seeing the numbers instead of hanger door number.

Look forward to seeing more.

(Love the pitch ladder.)
_-Caleb-_
Captain
Captain

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by _-Caleb-_ »

wow! Gracias Sinbad! :)
matchbox2022
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by matchbox2022 »

bump if anyone with cockpit skills knows how to input new textures / knows an idea on how to make the 3D target viewer larger.
- An Asian father.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Sinbad: this is a top-notch HUD. I really like it. So much, so, that I do not need to create my own HUD. Great work!

The only thing I would have done differently would be the compass. I like to read the headings, but that's a trivial thing.

Thanks for posting.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Sinbad »

if anyone with cockpit skills knows how to input new textures / knows an idea on how to make the 3D target viewer larger.
Hey Matchbox, I'm afraid my modding skills only go so far as creating simple png images! Anything more complex than that I leave for more talented people! In the hayday of Legends and Mercenary there were a lot of excellent modders around... almost seemed like a new cockpit or ship frame mod every week.
The only thing I would have done differently would be the compass. I like to read the headings
Thanks Nigel_strange, glad you like it! There is another compass mod which has the station docking bays on, but also keeps the regular heading markers. I think it's on SeeJay's website.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Misunderstood Wookie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

[EL] New HUD Mod

From post: 186758, Topic: tid=12525, author=matchbox2022 wrote: How can we increase the size of the 3D model of the craft targeted (right HUD lower panel) ?
I managed to import a custom cockpit mesh of my own design recently and it works just fine :D.

Yes you can increase the size of the targeting display "Target orientation indicator distance position" sets how near or far the targeting hologram is, further away it will become smaller and closer it gets larger. Not to be confused with any of the SCALE settings in the guages.txt there is NO setting for Target Hologram Scale only for the Radar Hologram.

Keep in mind changing the distance position will require adjustment of the "Target orientation indicator vertical position" & "Target orientation indicator horizontal position" to make this line up correctly where you need it.

Essentially what the distance pos does is move the hologram closer or further from the camera setting these correctly and you can make the hologram part of the windscreen if you wanted too, I actually tested this for giggles while re making my gauges for a cockpit mesh I was testing.
From post: 186809, Topic: tid=12525, author=matchbox2022 wrote:bump if anyone with cockpit skills knows how to input new textures / knows an idea on how to make the 3D target viewer larger.
Can help you with this aswell. The Evochron Legacy Cockpit Viewer has the .DDS textures you need to replace the cockpit textures. I already asked vice and NO you do not need separate texture for the cockpit display mesh. You will need a tool which can import textures and export .DDS compressed textures (DXT5) I updated the tools thread Vice created with additional helpful programs.

For custom meshes you will need to understand how to wrap your mesh and create the UV wrap in your mesh editor so that applied textures will actually map correctly for this I cannot explain you will need to just practice practice practice :P as it takes fine tuning. Check the modding kit manual for the names of the cockpit texture files and what they are. Primarly you will be working with these two "ccpit1-high.dds" & "ccpit2-high.dds" the "-high stands for the visaul quality setting in-game so high meaning the game will be running with HIGH presets otherwise these will not apply.

You need to create three total if you wish to cover all detail settings in-game one for Low Med and High. Usually they will in these resolutions from low-high 256x256 512x512 and finally 1027x1027 if you are confident you can make them larger, say 2048x2048 for twice the image data available at the cost of more VRAM.

Furthermore, you will also need to do this process for each of the other texture maps required (Shader,Lights,Glass) The process is pretty simple just use the defaults found in the Evochron Legacy Cockpit Viewer as it contains all of the required materials in .dds format ready for edits they are however B&W.

Keep in mind what I said above about quality levels if you wish for your custom textures to work in lower than high quality you need to make two more with smaller image sizes in powers of two and rename the file accordingly.

I will update this post with better info later. Hope this helps mate.

[Edited on 3/25/2016 by Misunderstood Wookie]
Benzin
Ensign
Ensign

[EL] New HUD Mod

Post by Benzin »

From post: 186573, Topic: tid=12525, author=Sinbad wrote:
From post: 186531, Topic: tid=12525, author=Benzin wrote:As a suggestion, the only thing i would change, is make the horizon line at the middle a bit shorter. :)
It would be easy enough for me to upload another version with a shorter horizon line. How short would you want it exactly?
Hello Sinbad!, sorry i dint see your reply untill now.
I have become acustomed to the large line (i use your hud permanently), no need to change it. :)
thanks! and thanks for this great mod!