[ELServer] Odd server behavior *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Janus »

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this. This could very well be a problem with the host machine itself or maybe just the nature of the beast. But when Starport 6 starts up it runs the server program automatically. And it fills the screen. If I close it and then double click on the server program it starts up taking up about 3/4's of the screen. And the CPU resourses are lower and the FPS is higher. Screenshots are below.

Started by double clicking the program in Remote Desktop

[img=1280x713]http://i500.photobucket.com/albums/e410 ... g~original[/img]

Started by machine automatically on startup

[img=1280x721]http://i500.photobucket.com/albums/e410 ... g~original[/img]

Notice how the CPU resources are lower and the FPS are higher in the top picture.

I wrote a program that will start the server and put that program in the startup folder. It uses a process.start routine. But it calls it up just fine as in the top picture when I double click on it. Text8.dat has screen resolution set at 800X600.

Any ideas, or is this a resolution problem? Meaning that the resolution is lower when Remote Desktop on the host machine isn't actively connected.

[Edited on 2-3-2016 by Marvin]
ADMIN Starport 6
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That is indeed kind of strange. Lets see if this changes things:

- Open the screenmode.txt file in notepad. Edit lines 1 and 2 to read 800 and 600 respectively if that's the resolution you want to target for testing. Check to make sure that matches what's selected in line 800 of the text8.dat file.

- In line 800 of the text8.dat file, make sure the 'X' between the horizontal and vertical is capitalized.

If that doesn't help, perhaps there is something right after startup that is not finishing the screen settings so the program defaults to something near a windowed full screen mode. With the screenmode.txt file set to match line 800 in the text8.dat file, you instruct the program for a double pass on setting its resolution, which may change the behavior.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
mcomeau
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mcomeau »

I recommend using Microsoft's tools to see what is happening at startup. They have an app called autoruns which will show you what the parameters are, etc, and the ability to deactivate the startup of that particular app.
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Janus »

That did it. It was the 800X600 I had in line 800. I removed that and it works fine. Sorry for the mix-up. I figured since it was on a server in a datacenter that I would have to limit the resolution. And I didn't even know about the screen mode, but it works fine with line 800 blank and 1024X768 in Screenmode.txt.

Thanks again.
ADMIN Starport 6
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, glad it's sorted, thanks for the follow up.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations