[EL] No Stations on Multiplayer *SOLVED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

I though it was weird when I started the game and was visibly launched out of a station in the multiplayer and I turned arround there was no station.

After running low on fuel I decided to stop exploring an find a station with my friend. We haven't really seen any AI ships nor any stations so we looked on map. No stations. I look in the server files. I find the station locations. We head there... No stations.

I don't know why but there are no stations for us to see or interact with.
I am running the server program in 2D mode because 3D mode crashes my game or the server when I run both on the same machine.

Am I supposed to do something to get stations working? They just don't seem to exist at all in my game. What can I do and what do I need to give you information wise to find out?

EDIT: SOLVED
From post: 182991, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote:
- Create a text file where the EvochronLegacyServer.exe file is located named savedir.txt and in that file in the first line enter the drive letter of where you want the program to look for your universemulti.txt file. So for example, if you wanted to use the H drive, you would enter this in the first line:

H:

Then save the file. The server program will add the standard sub folders automatically, so the program will append the string to read:

H:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer\\

And that’s where the universemulti.txt file should be located. You can add other subfolder names as desired in case you need to. Just leave off the ‘\\’ at the end since the program will add it for you. Once the server program locates the file, it should work correctly.
[Edited on 1-21-2016 by DeathTech]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

When running the 3D server, you'll need to launch the game first, then the server program. Otherwise, using the 2D server is an alternative. This may change in the future if the 3D server program is updated to use the same higher DirectX functionality as the client, but for now, it's dependency on DX 9.0c will produce that error in the client if you launch the server first.

Lets check the basics for the other issue:

Did you install the server program to its own dedicated folder, or did you place it in the same folder as the client?

Did you install it to a protected folder (ie program files (x86)), or the default c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer folder?

Do you have any 3rd party/security software that would block the server program from being allowed to mange its own data files?

Is the universemulti.txt file located in the same folder where you have the server program installed?

Did you verify that the UDP port remains open/available for you and your friend as clients (ie firewall, router, etc)?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

Did you install the server program to its own dedicated folder, or did you place it in the same folder as the client?
- It is located in H:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer

Did you install it to a protected folder (ie program files (x86)), or the default c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer folder?
- Unlike most people I don't install games or programs to the same drive as my operating system.
- It is in H:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer this folder is most definitely NOT protected.

Do you have any 3rd party/security software that would block the server program from being allowed to mange its own data files?
- I have no anti-virus or anti-malware shield that would block interactions related to ports.

Is the universemulti.txt file located in the same folder where you have the server program installed?
-H:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer\\universemulti.txt & H:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacyServer\\universemulti-bak.txt
- They are both there and accounted for, and when reading it I definitely see the stations.
- But not in-game when connected to the server. When i'm in-game there is just empty space at the locations.

Did you verify that the UDP port remains open/available for you and your friend as clients (ie firewall, router, etc)?
- I changed the ports to comply with the hosting I provide as a service to friends.
- Those ports are : 27017, 27018
- They are both port forwarded UDP and TCP and should be fully operating.

- I used a port checker and it reported 27017 was open.
- I used a port checker and it reported 27018 was (closed or non-responsive to ping).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If you can see your friend in multiplayer, but station modules don't spawn, that suggests the 2D server program's timer for synching data may not be advancing as needed. The 3D server program is less sensitive to this, so you could try that by starting the client first, then the server program to see if they then appear. If so, then you should be able to go back to the 2D program. Check lines 801 and 802 in the text8.dat config file. First try a value of 60 in line 801 and leave 802 with a value of 1. Then launch the 2D server program, then client and test for changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
meatloaf
Ensign
Ensign

Post by meatloaf »

same issue,

win 7 ultimate 64 bit SP1
i5-3470 @ 3.2 Ghz
AMD R9 280
8GB ram

i installed the server program in it's default location, in root right next to my evochron mercenaries server folder. i uninstalled and put it in with the steam folder, didn't help. both times, it had a populated universemulti.dat file, should i try changing the file type?

my two ports are open, a friend joined my server and could not see the stations either.

you gave me an idea about the server not being allowed to manage it's own files, i'm going to try to run as admin, and change the .dat file to .txt

there are a few people with this issue http://steamcommunity.com/app/398170/di ... 864529808/
desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

I am running into the exact same issue.

I've tried both the 3D and 2D servers but the 2D will simply stall and never run.

The 2D server launches three processes, which seem to stall.

The 3D server runs fine when I launch it after the game client. I can see my friend and some ships in space, but I can never see any stations or planets.

The game is installed outside of the protected program files directories and I have disabled antivirus/firewall to no effect.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

For those using the 2D program, check the timing option I mentioned above.

For the other program, the client may not be receiving the data or the server isn't broadcasting it for some reason. What are the FPS and CPU stats you see in the server window when it is running?

Also, have you changed the values in lines 801 or 802 yet to test with?
StarWraith 3D Games
desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

From post: 182951, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: For those using the 2D program, check the timing option I mentioned above.

For the other program, the client may not be receiving the data or the server isn't broadcasting it for some reason. What are the FPS and CPU stats you see in the server window when it is running?

Also, have you changed the values in lines 801 or 802 yet to test with?
3D Client, since I can't get 2D to launch -

FPS 59, CPU 1

There are two green bars next to the cpu reading -
The top one has a little pip to the far left, and doesn't move.
The bottom of the two bars has the little pip advancing along the line every second or so.

Even after completely uninstalling and reinstalling, while connected from my local client using the 192 address of the server I see no stations or cities, but I do see a handful of NPCs but no radio chatter.

' This line sets the maximum FPS value
801=60
' This line sets the vertical sync value
802=1
' This line lets you specify the CPU use level, range is 0 to 25 (leave blank for optimized)
810=

[Edited on 1-21-2016 by desius]
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

From post: 182946, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: If you can see your friend in multiplayer, but station modules don't spawn, that suggests the 2D server program's timer for synching data may not be advancing as needed. The 3D server program is less sensitive to this, so you could try that by starting the client first, then the server program to see if they then appear. If so, then you should be able to go back to the 2D program. Check lines 801 and 802 in the text8.dat config file. First try a value of 60 in line 801 and leave 802 with a value of 1. Then launch the 2D server program, then client and test for changes.
So I tried the 3D version as you said. My crash did not occur again. Stations are still not present.
So I checked the value of 801 and 802 and made a confusing discovery.
' This line sets the maximum FPS value
801=0 <--- Is that supposed to be 0?

I will check if it fixes when I put it to 60.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, 0 allows the default value to apply, but changing it to 60 is a good test to try.

Also, be sure you connect to the local LAN IP for the system you are hosting with, even if it's the same system you are running the client on.

I just tested it and it's been working well for me. If you'd like to try the test build with a newer display system, just send me a quick e-mail and I'll send the link back.
StarWraith 3D Games
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

Didn't change anything sadly.
Also I am definitely connecting on local ip 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

Alright I will send you an e-mail.
EDIT: Apparantly I can't do U2U untill 5 posts. And I don't know your personal e-mail so do I send a mail to [email protected] ?

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yes, always available through starwraith.com > contact
StarWraith 3D Games
desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

Update - I was able to start the 2D client. Unfortunately there was no change.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

From post: 182958, Topic: tid=12240, author=desius wrote:Update - I was able to start the 2D client. Unfortunately there was no change.
Can I ask, have you loaded into single player at all?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Does the behavior change at all if you launch the server program with the 'Run as administrator' option? Also, I'd still be interested in what FPS and CPU values are displayed on the lower right display panel in the server window.
StarWraith 3D Games
desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

From post: 182959, Topic: tid=12240, author=DeathTech wrote:
From post: 182958, Topic: tid=12240, author=desius wrote:Update - I was able to start the 2D client. Unfortunately there was no change.
Can I ask, have you loaded into single player at all?
I have tried a profile which has a little single player flight time, and a blank profile which has only tried multiplayer.
From post: 182960, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: Does the behavior change at all if you launch the server program with the 'Run as administrator' option? Also, I'd still be interested in what FPS and CPU values are displayed on the lower right display panel in the server window.
I have tried both normal and administrator launches (win7 ultimate) the CPU is either 0 or 1, and the FPS in 3d client shows 59, 2D shows 60.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

From post: 182960, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: Does the behavior change at all if you launch the server program with the 'Run as administrator' option? Also, I'd still be interested in what FPS and CPU values are displayed on the lower right display panel in the server window.
I retried running the server with the testbuild. (With Run as Admin)
No change.
EDIT: Also tried with a new created profile after first going on single player.

desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

From post: 182966, Topic: tid=12240, author=DeathTech wrote:
I retried running the server with the testbuild. (With Run as Admin)
No change.
EDIT: Also tried with a new created profile after first going on single player.

Same. Beta build as normal or administrator had no change.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Hmm, well I'm not sure what it could be then. That's about the only cause that comes to mind which could be a program-side issue. Have you tried using the default ports just to rule out any possible protocol issue or block issue? Do you have a spare system you could try running the program on using the same LAN, then try connecting to it that way (over the new LAN IP for the other system)?
StarWraith 3D Games
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

From post: 182969, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: Hmm, well I'm not sure what it could be then. That's about the only cause that comes to mind which could be a program-side issue. Have you tried using the default ports just to rule out any possible protocol issue or block issue? Do you have a spare system you could try running the program on using the same LAN, then try connecting to it that way (over the new LAN IP for the other system)?
I will reset ports to default and reroute my port forwarding just to check.

EDIT: Nothing changed when changing the ports for me.
EDIT2: I tested those ports again. Same result as before, what exactly is the use of port 24889 ?

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Another test that could be run, if you have a profile with a build constructor and some metal ore, would be to build one small module anywhere in the game. Once built, check to see that the universemulti.txt file was properly updated.

A couple of things might happen. The file is updated, but has a less than 1K filesize. If that happens, then it means the server program was unable to load the default module data when it first started and the problem is in the program being blocked or otherwise interfered with its read/write operations.

Another would be, the file is not updated and continues to carry its original timestamp. This would indicate a similar read/write problem.

Lastly, the save works successfully, all of the old data is present plus the new data for the new module you build. This would indicate all read/write operations are being allowed on the system, so the problem is in the connection somewhere not allowing the data packet for the modules to be sent on through to the clients.

Another possibility might be a problem with how the text8.dat file was original edited. If you e-mail me the file you are using, I can take a look at it to see if there might be a problem there.
StarWraith 3D Games
desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

From post: 182972, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: Another test that could be run, if you have a profile with a build constructor and some metal ore, would be to build one small module anywhere in the game. Once built, check to see that the universemulti.txt file was properly updated.

A couple of things might happen. The file is updated, but has a less than 1K filesize. If that happens, then it means the server program was unable to load the default module data when it first started and the problem is in the program being blocked or otherwise interfered with its read/write operations.

Another would be, the file is not updated and continues to carry its original timestamp. This would indicate a similar read/write problem.

Lastly, the save works successfully, all of the old data is present plus the new data for the new module you build. This would indicate all read/write operations are being allowed on the system, so the problem is in the connection somewhere not allowing the data packet for the modules to be sent on through to the clients.

Another possibility might be a problem with how the text8.dat file was original edited. If you e-mail me the file you are using, I can take a look at it to see if there might be a problem there.
I don't have a profile that far along in the game to have a constructor, but in my last reply I did zip the text8.dat for review.
DeathTech
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DeathTech »

From post: 182972, Topic: tid=12240, author=Vice wrote: Another test that could be run, if you have a profile with a build constructor and some metal ore, would be to build one small module anywhere in the game. Once built, check to see that the universemulti.txt file was properly updated.

Do I remember somewhere it said that if there is no universemulti.txt it will create a new one? Because I deleted it and it didn't care either way.
Nor did it create a new one.

And sadly I do not have a character with a build drive. I meant to test that idea aswell 3 hours ago but I forgot I needed one so the metal I mined had come to waste.

I will go see if I can acquire one and test that theory if I can.
Will check regularly for other ideas you may have.

EDIT: I send you a new e-mail with the file attached. I hope it helps.

desius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by desius »

Other things I've tried:

I've tried setting the server to XP SP3 and Vista SP2 compatabily modes.

I've tried forcing the affinity of the server to high and locking it to a single cpu.

I've tried saving both the the text8.dat and universemulti.txt in ANSI, Unicode, and UTF8.

I checked the file and directory permissions and saw nothing problematic.

I even went so far as clearing the attribute/owner info from the text files in case it mattered.

The server seems to load text8 fine anyway, since it is able to pull config settings, server name, etc..

Just tried uninstalling/reinstalling into a different directory. I launched 3d client without touching any text files - changed server name through interface, no change.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It won't create a new universemulti.txt file until a build operation is completed. But you can restore the values to replace any that were lost/delete with the included universemulti-bak.txt file, just load the file and save it as universemulti.txt to restore default station modules.

Both text8.dat files look fine. I'm now browsing code to try and find a possible program-side cause.
StarWraith 3D Games