[EL 1.01X] X55 does not work properly in Windows 10 *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

X55 works in EM and all other games, but not properly in EL

Post by NLS »

From post: 185073, Topic: tid=12237, author=Vice wrote:That may be some kind of proprietary setup then, something out of range of the 32 button indexes I can access. I'll look further into it, but if this new system can't pick it up, it will probably have to be mapped in their own proprietary software.

Edit: Looks like the new control system can scan values above that limit and indeed, the SLD slider does return a signal on index 34 when moved out. So I'm including support for that in the next update.
(BTW Vice you miss a reverse throttle TOGGLE button - I don't want to hold a button pressed for reverse, I want a toggle - think about it, thanks)
Not missed, that's what the full range toggle is for. I still keep the reverse switch on the G button on the throttle though for time of quick reverse, then release to return to forward only. Otherwise, use the full range toggle for reverse throttle.
About SLD:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... pid=184666

Well if you read my posts better, you would already know it maps to #34. :D :D :D (I am usually that thorough, this is why many devs wanted my beta testing over the years)

About reverse throttle:

I know about full range and doesn't suit me.
I'll probably write this as a proper feature request...
It's just an extra mapping, in addition to button "hold for reverse", a button for "toggle reverse".

To be honest, I have most controls mapped as close as possible to the mapping I have in ED (ahem) and I normally use the button of the top rotary to toggle forward to reverse thrust.

If you don't implement this, the SLD button will work anyway (as it "holds" pressed), which actually cannot be mapped in ED. ;) (so you top them in this :D)

---

It's good you have X-55 and we are "on the same page". Is it your best HOTAS yet or what? Definitely is mine.

[Edited on 12-2-2016 by NLS]
---
NLS
Valkyrient
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Valkyrient »

From post: 185073, Topic: tid=12237, author=Vice wrote:
Rechecked and all my axis are working, even "thumb mouse" reports as two extra axis (most games ignore it).
Hadn't noticed that, interesting. I'll try it myself. It must return a valid axis signals where as the one below doesn't.
As far as I know the mouse only shows up as axes if you've done a specific registry hack to allow it to happen. There's various places on reddit that explain how to do this. The X55 throttle apparently has a couple of unused axes and this registry hack assigns the mouse nub to those.

[Edited on 2-13-2016 by Valkyrient]

[Edited on 2-13-2016 by Valkyrient]
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

I know that but HAVEN'T done it on my system.

Also in my default Rhino profile they are "empty". So it's not something I did.

They just work like that with the new system Vice made and I can't complain. :)
---
NLS
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

so just as a follow up, a clean win10 install, brand new drivers, and all prereqs etc seems to have everything working, and still working after a reboot woo

the only problem i'm having now is that the F knob on the throttle seems to be stuck at max, got a screenshot here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =624358633

is anyone seeing similar? rolling it either direction doesnt make it unstick, but all other knobs/axes are working fine

oddly enough, if i go over to joy.cpl after all this fresh install, i get a test tab for the stick but NOT for the throttle. these friggin drivers..

edit: also, in the rhino software that knob isnt doing anything..weird

[Edited on 2-14-2016 by Eduardolicious]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

F knob working fine here across the board. Maybe a defective unit? Are you running the beta driver from September?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

mine are the 7.0.53.6 drivers, the info on them says they were published in january 2016 and i just got them from the main download site, no beta etc

if its broken it just happened to align perfectly with this whole driver fiasco but knowing my luck thats probably the case
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Hmmm indeed new driver release.
Will test tonight.
---
NLS
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

yeah let me know if you see a similar issue, but if it doesnt happen for anyone else (and im on fresh OS + fresh driver) i'm going to have to kick off an RMA i guess and just assume it was spectacular timing that it died while i was fighting driver issues haha
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Just to report that with latest official driver release, EL still works fine.

BTW Vice, did you also update EM with the new system? (you should)

Edit by Vice to answer:

Glad it's all working!

Unfortunately, no, EM does not use the new system nor is it practical to try and backport it to that game. EM uses a very different and much older (Windows XP era) version of the development platform that doesn't share many of the changes and customized revisions we worked on to support development goals in EL. The two development system versions even use different display models beyond control system differences. It may be possible to change EM to the newer development platform in terms of moving over to different display technology, but it still won't be practical to try and backport the new control system to it (would likely take far more time than I could feasibly set aside for it). Plus, if I did port EM to the new development system, it would lose support for Windows XP (might not be such a big deal these days) and certain display functions (the intro video would need to be removed for example). So EM will likely remain as it is and if anything were to change with the control system within Windows 10, it will either need to be done by Microsoft via updates to provide support for the device and its driver or Madcatz (soon to be the new owner, Logitech) will need to correct the issue in the driver.

So for anyone interested in an Evochron designed with Windows 10 compatibility for the X55, Legacy is probably the only option at this point. EM was just designed back when XP was the primary version of Windows used by gamers with a much different and older level of technology at the time that doesn't appear to be supported in Windows 10 (or the Saitek driver for Windows 10) any more.

Edit (for April 2017 Windows 10 Creators Update):

I ran some additional tests after the Windows 10 Creators Update was released (build 1709) and it appears that the X55 HOTAS now operates correctly using the older system in EM. I was able to map each axis as needed on both separate throttle and stick devices within the game. So it appears this may have been fixed in either the 1709 Windows 10 update and/or in the driver for the device on the latest version of Windows 10.
---
NLS