[EL 1.01X] X55 does not work properly in Windows 10 *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

X55 works in EM and all other games, but not properly in EL

Post by NLS »

It is Windows 10 x64. Latest build (10586.63).
X55 driver should be the latest (.41?)...
Controller is on powered USB 3.0 hub.

Games it works fine are (among others): X-Plane, Elite Dangerous, Flight Simulator X, DCS World.

I will retest EM too.

[Edited on 20-1-2016 by NLS]

---
NLS
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Run JoystickConfig you posted in other thread (sorry for opening this, but the subject didn't help me).

It detects both devices with name.
My throttle buttons are detected ok, also all 6 throttle axis (first one is duplicated after axis 7).
My stick? No button or axis detected at all.

Note that my setup does NOT allow me to switch USB ports or put throttle and stick on different ports.
I would like to keep my setup as is (on a powered USB hub on my desk).
---
NLS
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Sorry but I opened another thread. Same case, but I opened my thread because the subject here is wrong. It doesn't involve X55 not detected at all. My throttle part is detected.
Here are my details:
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... #pid182885
(you might want to merge)
---
NLS
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It is Windows 10 x64. Latest build (10586.63).
X55 driver should be the latest (.41?)...
Controller is on powered USB 3.0 hub.

Games it works fine are (among others): X-Plane, Elite Dangerous, Flight Simulator X, DCS World.

I will retest EM too.
Can you verify it works in EM? Both games use the same Windows DirectInput system, so it would be very strange if one worked and the other didn't.

Edit: Also, I now have one on order. So once it arrives, I can begin local testing on my two Windows 10 machines for further troubleshooting.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

You will have fun with it anyway. :D

(what HOTAS you use now?)

I'll get back after testing EM.

EDIT: TESTED. Same issue.
My mistake, last time I played EM was with my X45.

---
NLS
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

X52 here, which has generally worked just fine on Windows 10 for me. So it'll be interesting to see how the X55 works in comparison.

One way or another, I will try to figure out a solution, even if it means coming up with some kind of custom profile setup just for that device on Windows 10. Once I can determine what is breaking down and where, then I'll have a better idea of about what I may be able to do on the game side of thing to make it work.
StarWraith 3D Games
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jarhead0331 »

From post: 182886, Topic: tid=12237, author=NLS wrote:Sorry but I opened another thread. Same case, but I opened my thread because the subject here is wrong. It doesn't involve X55 not detected at all. My throttle part is detected.
Here are my details:
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtop ... #pid182885
(you might want to merge)
Dude, my subject title is not WRONG. It accurately describes the issue I am having. Sorry your issue is different.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Semantics. Leave it be.
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jarhead0331 »

From post: 183058, Topic: tid=12237, author=Marvin wrote:Semantics. Leave it be.
Sorry. He said it 3 times. I felt it was within my rights to correct him.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

It was. I just didn't want it to go any further.
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jarhead0331 »

Vice...any progress or ideas on this? This is really frustrating. Nothing I do solves this problem. On top of it, if I plug in my xboxOne gamepad, it detects it as a third device, but in game does absolutely nothing.

None of my devices work in this game and it is clearly an issue of the game just not liking something about Windows 10. Still, this is a new game and it should be 100% compatible with Windows 10.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Why other controllers works fine and the X55 (and maybe the Xbox controller on your system) don't remains a mystery. What's also strange is that several people have them running on Windows 10 just fine. Seems X52's, Pros, Logitech, and most others work fine also. So I still don't know why it's specific to the X55 and specific to Windows 10. I do have an X55 on order, should arrive in the first week in February. Once I have my hands on one, I should be able to run some tests to determine more.

I've also reached out to Madcatz for assistance, but haven't heard back from them yet.
StarWraith 3D Games
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Thanks Vice. You'll nail this for sure.

Guys, since you took the time to answer my comment, I might as well do the same.
Esp. since you talk about semantics...

1) I talk about the subject TWO times and not three.

2) One of the two times was that the title didn't help me (as my issue is different) so it cannot be misinterpreted in any way: "sorry for opening this, but the subject didn't help me".

3) This thread starts (properly) about the issue of not detecting any controller (although if you want to stick to specifics, it does detect two devices, so not "not at all", just "not working" - but let's not get that picky) , but then evolves about other people that have the same issue as me. So in that sense the subject is wrong, just not the fault of the OP.

If you want to criticise details be punctual yourselves.
I could just claim "language barrier" (I am Greek) and leave it at that, but I really didn't like the tone.
---
NLS
andy_3_913
Ensign
Ensign

Post by andy_3_913 »

From post: 183315, Topic: tid=12237, author=Vice wrote: Why other controllers works fine and the X55 (and maybe the Xbox controller on your system) don't remains a mystery. What's also strange is that several people have them running on Windows 10 just fine. Seems X52's, Pros, Logitech, and most others work fine also. So I still don't know why it's specific to the X55 and specific to Windows 10. I do have an X55 on order, should arrive in the first week in February. Once I have my hands on one, I should be able to run some tests to determine more.

I've also reached out to Madcatz for assistance, but haven't heard back from them yet.
Hi, sorry for hijacking the topic, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the TFlight Hotas X getting the hat recognised.

Everything else seems to be.
All working in the device settings. Working properly in Elite Dangerous, but not in Evochron Legacy.

(Did a quick forum search, can't find any mention of the TFlight.)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Did you select one of the dedicated HAT control modes in the main Options menu? This game provides dedicated HAT control options that fit with its angular signal returns, rather than mapping each individual angle/direction.
StarWraith 3D Games
jureidinim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jureidinim »

Hi - just found this thread as I also am having trouble with the X55.

As same as user NLS, I play the same games with no issue on Windows 10 (Elite, DCS, etc). All of these games work beautifully with the X55 on windows 10. Evochron just will not recognize my throttle.

On the steam forums I was also talking about it: http://steamcommunity.com/app/398170/di ... 806348/#p2
At that time, the game didnt recognize the stick nor throttle.

Thanks to steam user Megatherion pointing me to a free program called JoyID, I realized the Device Id was swapped for stick and throttle - stick was Dev2, throttle was Dev1.
I used the JoyId program to switch the Device Id's to match windows 10 settings and now, at least, Evochron successfully recognizes my stick - but still not throttle.
Evochron does show Device 2 - but none of the sliders move in response to throttle axis/button usage.

Windows 10 settings shows the stick fine and even the calibration screen is good, but the throttle calibration/test screen appears blank.
So, I'm guessing, if Windows 10 is having a problem fully recognizing it, Evochron will have difficulty too if it is relying on windows fully for the information.

I have since tried (twice) to uninstall/reinstall the drivers but its with the same outcome.

@Vice - I'm happy to hear you will be getting your own X5 setup to test. I'll let you know that from all my searching on the internet for a fix for this, it does appear MadCatz dropped the ball a bit on their driver support for Windows 10, as weird things have been reported by users which they haven't responded to.
One was if you plug out the stick while machine is on, the mouse starts lagging and nothing responds - forcing a reboot. This was also happening to me - but since I used JoyID to correct the Device Id's it seems much more stable now.

As other games work fine with the stick, I'm sure you will find a way to programatically work around what seems to be the stick drivers interfacing with Windows.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for the report and information. You are likely correct jureidinim, if Windows can't see it, neither can the game because the game uses the standard Windows input system for device signals. The big question remains, why? I just don't know yet. But I'm starting to conclude the same thing that it's merely some kind of driver quirk specific to that device on Windows 10. Especially since so many other joysticks (including most of Saitek's own) work fine within Windows 10 and using their latest drivers. But not the X55 overall, even though some appear to be able to get it to work.

I can also add that I did review the codebase extensively and nothing appears to be incorrectly done or in error within the game. So that's why I have no other direction to try at this time. Once I get the X55, I can begin testing and troubleshooting to try and figure out why it's not working.

The beta driver (unsigned) and old pre-beta driver (signed) may be a key factor. Windows 10 is only six months old as a released OS and there are still lingering functionality issues in a variety of aspects with it, not the least of which being USB ports, power management, and device drivers. I have myself personally run into several functionality issues with Windows 10 on 3 of my test machines, all hardware/device/driver related, although none of which having to do with joysticks.

The most recent driver release for the X55 appears to be from September 2015, two months before the 1511 update for Windows 10 came out, and nothing since then. I read of other device breaking adventures with the Windows 10 1511 update (one such example: http://www.avsim.com/topic/479362-windo ... tastrophe/ ). So I can't yet rule out that the problem ultimately rests somewhere outside of the game (which uses the standard DI foundation that has worked for years on every other version of Windows, and aside from this issue, also works fine on Windows 10 with pretty much any other joystick). Other games may use different mechanisms and/or their own custom setups which haven't been affected by the problem, but I don't know.

The driver from Madcatz was also a beta driver and was not signed, which from what I've read/googled suggests Windows 10 may even remove it and reinstall the old signed drivers unexpectedly as part of its 'automatic forced update' process, putting back old functionality that may be broken for some users.

Perhaps the driver can't yet signal to DirectInput across multiple device channels on Windows 10 properly yet. That may be a possibility since the device can be swapped on one ID channel, but not used at the same time across multiple ID's. Why? I don't know yet, I'll need the device in hand to test things further. Every other Saitek product I own or have had tested by others has worked fine (including on Windows 10), so it's just this one device and just on Windows 10, and then only for some as others seem to be running the X55 in the game on Windows 10 just fine. So Windows 10 and the X55 with the Sept. beta driver is the combination I need to set up and test with.

If there is a way I can code around the problem and force it to work, I'll likely be able to figure something out and come up with a work-around. For now, it's waiting until it arrives and if I can get an answer back from Madcatz.
StarWraith 3D Games
jureidinim
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jureidinim »

Looking forward to you fixing it :-)
I'm sure you'll be able to do it once you can test it for yourself.

I missed out a lot on Evochron Mercenary for the same reason... at least here now i get the stick working so i'll bumble through the tutorial in the meantime :-)

Having used HOTAS for my setup for so many years - it just doesn't feel right not using it.. lol
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jarhead0331 »

Maybe we should post total system specs? It's weird that some people on Windows 10 have the stick detected and some don't. No matter what I do, the game fails to detect my stick or my throttle. I tried the JoyID program and my stick was listed as device 1 and throttle was listed as device 2.

My system:

ABS Vortex Omega ALI040 Gaming Desktop
PC Intel Core i7 5820K (3.30 GHz)
32GB DDR4 Ram
3 TB HDD
240 GB SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti 4 GB
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
andy_3_913
Ensign
Ensign

Post by andy_3_913 »

From post: 183438, Topic: tid=12237, author=Vice wrote: Did you select one of the dedicated HAT control modes in the main Options menu? This game provides dedicated HAT control options that fit with its angular signal returns, rather than mapping each individual angle/direction.
Yes. I did.
Seems to be half working, as in I can move right and down, or it may be left and up (can't access game at the minute.)

Running Win7 pro, i7-2600, 8gb, gtx960.

Cheers
BangHowdy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BangHowdy »

I finally had some time to do a little bit of troubleshooting. I noticed that the joy.cpl calibration screen for the throttle was blank. I ended up trying every USB port on my computer and finally found the magical combination of ports that allowed Windows 10 to see both the throttle and the stick. I went through every combination of two USB ports and only one combination would work with both the stick and the throttle being detected properly in joy.cpl.

It kind of looks like it's a combination of a few things: 1) the X55 being sensitive as to which USB ports are being used 2) a half-baked Windows 10 driver from Mad Catz/Saitek 3) the 1511 build update for Windows 10.

I was able to work my way through half of the tutorials and can't wait to start playing the game.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Great, thanks for the information. That seems to generally be the case, likely due to one or more of the causes you stated. If Windows can see it (ie joy.cpl), so can the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Not my case.

joy.cpl detects both fine where they are.
EL, not.

[Edited on 26-1-2016 by NLS]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---
NLS
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The game sees one in that case, just not the other. That's where I think either a USB port or ID sorting, or driver factor might be involved. I'll be very curious to do some testing once the unit arrives.
StarWraith 3D Games
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jarhead0331 »

I'm in the same camp as our Greek friend. Windows detects both devices fine, but EL recognizes neither.

I've also tried several combinations of ports to no avail.