[EL 1.01X] X55 does not work properly in Windows 10 *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

X55 works in EM and all other games, but not properly in EL

Post by Bodega »

Hi NLS,
I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. Did you make sure you met all the prerequisites that were in Vice's reply? The .NET Legacy? You did that? When was the last time you updated your USB motherboard drivers? New ones come out all the time. I can help you if you've never done this.

Also, are you using the Beta Win 10 drivers? Off of the Saitek FTP? I have the X52 and the beta ones get updated every few months and were in a different place than the regular drivers.

Here is the website, it's MadKatz that has the actual drivers. These drivers are the latest that work with Windows 10. I had the Saitek drivers and they weren't as up to date as these ones: http://madcatz.kayako.com/Knowledgebase ... re-release

If you're running Windows 10, 64 Bit, the X-55 drivers are specifically here: ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/beta/Windows10/

The ftp link I posted above is the same one that the Madcatz.Kayako.com website will take you to if you click the orange button. There are some instructions there. It's an official website. The website that's in the canned email response doesn't even have drivers, I installed them once and it was like Pro-Flight for Flight Sim X.

I hope this helps, jump on our discord server and I'll help you step by step if you need.

Sorry if this sounds condescending, I have no idea what your proficiency is with computers so I try to make it simple, no offense intended.

[Edited on 2-9-2016 by Bodega]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The control module was finished earlier today and I've spent the time since integrating it into the game's axis and button input systems. It's about ready for testing, so anyone who would like to try the new control system, please send me a quick e-mail and I can provide the download link and instructions to you probably in about 10-12 hours or so. Here are some important details on this new system:

Features of the new control system:

- Should support the X55 on Windows 10 regardless of whether the devices are sorted properly in Windows joy.cpl (this is the #1 priority for testing).
- Support for 10 fully independent axis channels per device (no longer limited to 7 primary and 3 secondary).
- Full device names listed at top of the axis and button configuration menus.
- Added support for POV/HAT inputs for button functions.
- Overall tighter and more accurate response.

What will likely change when updating to the new control system:

- Axis channels will be mapped to different ID's. This may vary by device type. So you will likely need to remap your axis controls in the axis configuration menu.
- New axis input options may now be available to you that weren't before.

What shouldn't change when updating to the new control system:

- Buttons should remain mapped the same way they were before under the old system. However, this may not be true for all devices across all operating systems. So just be aware that you may also need to remap button controls after updating.

If you do not want to use the new control system and would prefer to keep the original system, that option is still available as both systems have been left in place for players to select which one they prefer. To keep the old control system in place, simply place a text file named 'deviceinputold.txt' in the game's install folder. It can contain nothing or the word 'enable' in the first line. It will be best to migrate to the new system as it will be the default/standard going forward, but the 'legacy' control system will remain for those who wish to continue using it.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

From post: 184904, Topic: tid=12237, author=Bodega wrote:...
Thanks Bodega, I am rather proficient with computers. :)
(given that it is my job and I am involved the last 32 years, 20 of them professionally :D )

If you need any help let me know. :D

No offence taken of course.
---
NLS
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

From post: 185034, Topic: tid=12237, author=Vice wrote:...
Thanks Vice!
Will PM you email (you don't already have that from the registration?).

Is this an exe replacement? Will it be ok for Steam version?
(Maybe you should use Steam beta system?)
---
NLS
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bodega »

From post: 185035, Topic: tid=12237, author=NLS wrote:
From post: 184904, Topic: tid=12237, author=Bodega wrote:...
Thanks Bodega, I am rather proficient with computers. :)
(given that it is my job and I am involved the last 32 years, 20 of them professionally :D )

If you need any help let me know. :D

No offence taken of course.
Hahaha, good to hear! You never can tell, I do IT support and some of the people that contact us usually fail to do the most basic troubleshooting. I had to fix one person because she couldn't login to our system. Local IT couldn't figure it out either. They could login just fine on her account, but everytime she tried she couldn't get in. I connect to her PC, figuring she's somehow messing up the password. I have her login and she gets a login error. I unmask the password field and that's correct. I take control of her PC and login 5 times, under her account with no issue. I then tell her to type her login again and I notice something. She's hitting the spacebar after each time she inputs her username, leaving a trailing space. I was like "wtf is she doing that?!" Thankfully that was one of the easier ones I deal with, some aren't the end-users fault and those tickets suck.

I'm glad Vice has already worked out the control system, seems it will benefit everyone. Really good news all around (not so sure how happy Vice's family is though, he might be sleeping in the doghouse soon if he doesn't put the keyboard down. j/k I have no idea what his home life is like. I know I'm a customer for life because of the way he treats the community, implements bug fixes and helps people.

Cheers!
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Hahaha story of my life.

Just two little screen-related stories:

- Guy called me because his monitor "wasn't working". Turns out the power plug was pulled out. I wonder if this happens on his TV, if he will call the electrician.

- (this is a bit older and it shows) Friend (not customer), had her monitor "dead" for a couple of months (not being able to work at home and all), until I had a chance to look into the matter. Turns out, when she was cleaning it, she turned the rotary brightness and contrast controls to zero!

Back to Vice and EL. Actually the community convinced me for EM and Vice... and I followed up to EL (although I have really few hours on EM in comparison to ED - lots of acronyms here) because I just wanted to reward a lone dev that stands by his products as Vice does.

I now have my second boy (born last Sunday) and eager to go see him after work, but also eager to test Vice's new system. :) Not same level really (of course), but this must say much anyway.

[Edited on 11-2-2016 by NLS]
---
NLS
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bodega »

Congrats on the new baby. I can't wait until mine gets old enough to start playing games with.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I've sent out e-mails to those I've had addresses for. The test build is available for the direct download version as well as through the beta option on Steam if you are running that version of the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

nice, thats a hell of a turnaround. ill try to put it through the paces tonight
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

My report: Well... perfect.
I even hot-removed the stick, moved it to other USB slot (while game was on) and it worked flawlessly.

You nailed it. Congrats.

(now to find a way to export button/axis profiles for others)
---
NLS
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Excellent, thanks for testing it and posting the results. There are a few things needed to clean it up (one of them being a runtime dependency that should be removed), then if other tests come back good, I can work toward integrating it into the next update.

Edit: For anyone who might run into a problem with the game just closing and not launching when starting it, you may need to install the following runtime from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784

[Edited on 2-11-2016 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

seems to be working! in my case it reversed the devices from what id previously set up (i.e. before device 1 was stick and 2 was throttle, now throttle comes up first) which means i have to remap everything...but honestly i was thinking of remapping everything anyway so no big deal lol

thanks a ton!
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

actually quick update now that ive started remapping..it seems like not all of the axes are detected on my throttle

axis 1/2 work as the two sides of the throttle as expected, and the RTY3 knob is showing up as axis 3, but the G and F rotaries dont cause any of the axes to move, nor does the RTY4 knob

i'll screw around a bit on my end and see if i can find anything else useful. if it means anytyhing, currently the Test tabs for my devices in joy.cpl aren't showing anything as well

[Edited on 2-11-2016 by Eduardolicious]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That limitation may be a driver-side issue specific to that setup, that I may not be able to do anything about (the driver failing to properly relay the signals for those channels from the device to the DI interface). Does the stick work correctly?

Also, toggle through the device list at the top, see if there might be another entry for the throttle there as well. And although I don't think it will make any difference (pretty sure it's device/driver bound), you can try installing the runtime from Microsoft at the link I posted above.
StarWraith 3D Games
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

all three axes on the stick are working, but only getting the 3 on the throttle. tried clicking thru devices and no others listed

im wondering if im in the weird win10 limbo where i need to delete the devices and reboot again (but then i wonder if thisll just crop up later again)

im also starting to wonder if maybe this is a problem with win10 preview program vs actual version?

already have the vc redist installed as well. i'll keep poking around
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

What build of Windows 10 are you using? That could indeed affect whether it works right if you are using a pre-release version of Windows 10.

If you reinstall them, be sure to plug in the stick first before the throttle when setting them up.
StarWraith 3D Games
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

so..this is interesting. i'm still receiving updates regularly, and insider hub says im still receiving preview updates, but my build is 10240 which according to the internet is from...july? what the heck

looks like i have a project to get to the bottom of for the long weekend, ugh
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That's the original RTM build, so I'd check on making sure that's updated and you are running the correct beta driver from Madcatz. If either of those two conditions aren't met, there may be issues trying to get the X55 working correctly on Windows 10.
StarWraith 3D Games
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Eduardo 10240 is really outdated. You should update the soonest possible.
You are definitely off-sync from preview updates.
Even non-preview releases are way forward from 10240.
10586.104 is latest (non insider) release.
Many updates from 10240 (which is a bit crappy).

Rechecked and all my axis are working, even "thumb mouse" reports as two extra axis (most games ignore it).

On the other hand "SLD" button is not detected, which I think should report as a continuous press button when slid to the right (but I am not 100% sure). Would be nice for a reverse throttle lock.

(BTW Vice you miss a reverse throttle TOGGLE button - I don't want to hold a button pressed for reverse, I want a toggle - think about it, thanks)

[Edited on 11-2-2016 by NLS]
---
NLS
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Rechecked and all my axis are working, even "thumb mouse" reports as two extra axis (most games ignore it).
Hadn't noticed that, interesting. I'll try it myself. It must return a valid axis signals where as the one below doesn't.
On the other hand "SLD" button is not detected, which I think should report as a continuous press button when slid to the right (but I am not 100% sure). Would be nice for a reverse throttle lock.
That may be some kind of proprietary setup then, something out of range of the 32 button indexes I can access. I'll look further into it, but if this new system can't pick it up, it will probably have to be mapped in their own proprietary software.

Edit: Looks like the new control system can scan values above that limit and indeed, the SLD slider does return a signal on index 34 when moved out. So I'm including support for that in the next update.
(BTW Vice you miss a reverse throttle TOGGLE button - I don't want to hold a button pressed for reverse, I want a toggle - think about it, thanks)
Not missed, that's what the full range toggle is for. I still keep the reverse switch on the G button on the throttle though for time of quick reverse, then release to return to forward only. Otherwise, use the full range toggle for reverse throttle.

[Edited on 2-12-2016 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
BangHowdy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BangHowdy »

I was able to try out the new control system for a few minutes. I'll do more testing tomorrow when I have more time.

All of the axes on my X55 are now working. The joy.cpl test tabs are empty but the stick and throttle are working fine in-game.

Thanks a lot Vice. I was already impressed with the loyalty program but the support you have shown in dealing with this issue has made me a Starwraith 3D customer for life!!!!!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks for posting the results and for your support, glad it's working well.
StarWraith 3D Games
Radikal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Radikal »

From post: 185073, Topic: tid=12237, author=Vice wrote: Not missed, that's what the full range toggle is for. I still keep the reverse switch on the G button on the throttle though for time of quick reverse, then release to return to forward only. Otherwise, use the full range toggle for reverse throttle.
In full range throttle, the afterburner used to go forward with throttle set full reverse, has this now been fixed?
(I'm not home to check, recovering from surgery)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

No, but it will be now.
StarWraith 3D Games
Eduardolicious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eduardolicious »

From post: 185072, Topic: tid=12237, author=NLS wrote:Eduardo 10240 is really outdated. You should update the soonest possible.
You are definitely off-sync from preview updates.
Even non-preview releases are way forward from 10240.
10586.104 is latest (non insider) release.
Many updates from 10240 (which is a bit crappy).
yeah i checked a few things online and people mysteriously being stuck on 10240 looks like its pretty common. none of the fixes people suggest seem to work so i'm just reinstalling this weekend lol

honestly theres been a lot of little problems i never really thought about but are probably related to this