[EL 1.01X] X55 does not work properly in Windows 10 *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 1.01X] X55 does not work properly in Windows 10 *FIXED*

Post by Jarhead0331 »

I purchased Evochron Legacy on Steam last night and the game does not seem to detect my X55 Rhino HOTAS set up at all.

None of the axis appear to be working on either the stick or throttle. The settings options give me Device 1 and Device 2 to configure, but neither device seems to be detected in the settings.

I have unplugged all other USB devices other than for my wireless keyboard and mouse and TrackIR.

The Rhino works with all other applications.

I am running on Windows 10.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 1-19-2016 by Jarhead0331]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

X55 works in EM and all other games, but not properly in EL

Post by Vice »

Are you using the Sept 2015 driver or a different version? When this has come up recently with one other person, it turned out to be related to USB port dependencies the X55 had. Oddly, the problem only occurred with Windows 10. Double oddly, it only occurred with my game and one other (another space-sim). Other games seemed to play fine, but DirectInput seemed to have a problem on Windows 10 with certain port configuration/limitations that applied to games that used it. As such, it may be something addressed via a driver update or Windows update, but it's tough to speculate since the root problem is unknown (I still can't get an answer or track down where the problem is).

When the other user changed their X55 to different USB ports, it came alive and began to work fine. They now have the throttle and stick working correctly on all axis channels across two ID's (stick being on 1, throttle being on 2). This worked for both space games they play.

I do have a support e-mail sent out to Madcatz to inquire into the issue, haven't heard back.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jarhead0331 »

Thanks for looking into this Vice.

Yes, it occurred to me to try different ports for my X55 setup, but then I believe it will break other games, so I was hoping to avoid this. I finally found the two ports that seemed to be "simpatico" with everything.

I'm unsure of the driver version for the X55, but I will try different ports tonight when I get home before I start chasing down different drivers.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Keep in mind that you'll probably need to have the X55 and any other EL controller plugged in before starting the game.
BangHowdy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BangHowdy »

I am having the same problem. My X55 is not being detected at all. I have tried switching USB ports (both USB2 and USB3 ports) with no luck.

I am running Windows 10 64-bit with the X55_Rhino_7_0_41_10_x64_Drivers from Saitek's site.

The X55 is working in Elite Dangerous and it is working fine in the Rhino software.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If the device is not being detected at all, then perhaps that scenario would have something to do with the USB power management mode/settings you are using. AFAIK, Windows 10 includes power management systems that disable USB devices/ports as an energy management feature. This could leave your game device entirely offline and not activated when launching this game, whereas they are somehow woken up with using the Rhino software or another game. Not sure if that would be it or not, but it'd be worth looking into. Reading around the net for the same or similar problems in other games seems to indicate either specific USB port dependencies the X55 has with Windows 10 or energy management functionality within the OS itself. Generally seems fixable with one or the other.

Still no reply back from Madcatz, starting to think I won't hear from them.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Another thing I'd be interested in is how many people with X55 problems on Windows 10 updated to the 1511 build of 10? That update appears to have caused quite a number of problems with USB devices (and there are no current drivers available from Madcatz since September 2015, long before this Windows 10 update rolled out). So I'd like to gauge how many X55 users have updated to the 1511 version of Windows 10 and how many are still running the older version.
StarWraith 3D Games
BangHowdy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BangHowdy »

I'm running build 1511.
cyberbask
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cyberbask »

Same problem here.

But my throttle is detected in device 2. All other games works fine.

Thx :)
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, thanks BangHowdy.

Cyber, you may just have the USB port dependency issue. Changing to different/compatible ports Windows 10 is more 'friendly' with might work for you.

I don't think it would make a difference, but out of curiosity, has anyone tried launching the game in the 'Locked (FS) NoVsync' screen mode? I'm wondering if Windows 10 might view that type of launch a bit differently in the way it handles power management and USB ports.
StarWraith 3D Games
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jarhead0331 »

Vice...I tried the Locked No Vsync mode and tried several different USB port combinations (I have like 9 different ports, some in the back, and some front). No dice. Nothing worked and it looks like the devices are not being detected at all. No movement in axis notches in the settings screen.

I appreciate your efforts to solve this. I don't think it should be viewed as a Windows 10 or MadCatz issue. I have literally dozens of games that use my Rhino without any issue.

I'm a real fan of your games and really appreciate what you accomplish as a solo developer. I want to support you and do not want to request a refund from Steam, but if I can't play the game, I can't play the game, you know?

Thanks again.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by Jarhead0331]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Totally understand. Why it works fine for some and not for others remains a mystery. Without more information, I guess there's nothing I can do either at this point to determine why using Window's own DInput system isn't working on some Windows 10 systems with X55 controllers. I'll keep it on my radar though and continue to try and hunt for solutions, whether game-side or not.
StarWraith 3D Games
Jarhead0331
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jarhead0331 »

From post: 182791, Topic: tid=12202, author=Vice wrote: Totally understand. Why it works fine for some and not for others remains a mystery. Without more information, I guess there's nothing I can do either at this point to determine why using Window's own DInput system isn't working on some Windows 10 systems with X55 controllers. I'll keep it on my radar though and continue to try and hunt for solutions, whether game-side or not.
Thanks. That is all anyone could ask. Please keep us posted of any developments.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

As a test to try and acquire more information, I've put together a revised version of the joystick test program found in other threads. This version displays all raw signal data from every detected device Windows reports as available. I'd like to know if you see any response on different device ID channels and axis channels.

The key information will be displayed in the middle of the window below 'Raw Axis Signals'. Each device will be assigned its own column below that heading and each axis channel is displayed vertically from 1 to 32. Few devices have more than 10 axis signals, so any redundant ones will likely duplicate the last detectable axis channel.

Please try this program and let me know what your results are. I'm interested in whether the devices show up in the master list at the top, then what axis signals react to each control input and on what axis channel. You'll need to place it in the game's save data folder (default c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy) for it to retrieve needed configuration data.

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegac ... Config.zip
StarWraith 3D Games
Vernum
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vernum »

Hello i have the same problem on windows 10 64 bit build 1511. I tried all the ports on my x55 joystick and evochron only detects the throttle with different axis of the same throttle separated 2 different devices. I use a multiscreen setup with pointy joystick test software to check that the joystick was working while i was running evochron. And the joystick test software shows that the joystick entry are all working properly while the game is running but the joystick just isnt detected ingame.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Cool, thanks for joining in and posting. Please give the program at the link above a try and let me know what your results are.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vernum
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vernum »

I have placed JoystickConfig.exe in the steamapps\\common\\Evochron Legacy folder but when i run it, i get "runtime error 105 - File does not exist at line 36", when trying to run it in C:\\Users\\myusername\\Documents\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy, it just start and quickly auto close without error.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by Vernum]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

You need to place it in the default save data folder (specifics here: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3433 ) which is c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronLegacy
StarWraith 3D Games
Vernum
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vernum »

Oh i see sorry, i thought that was instruction for the non steam version. I found that folder at the default location as you said then placed that file in it but it launch and auto closes very fast, in the task manager I see the program named darkbasic pro project (32bit) appear for 2 second then disappear.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Interesting result then, it could just an issue with the device name query causing a crash. I'll put together another test build without and will post it shortly...
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, here is the new one without the name lookup:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegac ... IDName.zip

If this one crashes, then it could be dependency related. If it crashes, please send me a quick e-mail (starwraith.com > contact) and I'll send over some files that should help resolve it.

[Edited on 1-20-2016 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
cyberbask
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cyberbask »

It works.

I went to the Windows Control Panel => Devices and Printers .
Right click on the Throttle and click "remove device".
Right click on the Stick and click "remove device".
Unplug the Throttle and the Stick.
Plug again in the same USB Ports.

Works for me.
Vernum
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vernum »

Doing your method reversed the problem for me. Now evochron detects the joystick but not the throttle.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I went to the Windows Control Panel => Devices and Printers .
Right click on the Throttle and click "remove device".
Right click on the Stick and click "remove device".
Unplug the Throttle and the Stick.
Plug again in the same USB Ports.
That technique appears to work for some other games in Windows 10 also. Although for certain systems, it seems to do what it did for Vernum as though reversing the device list, but still not allowing both USB ports to work at the same time. I'd really be interested in learning why this behavior occurs with Windows 10.

I am looking into possible work arounds, including older input systems which did get a partial response (thanks for Vernum for help with testing). But Windows 10 seems to have some quirky USB behavior that produced some strange results even with my X52 on one of my Windows 10 systems I tested last night (and not even in a game, lol). I'll plan on posting here if anything new surfaces.
StarWraith 3D Games
NLS
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by NLS »

Well you gotta fix this.

It's not a matter of USB port and all the things I've read. The controller works fine as is in ALL other games I use it for.

EL detects two controllers, but I can only use axis on the throttle. When I choose the other controller (which supposedly would be the stick), nothing is detected. So it either just shows me a ghost device, or doesn't read the controller.

In any case this is definitely EL issue, not X55.
Remember X55 uses TWO USB ports.

If you need me to help debugging this, let me know.
---
NLS